Take a Look Inside the New Mustang Transmissions

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
"Low Shift Effort"
"Optimal Cold Shifting"

HAHAHA

Sid, your experience with the MT82 echoes mine EXACTLY. The gears don't grind, they crunch and the pedal is all over the place.

Only exception with mine is it also wines nicely in 1st through 3rd gears.

My own personal guess is that the clutch and shift linkage assemblies are to blame for many of the typical problems users are seeing. There's obviously a few transmissions out there that are truly F'd however.

I'm hopefull that there is a fix released by Ford. However it does sound like there's some promise from the aftermarket. A quality clutch from a maker like McCleod or Centerforce along with a proper flywheel will likely cure up the pedal, while a new shifter linkage from a company like MGW would cure up the shifts.

Shops are beating the piss out of these cars on the stock transmissions and they seem to be holding up. My guess is the unit itself is probably okay, it's input systems need attention.

We'd probably have a solid answer for this, but who honestly wants to go spend $2000+ to replace all that when it realistically should be a warranty item. I know that's where I find myself anyway.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
every mustang GT i have shifted has been shitty. Just lots of new first time mustang owners. Most them have no idea what they are talking about. They think they have a problem, when they really dont. mine shifts perfect.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
every mustang GT i have shifted has been shitty. Just lots of new first time mustang owners. Most them have no idea what they are talking about. They think they have a problem, when they really dont. mine shifts perfect.

STFU already!!!! :bash::bash::bash:

most of us have had numerous mustangs and other high horsepower cars and know how to shift a damn manual transmission.

ViciousJay

Established Member
STFU already!!!! :bash::bash::bash:

most of us have had numerous mustangs and other high horsepower cars and know how to shift a damn manual transmission.

listen man i have to admit this that i have NO ISSUES and i kinda have to agree with him, ill say removing the helper spring has def helped... but i still have yet to sit and actually feel the issue most talk about

SVT_4_me

Established Member
listen man i have to admit this that i have NO ISSUES and i kinda have to agree with him, ill say removing the helper spring has def helped... but i still have yet to sit and actually feel the issue most talk about

that's great that you don't have issues. but just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else is making it up. i'm sick of hearing that shit...

ViciousJay

Established Member
that's great that you don't have issues. but just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else is making it up. i'm sick of hearing that shit...

well im really thinking that 80% of the people with issues are resulted from them, just cuz you can plow a 10 sec car down the lane doesnt mean you can drive

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

This is the stupidest rationale I have ever read and so far it's the only argument you make. In fact I have yet to see you provide anything positive to the mustang community at all

While a t5 may not shift precisely and it may be notchy, there's a difference between a notchy shifter with a positive feeling and what's going on with some of these transmissions. The best analogy I could possibly draw to how my transmission shifts would be if you were to try shifting the transmission with a catcher's mitt on. Did the shift occur? Am I only partially on the gear?

Furthermore, if Ford's statement of "We remain absolutely committed to the highest quality in all of our vehicles and are looking into this matter. We remain committed to continuous improvement." has any truth or validity, they should be improving how the vehicles drive. Regardless of how past mustangs have shifted. Consider also that past mustangs where 10,000 to 20,000 less than the current model.

You think everyone should love their car and be totally 100% satisfied, why not try helping to find a solution instead of being a troll?

SVT_4_me

Established Member
well im really thinking that 80% of the people with issues are resulted from them, just cuz you can plow a 10 sec car down the lane doesnt mean you can drive

i have never beat on my car, ever. never raced it, never powershifted it, never redlined it. it only has 1350 miles... it started acting up at 800 miles, and has progressively gotten worse. you can think whatever you want, that is fine.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I'd like to the differences between a V160, (Getrag used in MKIV Supras) and the MT82.

03.014.07%20031.jpg

getrag_v160_size_diagram_small.jpg

100_0017.JPG

PC070081.jpg

The V160 has put full weight Supras deep into the 8s and over 240mph in a standing mile with nothing but an upgraded clutch. Quite possibly the stoutest manual transmission ever put in a car, crushing anything a TR-6060 or T56 has ever been capable of handling.

I'm hoping all the problems associated with the MT82 are clutch related.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
The V160 has put full weight Supras deep into the 8s and over 240mph in a standing mile with nothing but an upgraded clutch. Quite possibly the stoutest manual transmission ever put in a car, crushing anything a TR-6060 or T56 has ever been capable of handling.

I'm hoping all the problems associated with the MT82 are clutch related.

was it made in china?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
was it made in china?

I'm not sure.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag_233_transmission]Toyota V transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

edit: Built in Germany.

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pages/technical/jza80/V160.htm

V160%20Schematic%20diagram%20-%20sideon%20-new.jpg

(A) Length - Bell housing to Output shaft 25.6" (650mm)
(B) Length - Bell housing to End case 24.4" (620mm)
(C) Length - Bell housing to Centre of Shifter 29.7" (755mm)
Width - Bell housing 15.5" (395mm)
Width - Gear Case (maximum) 8.5" (215mm)
(D) Height - Bell housing 14.1" (358mm)
(E) Height - Gear Case (maximum) 10.63" (270mm)
(F) Input Shaft OD 1.33" (34mm)

(A) Drive plate Diameter 252mm
(B) Drive plate surface area 50mm

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
i have never beat on my car, ever. never raced it, never powershifted it, never redlined it. it only has 1350 miles... it started acting up at 800 miles, and has progressively gotten worse. you can think whatever you want, that is fine.

Not trying to piss in your cheerios but have you owned a car with a hydraulic clutch? Also i did the excat opposite since i bought this car... I BEAT THE PISS OUT OF MINE! maybe your car doesnt like to be driven like pussy?

281Thunder

Established Member
I've owned and daily driven a manual trans car for the past 7 years now. The others being a 150k+ mile 92 Thunderbird SC with the M5R2, a 125k+ mile 98 SVT Contour with the MTX75, a 2010 STi for a bit, and now the Mustang. The Mustang is by far the worst shifting out of all of them. It's not notchy, it's clunky, it whines like a roots blower, and if I'm sitting at a stop in nuetral and try to go to 2nd, it feels like it binds up...but when I slightly let the clutch out, only then will it fully engage 2nd gear. The last thing doesn't always happen, but I don't care if Mustangs are known for "crappy shifting", I know that isn't supposed to happen. I've also never felt as much vibration in a shifter as I do this one, when cruising down the road, I can visibly see the shifter vibrating.

I'm sure there's going to be loyalists that still claim there is no problem, but I know what I experience, and something is definitely off. And shadowstang, I'm only a few hours from Allentown if you wanna drive down here, drive the car yourself, and call me a liar.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
Not trying to piss in your cheerios but have you owned a car with a hydraulic clutch? Also i did the excat opposite since i bought this car... I BEAT THE PISS OUT OF MINE! maybe your car doesnt like to be driven like pussy?

now you are just being a dick.

Users who are viewing this thread