Taking Car into Dealer for front end clunk warranty. Should I be upfront about my mod

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
About three month ago I began hearing a clunk somewhere on the car. At first it only happened when turning onto inclined driveway and occasionally taking off from a stop. It is not to the point where its popping every time i turn while the car is moving at low speeds/ hit larger bumps etc.

I suspect the I have a bad lower control arm bushing that I know there is a TSB for. However, my car has a BMR tubular k member. I have already double checked to make sure everything is tight. A car with 19k miles should sound worse than my truck with 180k.

Should I be upfront with the service adviser and say, yes this car has modifications, but if this is the issue, it is a known common problem kind of thing? OR should I just take my car in a pretend to be absolutely clueless?

jp1seattle

Established Member
I'd be upfront....most likely they are going to point to the k member anyway.

With the LCA tsb, that noise was more of a groan or creak than a clunk. I had that tsb done a couple years ago and it doesn't sound like what you are experiencing.

Either way, good luck getting yours sorted and post back what you find out.

ModBargains

Established Member
If you didn't tell him, which is probably the way I'd go unless I was real 'buddy-buddy' with the service guy, they still have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the aftermarket part is causing the noise in order to not warranty a part.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you didn't tell him, which is probably the way I'd go unless I was real 'buddy-buddy' with the service guy, they still have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the aftermarket part is causing the noise in order to not warranty a part.

Unfortunately, they don't.

Not to mention, if they snap a photo, send it to Ford, warranty gets denied....now that warranty claim will be denied at every Ford dealer across the nation unless they can prove something the first dealer couldn't.

I'd be upfront and tell them. It's not like they aren't going to notice it. If you're honest and tell them that it just started happening and your K member has been on there for XXXX miles, then they will be more inclined to look in to it further...instead of just blaming the k member and telling you to be on your way.

Just my $0.02.

scotmach

Established Member
No they don't.

AKDMB

Established Member
Did you get the K-Member in BMR Red? They will definitely notice that lol. A tech would have to be blind to miss a tube K when diagnosing a front end suspension issue.

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Its hammertone, but I will just be up front. The only other thing I can think it could be is the strut mount, which also happen to be shit on these cars.

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Well I jacked it up again last night, and made sure everything was to BMR spec. I even tried tightening the stut mount a little more along with the top strut nut. Sill there. Didnt notice any play in the ball joint or outer tie rod end. After looking up the control arm noise on youtube, i definitely dont think it is the damn control arm. I may just say screw it and keep driving it until I can buy springs, koni yellows, and some good caster/camber plates that replaced the OE bearing.

ModBargains

Established Member
Regardless of this or not I know we're all going to continue to modify cars, but those who are a bit concerned over loosing the factory warranty, this should shed some more light on the issue.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

scotmach

Established Member
That's for replacing parts like oil and air filters that aren't OEM. It's not meant to take the car beyond the parameters of what the manufacturer intended. With your logic one could strap on a turbo and still keep their warranty.

ModBargains

Established Member
That's for replacing parts like oil and air filters that aren't OEM. It's not meant to take the car beyond the parameters of what the manufacturer intended. With your logic one could strap on a turbo and still keep their warranty.

We both have two different perspectives on this so there's no point going back and forth on this if I'm honest. Everyone can form their own opinion on this, but the simple fact is that I've never had a problem with warranties with thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars into a car. Also it's worth it to add that over the 7-8 years that I've been in the parts industry, I've never had a customer have a warranty issue where a dealer voided a warranty because of an aftermarket part.

Good luck OP, I'm sure you'll be fine with the dealer pending the issue isn't coming from the aftermarket part itself.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's common sense.

No one will void the warranty on the suspension for changing out the factory clutch. Obviously it had no bearing on the situation.

But anyone that thinks you can add a bunch of performance parts to your car, then have your car fail due to the modifciation, not a chance it'll be covered.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Legally they do because of the Magnuson and Moss warranty act. I'm not saying all dealers play ball the way that we would want them to, but from a legal standpoint they do have to prove it.

Sure, you could fight it in court if Ford denies the warranty, but I guarantee Ford probably has more money to spend on lawyers than most consumers do.

Users who are viewing this thread