Talk about bang for your buck

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Reminds me of a funny story.

My buddy works for an independent import shop, he had a guy come in a few months back and was talking up a storm about his new car he just bought (S65). He said it had a shimmy under braking and wanted it checked out.

While the tech was looking at the car, the dude was bragging that he only paid $12k for this thing.

Tech comes back, rec's rear rotors and pads, everything else looks good. My buddy works up a quote and tells the dude it's $2900 and he said you could see the color leave his face. The guy stood there for a while and asked if they had an aftermarket option, which they did but it was $2200. He ended up taking the car and leaving. I think he thinks he can do it cheaper himself but there was hardly any labor built into that quote lol.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Reminds me of a funny story.

My buddy works for an independent import shop, he had a guy come in a few months back and was talking up a storm about his new car he just bought (S65). He said it had a shimmy under braking and wanted it checked out.

While the tech was looking at the car, the dude was bragging that he only paid $12k for this thing.

Tech comes back, rec's rear rotors and pads, everything else looks good. My buddy works up a quote and tells the dude it's $2900 and he said you could see the color leave his face. The guy stood there for a while and asked if they had an aftermarket option, which they did but it was $2200. He ended up taking the car and leaving. I think he thinks he can do it cheaper himself but there was hardly any labor built into that quote lol.

I just happened to look up Corvette ZR1 brakes out of curiosity and found out the front rotors are $1,500 ea. and the pads are ~$900 for the full set. $6k brake job? Yikes!! More than my 91' is worth lol

greenscobie86

Established Member
Cool car, but like everyone mentioned a fortune to maintain.

I wonder if that era had the SBC pumps or just standard hydraulic brakes? If the former then thats another potential expense.

I second the W211 E55 recommendation. Pretty good cars aside from the whole SBC thing and quick as hell too, my buddies 05 with a tune/ upgraded charge cooler yanked my stock 5.0 pretty hard repeatedly.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
No SBC on the W220 S class. Thankfully mine hasn't given me issues.

For service, most parts aren't much more than an equivalent Mustang part, and labor isn't too much more either. I have a good relationship with my local Benz dealer, and talked to the AMG tech the first time I needed service. The maintenance prices aren't too bad IMO. Now I know some Benz dealers will rip people off and overcharge for service and parts. But every brand has those dealers.

Like I said, if you're interested in a Mercedes sedan, the E55 is great. But I wouldn't put anyone off a well maintained and documented S65. It could be expensive, but are there really any cheap 600hp V12s available?

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
They may have a big hp number but they are slow for that number. I think they are only good for high 11's?

Funny story. Had a guy in one of these trying to hustle some import guys I knew at the cruise spot a couple years back. Wanting to race anyone for $100. The import guys knew I was down to race for cash so they flagged me down. Went out to the highway with a passenger in each car. 40 roll and I just walked away from him. It was pretty ugly. He paid up, but was very surprised that he lost. We chatted for a bit after and he bragged about how cheap he got the car. lol

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
We gave a local used car dealer a quote for $8000 to fix his issues, and he decided to dump the car. All of the issues were suspension and interior trim.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I just happened to look up Corvette ZR1 brakes out of curiosity and found out the front rotors are $1,500 ea. and the pads are ~$900 for the full set. $6k brake job? Yikes!! More than my 91' is worth lol
There's a little hidden gem if you can make them work, but GT350R complete front brake setups can be had for $1300 through Ford. I have a complete front kit that I got for $1100 with my discount. Got them about a year ago so prices may have changed but that is significantly cheaper than the $4500 it would cost for me to get a Brembo 6 piston set up for my car.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CO Mack

Established Member
There's a little hidden gem if you can make them work, but GT350R complete front brake setups can be had for $1300 through Ford. I have a complete front kit that I got for $1100 with my discount. Got them about a year ago so prices may have changed but that is significantly cheaper than the $4500 it would cost for me to get a Brembo 6 piston set up for my car.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

For what car? GT350s have radial calipers.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Cool car, but like everyone mentioned a fortune to maintain.

I wonder if that era had the SBC pumps or just standard hydraulic brakes? If the former then thats another potential expense.

I second the W211 E55 recommendation. Pretty good cars aside from the whole SBC thing and quick as hell too, my buddies 05 with a tune/ upgraded charge cooler yanked my stock 5.0 pretty hard repeatedly.

No SBC on S classes. That little gem was reserved for E's and SL's.

@black99lightnin ...are the G wagons reliable? I know MB has made them forever and they appear to be tanks. I am sure they come with some of the same caveats, years to avoid etc.

My wife want's one as her next vehicle. They are pretty reliable. The only thing I see as an issue, the driver front seat really doesn't have much for/aft movement, so I have no idea how tall people can drive them. And don't run them through a car wash, it messes up the wiper arms. Other than that, I really don't see many problems with them.

Users who are viewing this thread