Talk me into a tune?

kdaly

Established Member
Figure its time to void my warranty at 30k miles....so .... should I tune stock engined car as is? Only mod is Roush A/B...

Nobody's blown their motor from a reliable tuner in a few years on an otherwise stock car. Plenty of threads on this

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Nobody's blown their motor from a reliable tuner in a few years on an otherwise stock car. Plenty of threads on this

You think it gets a good seat of the pants HP increase with almost bone stock? Not wanting to run an off road pipe yet until i swap out the roush.

paulyboy928

Established Member
i'd wait till you got the offroad mid pipe just to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. that is unless you're not getting one for a while.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
i'd wait till you got the offroad mid pipe just to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. that is unless you're not getting one for a while.

I can get the Offroad right now, would just be a bit before I can shell out another 800 or so on a new AB that won't sound like shit.

I keep hearing how bad that Roush + o/r sounds like crap :(

paulyboy928

Established Member
i'm in the same boat as you my friend haha. I want to get rid of these roushes so bad but i don't have the stockers or the mula to grab another pair. And yes i've heard they're loud as hell with an offroad mid pipe.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
It's usually best to get a few mods and then a tune so you can do it all at once. I've read on a few threads that some say when you do intake and tune, it's the tune that gives the most vs just the CAI itself. Atleast on the 11 up 5.0's. I can see that since the stock set up flows pretty good. Go with a tuner, like Lund, that will do free updates. I know for me, I have two tunes and one was from Lund and another from another well known tuner. After several runs, with mods, Lund got me a 12.4 vs the other's netting a 12.5, with almost identical 60's.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
No need for an $800 ab set up pick some gt500 up you'll find those for cheap and they sound good I paid $80 for mine delete the resonators as well and call it a day!

Flcracker

Established Member
I miss the awesome sound of my Roush AB big time compared to the x pipe GT500 AB set up I have now. If I were you, I'd keep the Roush AB and
have it tuned.

Last edited:

Hodor

Established Member
Heck you can even try and trading your ab for a set of gt500!

That's what I did. I didn't like the Roush so I swapped with another forum member for the GT500s.

I miss the awesome sound of my Roush AB big time compared to the x pipe GT500 AB set up I have now. If I were you, I'd keep the Roush AB and
have it tuned.

I'm the opposite, love the GT500 and off-road X!

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
Did you have the off-road with the Roush?

Off-road mid pipe with roush mufflers sounds like complete shit. Roush is only good if you're keeping the rest of the exhaust stock. That's what they were designed for.

CAI doesn't do anything other than add sound, unless you have other mods like an intake manifold swap or forced induction. The stock air intake is already a CAI, just not open element. It flows fine for a tune and exhaust only car.

With all that said, tune it when you have other parts to throw on. Also, any tuner worth their salt will update a tune for free, unless it's a big change like cams/forced induction/N20.

5lho

Established Member
How 'bout this for convincing? I took a fully loaded 2012 with BBP, 3.73 stick car...all stock, including the paper filter, with only GT500s out back, added the FRPP 91 octane tune and a sticky tire and banged out 11.91 in good air. When that car was keeled, I replaced it with a 2014 auto and the FIRST thing I did was tune it as it was, VMP this time. Awaiting the return of spring to check results but track apps said it picked up ~4 mph at the 1/8th.

SVT Rob

Established Member
I picked up .4 and 4 mph in the quarter with a tune. Roush axle-backs and MGW shifter being the only mods, on stock Pirelli 19" rubber.

13.05 @ 108.9 mph stock, Roush AB, MGW shifter
12.59 @ 113.8 mph tuned, Roush AB, MGW shifter

Car was a 2012 GT Premium, 3.73's, Brembo's, comfort package, HID package. She had 35k miles when I tuned it, 48k miles when I sold it (still tuned).

EDIT: My 2014 SHO has a 100k mile warranty on it, and it was tuned at 20k miles.

Last edited:

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
I picked up .4 and 4 mph in the quarter with a tune. Roush axle-backs and MGW shifter being the only mods, on stock Pirelli 19" rubber.

13.05 @ 108.9 mph stock, Roush AB, MGW shifter
12.59 @ 113.8 mph tuned, Roush AB, MGW shifter

Car was a 2012 GT Premium, 3.73's, Brembo's, comfort package, HID package. She had 35k miles when I tuned it, 48k miles when I sold it (still tuned).

EDIT: My 2014 SHO has a 100k mile warranty on it, and it was tuned at 20k miles.

Thats what I am talking about. I am not worried about swapping the intake or anything, just want the tune. I can swap the offroad X and Kooks a/b's in when I get them and get retuned.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member

AKDMB

Established Member
Kinda wondering how people pick up so much MPH with tunes, that's pretty crazy. Little more fuel, little more timing, slight tweak of the cam timing. I wonder if the gains are less if the stock tune run has the traction and stability control turned off. Haven't started to look at torque management yet in my tune, but it seems like there shouldn't be any difference between turning traction and stability control off and keeping the car from pulling timing when torque source goes to traction control. Still need to get some data on how my car responds when I have traction/stability control turned off to see if there is still interference. I definitely trust tuners like Shaun though, they have this stuff figured out.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Kinda wondering how people pick up so much MPH with tunes, that's pretty crazy. Little more fuel, little more timing, slight tweak of the cam timing. I wonder if the gains are less if the stock tune run has the traction and stability control turned off.

It's all in the torque management, which Ford uses for warranty reasons. They do not allow factory cars to power shift or drop the clutch at full throttle at 4000+RPM.

Users who are viewing this thread