talk me into or out of switching to a procharger please. or any other blower lol

SteedaX47

Established Member
Car is a 97gt that has a rebuilt 03 cobra bottom end, mark 8 heads, and a 96 cobra intake. Also has an sts single turbo kit. Currently, the turbo is waay too small and is choking thw engine and maxed out at 460rwhp. The plan was to swap to a 76mm with a built drivetrain and push it to its limits and shoot for 1k whp. Well...I keep having this urge to throw a procharger on it cause im tired of lag... but I loooove having a turboed car. It is a syreet car and I plan on keeping it thay way. Not switching to a front mounted turbo so dont mention it lol. Just need some opinions. Would hugely consider a kb or whipple if I went with c heads lol. But I have b heads. So... talk me into... or out of it. Thanks for looking

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
Keep the turbo setup cause,you will kick yourself in the ass for switching. What turbo and exhaust housing do you have now and how much boost

91svtcoupe

TTop SVT Coupe
Established Member
I will sale you a P1SC Procharger head unit with Bracket, Bolts, Idle Pulley and Coil Bracket for $1000.00 shipped. Its in great shape, And would be an easy install.

:rockon:

SteedaX47

Established Member
Keep the turbo setup cause,you will kick yourself in the ass for switching. What turbo and exhaust housing do you have now and how much boost

See... thays exactly what im thinking lol. The current turbo is a t3/t4 60-1 t04b with a 62mm comp wheel and a .63 ar turbine housing. I peak hp at 4k rpm on a 4v engine lol... waay too small.

I will sale you a P1SC Procharger head unit with Bracket, Bolts, Idle Pulley and Coil Bracket for $1000.00 shipped. Its in great shape, And would be an easy install.

:rockon:

Lol that p1sc wont support 1kwhp....! But I may keep that offer in mind lol thanks

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
See... thays exactly what im thinking lol. The current turbo is a t3/t4 60-1 t04b with a 62mm comp wheel and a .63 ar turbine housing. I peak hp at 4k rpm on a 4v engine lol... waay too small.

Lol that p1sc wont support 1kwhp....! But I may keep that offer in mind lol thanks

Wow that's a turbo for a 4cly. A single t3 frame is way to small you should be running 2 of them lol. I think its time you start doing some research on a bw and precision turbos. The goal is to reach your HP goal on the smallest turbo to reduce lag.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Dude, Don't give up on turbos yet. I think you should try out one of the precision 6xxx family turbos.
6xxx

You're not going to achieve 1000whp with one of those, but its a great street turbo. You'll have to upgrade many other components on your car before even thinking of making 1000whp. The cool thing is, once you've upgraded everything necessary and max out one of the turbos I recommended above; all you'll need to break 1000whp is a turbo swap to something in the 70+mm range.

Heres a very nice street friendly curve of my car on a with a 6766:
Horsepowercurve84120lbs.png

A procharger car will still have lag and they tend to make their horsepower very high in the rpm range, which is hard on engine components. You can see from the graph above I'm carrying over 800whp from 4600rpms up. The only way to truly eliminate lag is a huge cubic inch motor(non modular) or a kb/whipple setup, which can get expensive to do right.

I say you buy a 6266 and try it out. You might even be able to find a bolt on setup(meaning you don't have to change your exhaust or intake to accommodate your setup). Worst case scenario, the turbo doesn't fit your needs, just sell it to somebody with a 4 cylinder car like a Subaru or something ;-) Those guys love these turbos.

PTE's PT6266 Turbocharger features the following:
• Compressor cover options:
- "E" compressor cover 3.0" inlet/2.0" outlet
- "Ported S" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/2.5" outlet
• Turbine housing options:
- T3 .63 or .82 A/R with 4 bolt (2.5") discharge
- T3 .63 A/R with 5 bolt discharge (with or without wastegate hole)
- T3 .63 or .82 A/R with 3" V-Band discharge
- V-Band inlet .82 A/R with V-Band discharge
- T4 Tangential .58, .68, .81, or .96 A/R with 3 5/8" V-Band discharge
- T4 Divided .84, 1.0, 1.15, or 1.32 A/R with 3 5/8" V-Band discharge
- Buick .63 or .85 A/R
- GMC Syclone/Typhoon .85 A/R

Last edited:

hitnrun

Established Member
^^ this. I wouldn't have gone Procharged if I could afford all the components for a turbo set up. Turbo all the way. If you are looking for serious power the gt45 from Garrett is always a good option as well, but may require changing some components of your intake/exhaust set up.

Helomech74

Established Member
Anybody that says Centri blowers "lag" and make all their power in the top end have obviously never driven a car with a big centri blower set up correctly. An F series Procharger makes power from the get go, obviously max boost comes on at the shift point (or redline depending on how it's setup), but that makes it much easier on the engine (not harder). You can run higher compression with a centri (I run 10.5:1 on mine with 16-18psi on pump gas) which makes the low rpm power a non issue. I'm in the process of building a twin turbo setup on one of my cars, so I'll have a nice comparison eventually (the car in question used to run an F1R Procharger and made pretty damn big power). I say find someone with a big centri car and take a ride, you just might have a different opinion when you're done.

It's a tough choice which way to go on this, I've always been a fan of big centri cars, but also enjoy the hit of a turbo setup as well. It comes down to personal preference really.

SteedaX47

Established Member
Wow that's a turbo for a 4cly. A single t3 frame is way to small you should be running 2 of them lol. I think its time you start doing some research on a bw and precision turbos. The goal is to reach your HP goal on the smallest turbo to reduce lag.

Lol I knew that already! Wish when I bought the kit that there was more communication cause I didnt even know what I was getting at the time lol.

Dude, Don't give up on turbos yet. I think you should try out one of the precision 6xxx family turbos.
6xxx

You're not going to achieve 1000whp with one of those, but its a great street turbo. You'll have to upgrade many other components on your car before even thinking of making 1000whp. The cool thing is, once you've upgraded everything necessary and max out one of the turbos I recommended above; all you'll need to break 1000whp is a turbo swap to something in the 70+mm range.

Heres a very nice street friendly curve of my car on a with a 6766:
Horsepowercurve84120lbs.png

A procharger car will still have lag and they tend to make their horsepower very high in the rpm range, which is hard on engine components. You can see from the graph above I'm carrying over 800whp from 4600rpms up. The only way to truly eliminate lag is a huge cubic inch motor(non modular) or a kb/whipple setup, which can get expensive to do right.

I say you buy a 6266 and try it out. You might even be able to find a bolt on setup(meaning you don't have to change your exhaust or intake to accommodate your setup). Worst case scenario, the turbo doesn't fit your needs, just sell it to somebody with a 4 cylinder car like a Subaru or something ;-) Those guys love these turbos.

PTE's PT6266 Turbocharger features the following:
• Compressor cover options:
- "E" compressor cover 3.0" inlet/2.0" outlet
- "Ported S" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/2.5" outlet
• Turbine housing options:
- T3 .63 or .82 A/R with 4 bolt (2.5") discharge
- T3 .63 A/R with 5 bolt discharge (with or without wastegate hole)
- T3 .63 or .82 A/R with 3" V-Band discharge
- V-Band inlet .82 A/R with V-Band discharge
- T4 Tangential .58, .68, .81, or .96 A/R with 3 5/8" V-Band discharge
- T4 Divided .84, 1.0, 1.15, or 1.32 A/R with 3 5/8" V-Band discharge
- Buick .63 or .85 A/R
- GMC Syclone/Typhoon .85 A/R

Lol I was wondering when id see a graph of yours! The one on your car now does actually have a nice curve! And of course ill ready the car for more power when I can. Getting passed this power mark is gonna be expensive lol. Thanks for the info on those turbos though man!

^^ this. I wouldn't have gone Procharged if I could afford all the components for a turbo set up. Turbo all the way. If you are looking for serious power the gt45 from Garrett is always a good option as well, but may require changing some components of your intake/exhaust set up.

Prerty much whatever turbo I go with ill have to change my exhaust slightly but mine wont require much. Depending on the size I may have to change the position of my turbo slightly for my filter to fit on.

nitrous always gets rid of lag, plus it is an intercooler also, I run a 50hp shot.

Haha! I was thinking nitrous maybe one day. I fully support it but for this car idk lol.

Thanks for the support guys, lol I was just watching a lot of f1 and like 4.30 gear vids lately and it just made me have an itch!

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I run a similar engine set up, stock 03 bottom, ported 98 heads with valves and springs on nitrous cams, stock intake with a 70mm turbo on 16lbs, it loves the juice

SteedaX47

Established Member
I run a similar engine set up, stock 03 bottom, ported 98 heads with valves and springs on nitrous cams, stock intake with a 70mm turbo on 16lbs, it loves the juice

Oooh if I may ask, what does yours make?

Switching to ball bearing will help you with the lag issue a bit. What rpm does the boost kick in btw?

Honestly I cant say when it starts lol I feel retarded... but it peaks between 3500-3700

SteedaX47

Established Member

Oooh if I may ask, what does yours make?

Switching to ball bearing will help you with the lag issue a bit. What rpm does the boost kick in btw?

Honestly I cant say when it starts lol I feel retarded... but it peaks between 3500-3700

Users who are viewing this thread