Tall guys in terminators... HELP

prez1967

Established Member
Looking for info on my next Mustang purchase...

I always liked the SN95/Terminator body style but at 6'6" i dont fit well... 36" inseam and a size 16 shoe doesnt seem to help either. My leg is constantly pinned between the steering wheel and the door panel.

A ray of hope shined upon me at carlisle a couple years ago when the oner of a 00R let me sit in his car and i noticed that with the factory Recaros, i had A LOT more room.

Im looking for tall owners of these cars to chime in and tell me what mods they have done to make more room.

Any help would be appreciated.

DGI

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
I have a set of Corbeau seats with their adjustable seat racks(I'll get back to you with the model if you care) in my cobra and I sit lower and further back which is great for me. I'm 6'5" with 36" inseam myself. Was really tight with the stock seats. I'd say I sit about 2-3 inches lower and 3-4 inches further back.

prez1967

Established Member
thats about what i got in my 93GT with my Recaro SRDs...

Has anyone installed a smaller steering wheel or modified the door panels in any way?

testorossa1989

Established Member
Ive noticed that the real factor is the steering wheel only having 4 lowering points. If you can change out that so your knees arent brushing against the plastic face infront of the column.. you will be golden

doubleb

Established Member
i put sn97 seats in my 03 vert with some brackets i bought on ebay. somewhat eazy install. they sit lower and go back alot further that the stock seats

Jefe

Established Member
Have you gotten the chance to clean your seats up yet and snap some pics of them?
I spent all my time on the exterior this weekend. Hoping to get to the interior this weekend. :beer:

shurur

Established Member
I've tackled this problem. I'm 6'3" and have a 36" inseam....so here you go.

hope I don't come off as a know-it-all.

I have some of the things you may need in my basement.

1. Get seat rail extensions to mount your seat or after market seat brackets This will allow your seat to be moved back 4” and buy you that much needed legroom (v8power, blue oval..)

2. Steeda comfort shifter is longer and will keep you from hunching for the shifter (atomic performance) I have this if you are interested, along with an AL adjuster plate that will bring it back and up 2”

3. Seat brackets for 1999-2004 mustangs from Wedge Engineering. The ones for Sparco universal seat sliders are easiest to get. I have this if you are interested.

Note: The 1999+ Wedge Eng seat bracket are self contained in that the seat belt bolt is welded to the bracket. But the bracket is a bit higher than the one for the 1998 and earlier.

The 1998 and earlier bracket is lower and will give you more head room; however, you will need to have seat belt bolts drilled and welded from the transmission tunnel like the 1998..but these brackets area bit lower.

4. Extend the steering wheel. The steering wheel can be brought back ~4" as well and still maintain the full functionality of the steering wheel buttons (cruise, clock spring, airbag etc).

You will need a MOMO adapter (2") and a sparco extender (2")…this would be an off line conversation-email;)

5. Sparco R100 seats

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
PS:

1. You can also lower the clutch with MM clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster and a mm/steeda clutch stop to help with legroom.

2. Also you can raise the gas pedal with the fix found in mustang world.

My legs are almost straight out at down clutch and 15 degrees at resting...and there is plenty of windshield (for a mustang) at the lights....it's a wonderful thing;)

good luck..let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

termin80r

Established Member
6'4'' here and im pinned between the steering wheel and door panel. huge feet here too, i pulled the fuse box cover off for a little more room, but constantly knock the window fuses out with my foot when clutching. im ordering the MM clutch lowering kit and ill be comfortable.

doubleb

Established Member
i saw somewhere that the seat track extensions ADD a 1/2 inch in height. not sure if thats true, or worth worrying about, but it is worth checking out.

shurur

Established Member
The extension raises the seat the thickness of the metal bracket...
not even 1/4"...at most or not at all.

look at the pics on AM site.

The windshield gets "smaller" the further back you slide the seat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread