Tansimission or clutch problem. Please help!

AMD[H]unter

Banned
Alright, first off I will preface this with this: My car has never had any problems with the clutch, or the transmission since I bought it, and it's always been relitively easy to get in gear, other than reverse, which has always been a little tough, but not really hard.

Last night after work, I got in the car, cranked up (in neutral) and was setting the radio, letting the car warm up and etc. I got ready to move, and went to put the car in reverse, but it wouldn't go. Now, sometimes going into revers it would want to be tough to get it in, but if I pressed with a little firmness, it would go right in, and it wouldn't ever spit it out of gear or anything. I know 1st and R are non-synchronized, so I chalked it up as that.

Anyways, this time, it wouldn't go in no matter how hard I mashed it in. Nor would it go in 1st. I was pissed and worried, so I cut the car off and was able to get it in reverse with it off. So I cranked the car with it in gear, and the clutch mashed, and it acted like the clutch was engaged, but it didn't "stick". It just bumped the car back about 3 inches and cranked right up.

After that, the car shifted and drove as pretty as you please. I even switched the car off, and cranked it again in an out of gear and it worked perfectly, so I was just hoping that it was some kind of freak thing that happened just one time. Also, I smelled a lot of clutch after this incedint, but I am not sure if that's because I was pissed and might have been slipping the hell out of it more than normal, or if it was part of the issue.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I went out to the garage to go to work, and it did it again. Cranked the car in neutral, and it wouldn't go in gear. I switched the car off and got it in 1st and cranked it; it bumped the car forward about 3 inches and cranked up and shifted and drove just fine like normal. I also smelled clutch this time, but not NEARLY as bad as last night.

My clutch has always released more towards the top of the pedal, so I didn't want to adjust it any more, but I did, and now I have it releasing right at the top of the throw now to see if that might help me any at all. If it helps any at all, my firewall adjuster is about 1.5 inches out from the firewall.

Also, the TOB is not squealing, it used to, but it eventually quit about 3 months ago, and hasn't squealed since.

Users who are viewing this thread