Tapping noise after LT headers install

newponyowner

Established Member
I mentioned this on one of my other threads but figured I'd start a new one and try to attach some sound clips. I have a tapping noise in the engine on the top that I can clearly hear in the cabin on cold start and slightly after that as well while driving. I am going to tighten the header bolts to see if that helps. There is also a loud rattle sound coming from the right rear on cold start as well. (.yeah sounds real nice starting up on a cold day now) The rear end rattle noise goes away after a few minutes.
Any other tips on this? None of these noises were hear before the headers and h pipe install.
Thanks again!
If I manage to attach these and you guys can hear the file, you'll hear the startup rattle, and then it goes away after hitting the gas but comes back, cant hear it come back on this clip though.ATTACH]29891[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Voice 005.wma.zip
    195.6 KB · Views: 117

Mach828

Established Member
Probably just need to adjust the exhaust so its not hitting on anything. Headers do have a different sound and you can sometimes hear a ping/tap which is normal especially with a thinner long tube.

newponyowner

Established Member
I read about the expected noise and heard some clips of other people having the same problem, but mine sounds so much louder then the other vids I've seen, so I thought it was a problem, maybe I just have to get used to it. When I start my car now on a cold day and go up my hill, I feel like I'm driving an old clunker..putting and tapping away up the block like a schlep..lol
Here's another sound clip, this is the rear end rattle, which sounds like plastic or something..

Attachments

• Voice 003.zip
    184.2 KB · Views: 109

scott_0

Established Member
the sound clips are hard to make out clearly, but I'd check for exhaust leaks at the head to header area, as well as the collectors, as far as the second sound clip, sounds like a part of the exhaust is hitting the body or suspension, check all areas under the car. may I ask which header gaskets did you use? please don't say you used the ones Pypes includes? they're rubbish, everyone reuses the stock gaskets and hardware with no leak issues. I tossed my Pypes included gaskets in the trash

Last edited:

newponyowner

Established Member
I figured it'd be hard to hear but thanks for trying.
The noise from the second sound clip goes away in a few minutes though, maybe more like in two minutes. If it was hitting the body it'd always be there. . Right. ?
I am told they reused the stock gaskets.. but Id have to check for myself I guess to make sure.

dannydr44

Established Member
I couldn't load or hear the sound clip but there's a good chance that the driver side header could be making contact with the steering shaft. I installed JBA equal length headers and the driver side header would make contact with the stock steering shaft, especially under heavy turns. I had to buy and install a Flaming River ultra clearance steering shaft kit to fix this issue. Anyway, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread