Tar/Sap/Hard Crap on paint...

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
Any idea how to take it off? Its chipping off in pieces right now. Not sure what it is. Also will claybarring get water spots off a hood?

Bootie

Established Member
The clay bar won't help your water spot problem. Only a proper polishing will take those out.

Not sure about the sap, but you may try WD40 or if they're not real big, claybar possibly.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
this is one big lump about the size of a quarter so i dont think a claybar is going to work.

Jim D.

Established Member
For the tree sap on paint, try soaking (continuously or repeatedly) with mineral spirits or gum turpentine... one or the other should work.

Clay bar can remove deposits on the surface of the paint, but if you've got etching into the paint, you'll want to carefully polish that area (it may be too deep to remove without causing more problems).

Scott P

Established Member
Isopropyl alcohol is a good thing to try. Dapa paper towel in the stuff and let it soak on the sap spots. That should soften them enough to pick off. I'd work one at a time for best results. You'd then want to fully polish the surface to remove any etching or scratching that cleaning attempts left behind.

GodStang

Established Member
I just use Rain-X and it will take anything off. I always wash right after using it.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
whats the proper process for polishing?

rinse with dish soap
claybar
rinse again
polish
wax..............?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
EATONSRT said:
rinse with dish soap
claybar
rinse again
polish
wax..............?

some don't wash after the clay bar...I sometimes do and sometimes don't.

You've got the right steps down there. If you're going to do the engine bay just do that before doing the exterior, and always do the wheels last, unless you put the car up on jackstands.:thumbsup:

Fgt300

Established Member
Baby Oil for sap. I think its called Bleach White. Its in a white spray bottle and is for tires. A detailer told me about it and the tar and bugs melt away. Just don't leave it on very long, spray it on one or two minutes and wash with soap/water. I have not had any issue with the paint using this stuff.

Scott P

Established Member
EATONSRT said:
whats the proper process for polishing?

rinse with dish soap
claybar
rinse again
polish
wax..............?

It's more like:

Wash with car soap
Clay
Polish
Wax

Dish soap is not needed and is a wasted step.

Users who are viewing this thread