Target buyer of the shelby cobra

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
I'll be turning 21 when it comes out and am already saving for it. I just hope it will be around 37. I don't think i could spend over 40

Xwelder

i'm a welder-I can fix it
Established Member
Oh1SnakeDriver said:
What cracked rods are you talking about? Are you getting confused on your cars? Maybe thinking the Ford GT? Were talking about the GT500 here not the GT!
BTW I'm 54 and have a 2001 Cobra Convertable (light mods), and will be getting the "New Snake" in either 07 or 08. Yes I fell in love with the 66 thru 68 Shelby's, and always wanted one. Lack of money and military (read "draft" here) commitments kept me from owning one. So soon baby soon!!! :beer:
No, I'm not confused. Maybe you haven't read this http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169354
This is the thread with the official rollout of the GT500

ENGINE
Type V-8

Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan

Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with screw-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler

Exhaust manifold Cast iron

Crankshaft Forged steel

Throttle body Dual 55 mm, electronic

Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm
Exhaust: 32.0 mm

Pistons Forged aluminum

Connecting rods Cracked forged steel I-beams

Ignition Coil-on-plug

Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.22 x 105.8 mm

Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc

Horsepower More than 450

Torque 450 lb.-ft

Established Member
What johnny-logtors said. Last generation Cobra went after the vette crowd and IMHO was pretty successful. This car is less cobra and more Mustang with big engine. The prototype looks less balanced than the previous generation (can you imagine 450/450 through 255's in a 3800 lb car!!!). Looks like Ford is marketing the car at drag racers, and based on the prototype, unless they sell these cars cheap or make significant improvements in weight/balance/overall performance, they will be discounting them at the end of the initial rush (just like they did with the 2003s) in order to move them. Too bad Ford will no longer have a serious competitor for the Vette besides the GT.

svt700hp

I'm 36 and just as I was first on the list to buy the 03 Cobra, which by the way I bought at sticker price, I am currently first on the list to buy the new Shelby. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I had no problems at all with my car. After 34,000 miles, 15,000 of those with the Kenny Bell, I still havent had any problems. Cant wait till next summer.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
svt700hp said:
I'm 36 and just as I was first on the list to buy the 03 Cobra, which by the way I bought at sticker price, I am currently first on the list to buy the new Shelby. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I had no problems at all with my car. After 34,000 miles, 15,000 of those with the Kenny Bell, I still havent had any problems. Cant wait till next summer.

I'm with ya! Just a little older than you! I'm 44.b I've got a first run 03 Cobra and it's been a great car. I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or get the GT 500. I've got 1 year to think about it, untill then I'll enjoy my 03. But I have my name in the first spot at my dealership. I'll get A plan again, which helps a lot!

Tim

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
I will be 37 when the Shelby Cobra hits the showrooms. I have 3 ahead of me at the dealership that has my deposit.

I myself want a 500hp car that I can drive around without any problems or reliability issues. The Viper was on my list. An older model say 01-04 model due to pricing of the new ones.

Looks like I can have 500hp with the Shelby Cobra. With just exhaust and a pulley change I should be at 500hp. exhaust is going to be were I will focus on getting 500hp, due to not wanting to change anything else due to warranty issues and new car bugs.

I think with the way manufactures are releasing high hp cars and not even gas prices are stopping people from buying. Well, I think people are not the target.

Just like the old days. This is horsepower wars just like back in the 60's between maufactures.

For example look at the Chevy Z06 500hp, the new Dodge Charger SRT 425hp sedan, the Chrysler SRT300C 425hp, Pontiac GTO 400hp, 400hp Cadillac STV sedan, and so on.......

It is just plain old horsepower wars like the old days, and they are trying to out sell one another by giving the gear heads what they want.

And I am in line for the Shelby Cobra :pepper:

chuckstang

Established Member
What the hek, how could anyone think that this car will not be built for further modding???? What are you smoking...this thing is built to run hard all day long and obviously the drag strip was in mind (no IRS!!!!!)
This thing will put down even more power then the 03/04 because of its larger displacement and screw type blower
you will see in about a year or so he he he

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
40+

CobraBob said:
I hear ya, but you apparently aren't reading what many of the threads here are speaking. A ton of people of all ages and backgrounds love the GT500 concept. If Ford were to release it pretty much as it stands and for under $40K it will be a monster hit IMO. And not just those who lived through the late 60s.

It will be 40k plus when it first comes out. I'd say that limits it to the 30 - 60 yr age bracket for most. I've never paid that much for a car new or used. As far as marketing I'd say Ford is trying to compete with the C6 Vette. Prices will drop after a while but I expect it to stay around 40k.

Xwelder

i'm a welder-I can fix it
Established Member
chuckstang said:
What the hek, how could anyone think that this car will not be built for further modding???? What are you smoking...this thing is built to run hard all day long and obviously the drag strip was in mind (no IRS!!!!!)
This thing will put down even more power then the 03/04 because of its larger displacement and screw type blower
you will see in about a year or so he he he

I don't doubt that it will be modded, but the use of cracked rods seemed like a step backward to me. The 03-04, on paper, was an engine that could handle a lot more power than factory. I'm sure this new engine can handle more too, but I wouldn't as feel comfortable with this bottom end as i would with an 03-04 is what I'm saying.

Established Member
Thee are far more 03/04 cobras in the 600HP range with stock bottom ends than Lightnings. The number of blown bottom ends due to con rod failures in Lightnings is rediculously high. Hope that Ford puts better rods in the new motors. Have to admit, new motor ought to be a hoot if they go with the twin screw. The only way that combination will make 450 HP is if the factory DETUNES it! Stock Lightning 2v = 380 HP + 4v heads, + 6000 rpm redline, + twin screw = at least another 100 if not more. Now, if the chassis/suspension can handle it... thats another question altogether.

SGL

Banned
Stuka said:
What'll keep me out of a Cobra? Dealer greed. I'll never forget contemplating a Saleen until I saw the extra window sticker "$5000 limited market availability" that the dealer had added to the MSRP. I walked out and never returned to that dealership for any purpose.

Your Porsche product has the same "hidden" surcharge. The only difference is that they don't make it as obvious.

The only thing that is important is the "out-the-door" price. If you show up at the dealer with checkbook in hand (and obvious) and try to negociate, you may be surprised at the outcome. When I bought my 99, the first dealer pulled the same nonsense on me. I made sure they understood that I was serious. Made no difference. I drove 5 more miles down the road to the next dealer and got the car for 5k less! Tough luck to the first dealer and pity the suckers who went there to buy their cars.

Users who are viewing this thread