Target buyer of the shelby cobra

Xwelder

i'm a welder-I can fix it
Established Member
I just had a thought I figured I'd share. I wonder who ford is targeting here.
The car is for sure styled after the late 60's shelby mustangs. It will be a powerful car, but with items like the craked rods, it won't be easy to mod.

My thought is this. My dad was 18 in 1968. He's told me how he wanted a shelby then but couldn't get one with starting out a family. Now that his kids are out of the house and he is financially doing well, he could easily buy a sports car. The problem is nothing appeals to him on the showroom floors anymore. Along comes the Shelby Cobra. Now, keep in mind, my dad ain't gonna be street racing, much less at the track, so modding the car won't happen. He also doesn't really want a super flashy car. This new cobra fits him perfectly. But a guy like me wants a car that has in your face styling and a motor that can be built to handle some real mods.

I think this is our fathers cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hear ya, but you apparently aren't reading what many of the threads here are speaking. A ton of people of all ages and backgrounds love the GT500 concept. If Ford were to release it pretty much as it stands and for under $40K it will be a monster hit IMO. And not just those who lived through the late 60s.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
They are targeting anyone who likes a muscle car image. There are plenty of 16 year olds that will appreciate the car, but most who are under 25 will simply not have the cash for it. Most of the older guys will look, but won't buy, it will be the 25 to 45 crowed mainly.

bunk22

Established Member
I'll be 35 this year :( and not only do I love the original Shelby, I love this new version as well. I've got the cash and will have one in my garage when they arrive.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
bunk22 said:
I'll be 35 this year :( and not only do I love the original Shelby, I love this new version as well. I've got the cash and will have one in my garage when they arrive.

I'll be 39 when the GT500 hits the dealership, I will have one too. I have already contemplated saying goodbye to the Mach, we'll see. Maybe I can keep both if the God's of prosperity are good to me next year. :beer:

Horseplay012

Established Member
I will be 33 when the GT500 is available to order, and by all means I will be financially ready to buy one..... :rockon:

Stuka

Well, here's a newbie's point of view:

I've been involved with Porsches for the last seven years. I currently have a 944 turbo that keeps me very busy in the shop modifying it. My idea of a track has curves in it, and my car is basically a track toy, although street-legal.

I've been a Ford guy, but never have owned a Mustang. Had a Taurus SHO when they came out in '89, and currently have a F250 PSD for a daily driver. Demographically, I'm 30-something, household income >$100K with no kids. What'll keep me out of a Cobra? Dealer greed. I'll never forget contemplating a Saleen until I saw the extra window sticker "$5000 limited market availability" that the dealer had added to the MSRP. I walked out and never returned to that dealership for any purpose. I've bought several new cars since that day, and that dealer will never get a dime from me.

I fully understand the concept of supply vs demand. I have a degree in Economics. The dealers are just looking out for themselves, and that is their right. My obligation is to myself, and therefore I will not be paying a premium to be the first with a new Cobra. That said, the new Mustang has piqued my interest, and the next garage queen could very well be a Cobra. Time will tell. Meanwhile I'm cruising this site for info/pics on what has to be the best new car from Ford in a long time.

PS: As a track-oriented guy, I hope they equip the car with sufficient brakes. I realize the standard I'm used to is quite high, but I hope they don't go like the C5 Corvette. I saw two C5's have to retire from a track event due to brake failure (rotors cracking very badly) just last weekend. How disappointing that must be.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Damn I love the car and fall into the age catagory!! :lol1: It's like they are looking in my window. :-D

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I'll wait until I see the interior and the prices drop. Besides, I like my "street sleeper" '03 Cobra. Most people think it's a plain Mustang. Even my insurance agent thinks it's an ordinary Mustang....

Big 8

Established Member
I think they did a great job on the appeal factor. Its everything a ultimate mustang could be.

You get the Shelby the SVT and the Cobra wrapped into one. It plays on its past quite well and its the most powerful ever. Whats not to like.

Now I know they cant make GT mustangs quick enough. So I imagine they wont have a problem moving these. But on some grounds I am not sure if Ford hit the nail on the head? Dont get me wrong greatest mustang ever??? But will it appeal to people who arnt mustang fans? After all it really is a bigger badder muscle car? Its a Mustangs mustang, but is that where it stops? That flies well with the home crowd but does it advance the Mustang? Does it make SVT look like a leader? :shrug:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
I don't know if I'm in the target or not, but I will own one when they arrive on the dealer floors.

I have a 2-seat sports car, a 3-seat performance truck, and a family hauler.

Hopefully I'll replace the family hauler with an Adrenaline and pick up a 4-seat performance car to add to the stable. I've had a number of late model Mustangs, and this one has me excited about SVT again.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
I strongly susspect it is folks who already have SVT product and are looking for the next level. How many of us would be in the market for a Porsche but don't want the stress that comes from having a car around $65k? I can drive mine with the knowledge that if sombody clobbers it the body parts from a 6 cyl rental will fit? Plus there is the exclusive aspect in a very reasonable priced car.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
I grew up idolizing my dads Shelby's (He had a red w/white stiped 66 GT350 and then later my favorite, a 67 GT500 in..you guessed it..red w/white stripes) He sold the 67 3 months before I got my learners permit, so I never got a chance to drive it. For me this is like a dream come true. To get to own the modern version of the car I grew up in love with. I'll be 34 when this car hits the showrooms and I'm definitely getting one.

Gxsa140

Established Member
Hell I'm 26 and I think that is the one of the best looking mustangs besides the Boss 429 of yesterday. I love my '04 Cobra, but so far I think I like the Shelby concept better.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
I bought one of the early 03 Cobras and paid $5k over sticker. My car has had the tick, the TOB and a leaky differential. All were fixed under warranty, but I have learned my lession. I will be waiting until the 08 model comes out before I buy one. I want to see what kind of problems you guys have with your 07's -- what are the largest tires you can get in the rear and how does it handle mods over time. Good luck with your 07's and I will be interested in your comments after you have had them for awhile.

Oh1SnakeDriver

Established Member
Xwelder said:
I just had a thought I figured I'd share. I wonder who ford is targeting here.
The car is for sure styled after the late 60's shelby mustangs. It will be a powerful car, but with items like the craked rods, it won't be easy to mod.

My thought is this. My dad was 18 in 1968. He's told me how he wanted a shelby then but couldn't get one with starting out a family. Now that his kids are out of the house and he is financially doing well, he could easily buy a sports car. The problem is nothing appeals to him on the showroom floors anymore. Along comes the Shelby Cobra. Now, keep in mind, my dad ain't gonna be street racing, much less at the track, so modding the car won't happen. He also doesn't really want a super flashy car. This new cobra fits him perfectly. But a guy like me wants a car that has in your face styling and a motor that can be built to handle some real mods.

I think this is our fathers cobra.

What cracked rods are you talking about? Are you getting confused on your cars? Maybe thinking the Ford GT? Were talking about the GT500 here not the GT!
BTW I'm 54 and have a 2001 Cobra Convertable (light mods), and will be getting the "New Snake" in either 07 or 08. Yes I fell in love with the 66 thru 68 Shelby's, and always wanted one. Lack of money and military (read "draft" here) commitments kept me from owning one. So soon baby soon!!! :beer:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i'm 56, and can buy one, but will not at over sticker price. ford dealers, do you hear this? will be glad to keep my 04 till the price settles down.i don't think it will be long

2004svtcobra

Established Member
I will be 30 when the Shelby 500 comes out and I will not be buying one. There are a lot of other cars in $40K-$50K price range that interest me besides a Shelby 500. Besides, my '04 Cobra will do me fine for another couple years.

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
I'll be 63 at the end of this year, I still open track my Cobra roadster and I will probably buy one of those Gt 500's and it will be on the track also.No point in owning a high performance car and not beating the piss out of it. When I get too old to open track I'll give up driving completely. :sleeping:

RD

Users who are viewing this thread