Tattoo regulations in the Army

RickwithCobra

Established Member
Hey what are the regulations on tattoos in the Army especially on your arms, because everything I could find in the regulations was just no offensive tattoos but not exactly where you cannot have them.

Thankyou

Crazy Ray

Established Member
The rules have change since I was in. But the unwritten rule was that if you got a tattoo it should not be seen, even with your sleeves rowed up. They look at it as damaging goverment propert, and that is what you are to them. Some branches of the services what them removed before you join. Yes, the content of the tattoo has a play in it.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Navy and Marines are getting stricter as well, no more ol' school Navy forearm tats...."were heading in a new direction".....
please, people expect lots o' tats from us Squids and Devil Dogs...

Sapperstang

Established Member
The rules have change since I was in. But the unwritten rule was that if you got a tattoo it should not be seen, even with your sleeves rowed up. They look at it as damaging goverment propert, and that is what you are to them. Some branches of the services what them removed before you join. Yes, the content of the tattoo has a play in it.

:dw::??:

I think they relaxed the policy. I got out in 04 and when I was in you could have them anywhere as long as it was hidden by the Class B uniform. I knew several guys who had full sleeves and it wasn't a problem. I think they are even allowed on the neck now.

RickwithCobra

Established Member
alright, thanks guys. I am just curious because I was just thinking of a tatto on the forearm, but yea I am just gonna ask my Colnel probably tomorrow. I am not serious bout getting one, just looking into it.

203Cree

Established Member
Nothing offensive, below the wrist or above the collar.

AR 670-1. Look it up yourself. :thumbsup:

203Cree

Established Member
And you can get waivers for damn near anything... Depending on how bad they need you in whatever MOS you choose.

That depends on if he's already in service or not, as he doesn't say. If he's just coming in, absolutely, they'll waive just about anything. If he's in already and goes out of reg, depending on his CoC and how far out he goes he could be up for UCMJ.

RickwithCobra

Established Member
Well I am in ROTC right now and just signed my 8 year contract bout 4 months ago so yea its nothing serious yet, but idk if u would really consider me as being in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread