Tech: Ford Racing Focus ST Shifter Install

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I got to see a batch of these being manufactured recently. There's actually quite a few steps that go into it. Don't think I can disclose the manufacturer though Tob.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I understand. I still like the challenge to figure it out on my own. :dw: My guess would be that Dura makes the OEM shifter and if they don't assemble the FRPP unit, that they either supply OEM units for disassembly/modification to either FRPP or a subcontractor to FRPP. In studying your photos Steve it looks like cable actuation speed has been accelerated via a new billet cable bracket.

__FocusFRPPshiftercomparison.jpg

My assumption would be that Ford Racing engineers worked with Dura in Auburn Hills to validate the change and to ensure that it didn't reduce component life or effectiveness elsewhere. Interesting that FRPP lists it as being an 18% reduction in throw as that isn't too far from the 20% reduction FRPP lists for their GT500/KR shifter (made by a totally different Tier supplier). It would make sense if Ford Racing used the economies of scale advantage with respect to using an already in production shifter and achieved their results with such a small modification. I don't see mention of any change made that would imply any springs were changed but it would make sense in line with the change to the throw.

Users who are viewing this thread