Tech: Tremec TR-3160 Six-Speed

EditorTurner

Established Member
I didn't get too far into the aftermarket side of things, but I don't know why it wouldn't fit the earlier cars with the proper driveshaft, etc. After all, the Magnum XL will fit in the 2015.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I wonder again, why Ford hasn't spent the money to make it a direct shift transmission?

They want it as short/small/compact and as light as possible. They being Ford, GM, etc. Tremec is happy to oblige just as much as their aftermarket group can then reference it as a design that could be improved ala Magnum XL-style changes. Contradictory on its face but it just happens to be the way things work out now.

Thanks for the look inside Steve. You've provided a glimpse that nobody else has.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
They want it as short/small/compact and as light as possible. They being Ford, GM, etc. Tremec is happy to oblige just as much as their aftermarket group can then reference it as a design that could be improved ala Magnum XL-style changes. Contradictory on its face but it just happens to be the way things work out now.

Thanks for the look inside Steve. You've provided a glimpse that nobody else has.

I was talking with some guys from Tremec at an Autorama. They said to cure all my shifting issues the XL was the way to go. MGW seems to have solved that issue. I'm hoping Ford has listened to the critics of any of their stock shifters and will take that advice and make the new GT350 "work" from the factory. Judging by the pics of the shifter, it appears to be a step in the right direction.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Hopefully this transmission doesn't become a legitimate weak link.

Or more like Ford doesn't mess it up with crappy parts to save money. Ruined a perfectly good T56 in the 03/04 with weak input shafts and a horrific factory shifter. 07-09's had a bad shifter. 10-12's got not only a terrible shifter, but a junk clutch because too many people complained about chattering with the 07-09 clutch. Hopefully Ford cuts no corners with this car. Either way I'll never buy another manual trans Ford due to the shortcomings that owners have to address.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hopefully Ford cuts no corners with this car. Either way I'll never buy another manual trans Ford due to the shortcomings that owners have to address.

Let's be honest. The group tasked with bringing this car to fruition has specific budgetary concerns that limit how far they can develop a given part and as such must always be mindful of the inherent cost to produce. Hameedi stated that the TR6060 was never given any consideration and that the 3160 has a lower torque capacity. Physical size and weight constraints placed additional limits in terms of available transmission choices. The Tremec 3160 won out (although I'd love to hear what transmission fell in second place).

In the context of the above, Ford drivetrain engineers have no doubt done the best within the limitations that were placed upon them. The result of which looks to be a medium capacity, fairly light and efficient (in terms of friction) unit. If typical Factor of Safety numbers can be used ( I'll use a FOS of 1.5) with respect to torque capacity then an approximate 450 lb-ft limit becomes about 638 lb-ft (this is irrespective of clutch capacity, etc). In essence, the internals should easily handle typical bolt-ons, to a point.

The 3160 shifter, much the labyrinth that the 5.0 shifter is, looks to follow the same philosophy imparted upon five liter MT82 units. There is no doubt that the aftermarket can and will do better as they don't operate under the same set of constraints. In the end, the question becomes whether a 3160 behind a high revving 5.2L engine will become a stumbling block or simply a gateway that transmits power without a hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread