Teen drivers in California can´t drive between 11 and 5

SVT8U

Established Member
we have something like that here in Missouri. 16 year olds have a full license but cant drive between 1 and 5 am or some crap like that. Its been 4 or 5 years since I had to go through that bs, so I dont really remeber the specifics. Personally I think it is a good law, because I know that when I was 15-16 I was a phuckin dumbass. The really sad thing is that even though I was a dumbass I was one of the more responsible kids around.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My wife hated the graduated system in NC. I thought it was a great idea. The research into accidents indicated what hours most accidents happened at and what other conditions. Friends in the car, cell phones and other contributing factors. My wife was pissed because she wanted to send my son on errands.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Dont see a problem with it other than if kids have jobs, but here they have special waivers you can get for work and stuff. I wasnt allowed to drive from 12 to 5 with my restricted liscence (what you get after you have your permit for 6 months)

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I think it's a great idea. Kids have no business being out that late unless they have a job or some other extenuating circumstance. If it's not a job, they're usually out cruising for street races or out pulling pranks in neighborhoods. I wish they had something like that around here. Might've saved my car from being egged three times last summer.

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
I like the idea, being a teen driver in CA. I have had my license for over a year now, and didnt break any of the restrictions while i had it. There are a lot of bad drivers out there. The majority of kids from around here suck at driving nad need the experience first. ( Even though some of these kids shouldnt even have a license at all.)

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
We have those in Wisconsin. They're called Graduated Drivers License or GDL's.

I have no problem with it. Keeps kids off the streets in the middle of the night, but still gives them some freedoms with the "date" exception. Also, I like that it keeps the number of kids in the cars down. Brand new 16yr old drivers do not need 5 other people in the car making them do stupid things via peer pressure. I know not all kids are like this, but 90% are.

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
in MA u cant drive between 12-5 for the first 6 months after u get ur liscense. you are also not allowed to have have anyone in the car with you (except family) for the first 6 months.

Frank

stevieb

Established Member
Im in agreement with the law for same reasons as previously posted. As far as work related exemptions, there is no reason a 16 yo kid should be working at a job after midnight, whether is a weekend or not.

Ford330CID

Ford Rules
Established Member
in iowa, before you have your license for 1 year and get your full license, you can't drive between 12:30 and 5, but no restrictions on passengers

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
stevieb said:
Im in agreement with the law for same reasons as previously posted. As far as work related exemptions, there is no reason a 16 yo kid should be working at a job after midnight, whether is a weekend or not.
Some of my friends work for a valet company and they work from around 8 - 1. I've come home from my girlfriends house after 12 and nothing has happened to me. You're also not allowed to drive anyone under 25 for the first 6 months and cannot drive between 11-5 for the first year.

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
Same here in Georgia. Kinda sucked because I couldn't drive early in the morning when my family drive went on trips.

If it is a trackday or something like that I'm driving early no matter what but since I'm 18 now I don't have to worry about it. I will agree that most people my age and younger aren't responsible and it's pretty much for their own good.

Although there were a couple of times my uncle offered to let me drive his Z06 around with him but it was too late. :(

Oh well, when he gets the 402 put in I'll be in drivers seat at least once.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
the fact is I would be breaking all the new driver's laws on a regular basis. I drive like a dumbass, but only when I'm alone. I don't need someone else's blood on my hands. So all my friends think I'm the safest driver there is when really, I'm nuts but just know when to do it

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
When I was growing up in NY, at age 16 you couldn't drive after 9 pm for the first 2 years if I remember correctly.

Please keep in mind this was in the early 1990's the laws could have changed by now.

Users who are viewing this thread