teksid build up reccomendations

kennycoulter

Established Member
with 03 cobra heads, and a teksid block, what head gasket should be used?
where are you buying them?
what main bearings are being used?
get bearings for 96-98 cobra engine?(sean hyland book says theyre select fit)
where are you buying your main stud kits?
i found them in jegs and summit, but seems to be for both dohc and sohc, meaning not 6 bolt mains right?
what rings are preferred?
thanks for any help.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Subscribing.
What year teksid do you have? I will be doing the swap soon.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
with 03 cobra heads, and a teksid block, what head gasket should be used? Fel-pro MLS gasket or a Cometic MLS
where are you buying them? Fel-pro at Autozone Cometic directly from them or VT engines
what main bearings are being used? Let your engine builder decide.
get bearings for 96-98 cobra engine?(sean hyland book says theyre select fit)
where are you buying your main stud kits? http://www.vtengines.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_20
i found them in jegs and summit, but seems to be for both dohc and sohc, meaning not 6 bolt mains right? The kits dont give you the side bolts
what rings are preferred? Hellfires are awesome rings Dont know if if they make them for MOD engines
where are you buying them? check summit

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
What are some other things we need to know about using a Teksid in place of the stock 03/04 Cobra block? Any special machining needed? Does the timing cover bolt right on?

The more information given, the better :) Lets make this the definitive Teksid block swap thread......

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
427Windsorman said:
What are some other things we need to know about using a Teksid in place of the stock 03/04 Cobra block? Any special machining needed? Does the timing cover bolt right on?

The more information given, the better :) Lets make this the definitive Teksid block swap thread......

Tomball That's about 20mins from me.:) The timing cover bolts right up there is one bolt hole in the middle section of the cover that the Teksid block doesn't have. No big deal dont worry about it. The bosses in the valley for the knock sensors need to be ground off also. Other then that it's a dirrect swap.

kennycoulter

Established Member
what main bearings are being used? Let your engine builder decide.

i saw that one guy claimed to just use stock 96 cobra main bearings.
fordsvtparts from tousley ford quoted the main bearings for me around $37.
i then asked if 03 bearings are the same, but still waiting to hear back. journal diameters didnt change, and id assume crush and clearance shouldnt change.
the sean hyland book says they use fed. mogul race bearings.
i started to look at what im taking out of my teksid block to compare what numbers are stamped in. ill get back when i get that done.

MikeW

Established Member
I'd like to do the same thing when it is time for a new SB. I have early 03 heads. Would it be best to by thenew heads of have mine rebuilt?

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
oldbones said:
Tomball That's about 20mins from me.:) The timing cover bolts right up there is one bolt hole in the middle section of the cover that the Teksid block doesn't have. No big deal dont worry about it. The bosses in the valley for the knock sensors need to be ground off also. Other then that it's a dirrect swap.

Thanks for the information :beer: I think I need to buy the block, and start gathering parts. I am at 52K miles, and I am not gentle on this motor, lol.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
As far as bearings, There is a main bearing kit through Ford for the '96-01 cobra motors (part# XW7Z-6D309-BXA), it's standard size, and will fit all Teksid blocks and cobra cranks with no machine work. That's the kit I used.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
You will also need to check the clearance of your balancer to the timing cover. We had to mill the balancer down a little on mine and my friends as well. He actually found out the hard way after it had been eating into the seal and cover. Had to buy a new $400 cover and replace the seal. Mine was to close for comfort so we did it as well. I don't have any pics, but you'll see what I mean when you go to bolt it on.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
F8LSNAKE said:
You will also need to check the clearance of your balancer to the timing cover. We had to mill the balancer down a little on mine and my friends as well. He actually found out the hard way after it had been eating into the seal and cover. Had to buy a new $400 cover and replace the seal. Mine was to close for comfort so we did it as well. I don't have any pics, but you'll see what I mean when you go to bolt it on.

What does this have to do with a teksid?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Don't know why, but for some reason the clearance is really tight with the balancer to the cover on the aluminum blocks. Yours may not be, but it definately needs to be looked at when you put the balancer on. I don't know if anyone else on here has run into this or not, but we've done two and both were like this.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
F8LSNAKE said:
Don't know why, but for some reason the clearance is really tight with the balancer to the cover on the aluminum blocks. Yours may not be, but it definately needs to be looked at when you put the balancer on. I don't know if anyone else on here has run into this or not, but we've done two and both were like this.

I wonder if the older balancers could be used?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That doesn't make sense... If the tolerances are different, the timing cover to oil pan would line up, along with timing cover to valve cover. Dimensionally the aluminum blocks are the same. You'd be using the same timing cover, and crank. Doesn't add up.

YoungJim

Established Member
If you want to save messing with the Teksid block FRP just released an aluminum block designed to be a direct swap for us. M-6010-A46SC.

Users who are viewing this thread