Tensioner Pulley

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Anyone have one fail? I have a strange noise when the car is cold that sounds like a belt slipping or a frozen pulley. When the car is up to operating temp, it's quiet as can be. Tonight I replaced my belt with a new gatorback in hopes that it was a glazed belt but when I spun the tensioner pulley, it sounded like an old school roller skate. Can I buy just the pulley or do I have to get the whole assembly in case it is not the belt? :shrug:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
It's the stock tesioner and pulley. Can Doug hook me up with a tesioner pulley to replace the stock one? I have not seen them before. I have the 4 pulley set, bracket and the 2.76 on right now.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I sent a PM to Doug to see if he has anything to help me out or if I have to get the whole assembly from Ford or an auto part store.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Can't speak for your year, but I know NAPA carries nice steel repalcement pulleys so you don't have to worry about plastic either. I don't know if this helps you, but it might.

Tom

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
dougwg said:
Why replace the pulley when all you need to do is swap for a new bearing?

Because it's the stock pulley. We all know that you need the Billletflow pullies to ensure a long and healthy life!! Besides, I'm pretty sure that they are worth about 15 hp!! :beer:

dougwg

Established Member
yeah I know, but... :)

The only pulley he has with a bad bearing in is the ribbed tensioner pulley

and yes, if he calls and orders a 4 pulley snub idler kit I will throw in a free replacement bearing for the tensioner :beer:

*Edit*
He already has all my idlers....hrmmm.... ok....$5.00 + shipping for a bearing

Last edited:

mosconiac

Established Member
dougwg said:
Why replace the pulley when all you need to do is swap for a new bearing?
My thoughts exactly. Here are the bearings I bought...I'm told this is a very high quality bearing for the application!

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...idler-pulley-bearings-7248.html?highlight=nsk

IMG_9331small.jpg

dougwg

Established Member
mosconiac,

That bearing has a steel shield.... which is not so good for automotive applications that are subjected to road dirt and water spray

The bearings that we use are sealed high speed bearings made by NSK

mosconiac

Established Member
dougwg said:
mosconiac,

That bearing has a steel shield.... which is not so good for automotive applications that are subjected to road dirt and water spray

Wow, thanks for letting me know! The counter guy recommended these for the application, so I need to investigate.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
dougwg said:
yeah I know, but... :)

The only pulley he has with a bad bearing in is the ribbed tensioner pulley

and yes, if he calls and orders a 4 pulley snub idler kit I will throw in a free replacement bearing for the tensioner :beer:

*Edit*
He already has all my idlers....hrmmm.... ok....$5.00 + shipping for a bearing

Calling, thanks for the info.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
dougwg said:
mosconiac,

I was going to say the same thing until I read on down and saw your post. That looks like an old skateboard wheel bearing.

dougwg

Established Member
well there's nothing wrong with the bearing per say.... it's just that I would want a "sealed" bearing on my motor

The "Shielded" style have their propose too

Users who are viewing this thread