Termi motor in 99

cobravenom99

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra. Ive had this idea, (i know im not the first), of pulling out my stock 99 motor, and building an 03 or 04 motor from scratch with just the block and crank, and maybe throwing in a set of better pistons and rods then the stock 03-04 ones. I can get stock auto parts for any car at a very low price, and sometimes i pay nothing (that is mainly why im considering this). I want to build an 03- 04 motor cause i know our motors are very weak with FI, and i dont want to hurt my stock motor ( and of course the potential of termi motors). Now the question im asking is how hard would this swap be and if anyone knows what complications i am going face???, i would like to know what im getting myself into......... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ( sorry for such a lengthy explanation)

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
dont swap.

it will cost you the same to build either and you aluminum block will save you 80lbs.

Not to mention the hassle of having to buy another motor (for no reason) and changing out at the crap to make it work.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
First off, I'm not sure what a "Termi" is.

Secondly, you would be better off just building your stock block. Swapping to an 03/04 block and crank and building that would be stupid, its the same crank as you have now and an iron block, the one you have now is aluminum and much lighter.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
dont swap.

it will cost you the same to build either and you aluminum block will save you 80lbs.

Not to mention the hassle of having to buy another motor (for no reason) and changing out at the crap to make it work.

+1. If you were swapping it in just to run some more boost then your stock block could then it would make sense...but why would you build a heavier block? How does that make sense?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You must put a 5.4 in it, or stroke it, or put a big bore in it to make any kind of power.

Droptop, you need a beer or something to calm you down :beer:

If all you want is boost, you can put the 03/04 internals in your block. At least the rods, you really need to go .020 over, so the stock pistons won't work. Rods aren't cheap, so that would save you alot and you wouldn't need to buy a block. Your block is plenty strong, no need to swap it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
i keep hearing horror stories about F/I 99's motors where the block was destoyed

The aluminum blocks can handle 900+ horsepower. The forged crank is right around the same level. What usually happens is someone runs a lot of boost and/or a poor tune with the stock rods and pistons. So either a rod breaks and puts a hole in the block, or a piston gives and gouges the cylinder. While those two scenarios kill the block, it's not because of a weak block. Oh, and the Manley rods that come in the Termis are plenty strong.

quikcobra

Established Member
i keep hearing horror stories about F/I 99's motors where the block was destoyed

However I keep hearing all the terminator guy's going to the teskid blocks! Ill say 60lb's off the front not to shabby with the same power level cant go wrong

However it is your car all up too you

Last edited:

cobravenom99

Established Member
Thanks,i appreciate the help. I know there are probably many other threads about this but if i was to start off from scratch what pistons. rod combo you guys recommend?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
depends on your power levels. H beams are good till 700-800 rwhp. You'll want billet I beams for anything higher. Diamond and CP make great pistons. You can run a little more compression with a centri than with turbo or a twin screw.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
depends on your power levels. H beams are good till 700-800 rwhp. You'll want billet I beams for anything higher. Diamond and CP make great pistons. You can run a little more compression with a centri than with turbo or a twin screw.

IMO an H-beam will take whatever you can throw at it...

My buddys race car has been H-beams in his car for 2+ years making 1000+rwhp thru a powerglide and has had no problems.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
yea but I bet that race car doesn't that many miles a year. Granted, they are HARD miles. It's kinda like going blown on the stock shortblock though, it may hold up, it may not. If I have that much money in my motor and I'm going over 900+rwhp, I'm springing for billet i-beams. That's just me.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
First off, I'm not sure what a "Termi" is.

Secondly, you would be better off just building your stock block. Swapping to an 03/04 block and crank and building that would be stupid, its the same crank as you have now and an iron block, the one you have now is aluminum and much lighter.

termi (not unlike Terminator or Term) is a totally gay name for an 03/04 Cobra...but i suspect you already know that lol

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
yea but I bet that race car doesn't that many miles a year. Granted, they are HARD miles. It's kinda like going blown on the stock shortblock though, it may hold up, it may not. If I have that much money in my motor and I'm going over 900+rwhp, I'm springing for billet i-beams. That's just me.

Saying a race car dosnt have many miles is obvious.

The car makes over 1300rwhp thru a powerglide now for over a year aswell.

I would also like for you to find where someone broke a h-beam b/c they couldnt hold the power ;-) good luck

Users who are viewing this thread