Terminator Doctors, What is your diagnosis?

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
For the past week I have smelled oil when I walk into my garage. I pulled out the car today and noticed the rear end was leaking. One pic shows about how much leaked in just under an hour. I noticed that the oil is dripping from a little rectangular box located right in front of the rear diff. I know the pics are not too clear. (Sorry) Last week I had another problem with the car jerking/slamming when I tried to accelerate in 6th gear. I could feel this jerking in the rear. It would not do it when I went through the gears. This was only with slight acceleration in 6th. Someone suggested to clean out the MAF. I did that and did not have the jerking problem the next time I drove it. I'm thinking that the jerking/slamming has caused this leaking but want to know what problem it caused? I had a problem with the rear diff leaking before but had it resealed and an IRS brace put on. The oil doesn't seem to be coming from where it came previously. Thanks for any info.
STA72916.gif

STA72914.gif

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Reseal again. Some people have multiple leaks with their diff. You need to check how much oil is in your rear before bad things happen. I recommend another round of grey sealant or LubeLocker gasket.

fastgt110

Established Member
That box is what supports the rear diff at the cover. How much oil did you put in when you resealed? Could be oil blowing out the top vent possibly unless there is a crack in the cover. Jack up the car and get a better look :) wouldn't hurt to torque check the cover bolts you can too a well.

If you have to reseal I also recommend te lube locker gasket over rtv.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
I don't think it is blowing out of the top vent because of the amount that is coming out. I have always noticed a drip here or there but not this much.

That box is what supports the rear diff at the cover. How much oil did you put in when you resealed? Could be oil blowing out the top vent possibly unless there is a crack in the cover. Jack up the car and get a better look :) wouldn't hurt to torque check the cover bolts you can too a well.

If you have to reseal I also recommend te lube locker gasket over rtv.

Was this a big deal/cost to fix? Thanks.
Also check your pinion seal. Mine was leaking and I originally thought it was my cover.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Was this a big deal/cost to fix? Thanks.

Not at all. First off, if you've had that drive shaft out recently and didn't mark it it could be on the wrong way. It will bolt up two different ways to that pinion. That was my issue. I got the diff rebuilt and they cleaned off my mark :bash: I rotated it 180% and everything was fine. Mine didn't vibrate enough to feel, but it cause the seal to leak. They replaced the seal with the diff in the car just in case. I spent $700 rebuilding the diff the week before, so they were really laid back and just did it for free.

Unbolt the pinion from the drive shaft, remove the big bolt holding it on and slide it out. Seal is right there. Replace seal. Fluid will come out, so have some to refill with and put a bucket under where the pinion is to catch the lost fluid. If you have a lift and power tools, it should take you under 30 minutes. Exhaust doesn't even have to be removed. The new seal should be a couple bucks. Just clean off the bottom of the diff really well and make sure the fluid is actually coming from there. I cleaned mine off twice just to make 100% sure.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Thanks so much for the info. I def hope it is a simple fix.

:beer:

Not at all. First off, if you've had that drive shaft out recently and didn't mark it it could be on the wrong way. It will bolt up two different ways to that pinion. That was my issue. I got the diff rebuilt and they cleaned off my mark :bash: I rotated it 180% and everything was fine. Mine didn't vibrate enough to feel, but it cause the seal to leak. They replaced the seal with the diff in the car just in case. I spent $700 rebuilding the diff the week before, so they were really laid back and just did it for free.

Unbolt the pinion from the drive shaft, remove the big bolt holding it on and slide it out. Seal is right there. Replace seal. Fluid will come out, so have some to refill with and put a bucket under where the pinion is to catch the lost fluid. If you have a lift and power tools, it should take you under 30 minutes. Exhaust doesn't even have to be removed. The new seal should be a couple bucks. Just clean off the bottom of the diff really well and make sure the fluid is actually coming from there. I cleaned mine off twice just to make 100% sure.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Update and it is a bummer. I have a cracked diff cover. This is so weird that this just happened because I don't track my car nor do I bang on it. :shrug:

P.S. Someone please pm me if you know of someone selling a rear diff cover or where I can pick one up at a decent price. Thanks.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
My wife doesn't vote for the Ford cover. ;-)
I just don't know. Are they supposed to be a good deal stronger?

The brace you ran helps to beef up the weak cast metal cover.
Do not replace with a stock cover and brace.
Get the Ford racing unit.
Do it once and do it right or you may have the same issue on the future.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
I ended up going with the LPW as it was cheaper than the Ford Racing. I hope it holds up well. Anyone have experience with the LPW?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I ended up going with the LPW as it was cheaper than the Ford Racing. I hope it holds up well. Anyone have experience with the LPW?

The LPW cover is a defininte upgrade from stock.
A lot of people have run them with good results.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member

I have the LPW. Everyone i know has to grind off the letters to get it to fit. Myself included. I have seen people get away with it working fine, so cross your fingers! You might be one of the lucky ones :)

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.

I have the LPW. Everyone i know has to grind off the letters to get it to fit. Myself included. I have seen people get away with it working fine, so cross your fingers! You might be one of the lucky ones :)

Users who are viewing this thread