Terminator owners: Pay respect to the SVT Thunderbird

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
I came across a very interesting piece of information that was unbeknownst to me until this morning. There was supposed to be an SVT Thunderbird. It was due to be released in late 1997. There were some test mules made and they had essentially the same drivetrain as the 03/04 Mustang Cobras. Complete with 4.6 Eaton supercharged V8. But the project was scrapped mid-97 when Ford canceled the Thunderbird. Ford believed that the midsize coupe market was done. At least two SVT Thunderbirds are rummored to have survived the crusher.

SVTyellow.jpg

svtpic01.jpg

svtpic02.jpg

tbirdarticle.jpg

The following photos are of Alex Baynard's SVT Thunderbird

SVTSC3-205.jpg

carlisle43.jpg

SVTBIRDS.jpg

FordBaynard.jpg

96svesc.jpg

Link: http://thunderbird.stangnet.com/svtbird.htm

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
yea, i read alot about that on tccoa.com when i had my thunderbird. the pics of alex baynards car are not an actual prototype. he made a replica. all the other pics are of one of the actual test mules. they made four and when the project got scrapped they crushed two. there are suposedly two left. i've read that John Coletti has one and i forget who has the other.

Frank

stvdman

Established Member
oldnfast- ME TOO! I had a Midnight Blue Metallic 89 , 5-speed, moonroof, and blue leather inetrior (very dark). I LOVED that car, first car I ever owned afte having trucks.

When I saw that Ford was building a 97 SVT thunderbird with a s/c V-8 I started saving $$$ immediately. I was upset that they didnt go through with it.

Thankfully they came out with the 03 Cobra....it was worth the wait....

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
yeah i remember that
would have been a hell of a car, i would own one in a min
kinda been looking for a t-bird to build like that for a while
cant find one in good shape tho

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
More interesting Thunderbird history:

There were plans for an AWD MN-12. There were 3 test mules made. One is know to survive. The project was started with the help of Porsche, but Ford found their method too expensive so they teamed up with DANA. The cars utilized alot of Porsche, and BMW parts as well as one-off custom parts.

Pics of the beat up test mule that still survives:

AWD8(8).jpg

AWD1(8).jpg

AWD2(8).jpg

AWD3(8).jpg

AWD4(8).jpg

AWD5(8).jpg

AWD6(8).jpg

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Steeltwo said:
wouldn't that have been faster than the 96-98 cobra???
You would think so. I think the 'bird was lighter too (even though it was a little bigger). I can't remember how much mine weighed.

stvdman said:
oldnfast- ME TOO! I had a Midnight Blue Metallic 89 , 5-speed, moonroof, and blue leather inetrior (very dark).
Same color, auto, blue (fake) suede. I buffed it out to damn near black. Great car. In some ways, better than the snakemobile.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
oldnfast said:
You would think so. I think the 'bird was lighter too (even though it was a little bigger). I can't remember how much mine weighed.
3460lbs

Users who are viewing this thread