terrible gas mileage

04COBRAinJapan

Established Member
Help, Im getting terrible gas mileage. The only thing I did was change the intake with a BBK CAI. The car idles correct and there are no engine codes. Power is there with no hesitations or stalling. WTF could the problem be?

04COBRAinJapan

Established Member
about ten miles per gallon. i can let the car idle for about 15 mins and actually see the change in the gas needle.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
The BBK CAI has a bend in front of the MAF that goes into the fender for "colder air" but this is a bad thing. You want a straight shot through the MAF because the bend will create turbulence and throw the reading off and this could possibly be your issue. Just a thought. GL.

vickerw

Established Member
I have a JLT CAI that goes into my fender. That was my first mod I did when I got my car that was completely stock. Right after that I drove to Birmingham Alabama for the MCA 40th Anniv. I was getting about 18mpg on the highway staying out of boost. So I dont understand why the CAI would make a difference. If anything it should get a little better gas mileage if you ask me. Is this the only thing done to your car?

04COBRAinJapan

Established Member
I changed the clutch with a stock, but this should have no effect on gas mileage. The only thing that came off was the Hpipe, driveshaft and tranny. Is it possible i might need a tune?

vickerw

Established Member
I have NO idea what could have caused your gas mileage to drop off like that. Nothing you have listed should have caused this. You dont need a tune with just adding the CAI. After I added my CAI I had my car on the dyno & had the A/F checked & it was good. It was running a little rich on the top end of the RPM range, but was definitely nothing to worry about.

Evan5469

Established Member
I'd say since it's something as simple as a CAI put the stock one back on and see if your gas mileage returns. If not I'd look into tune up type stuff like plugs, fuel filter etc.

DEVIL

Established Member
My tuner told me the BBK made my GT run rich. Partly because of the bends, and smaller sized air filter. It's slightly smaller than the K&N. You might want to clean your MAF sensor, a new air filter can have a little too much oil on it, and when you run it, at first, it could contaminate the MAF.

Users who are viewing this thread