Test Drive SHO - Smoke?

soundhertz

Hi folks,

I test drove a 2013 Taurus SHO with ~18k miles on it. I get it out on the road and for the first 1/2mile, perhaps more, white smelly smoke was pouring out of the exhaust.

It had snowed a lot a few weeks back and the SHO was sitting in the lot for about a month...but I'm nearly positive this wasn't a matter of water up the tailpipe.

If terms of specifically mechanical problems, what could this smoke be a result of? I heard suggestions that one of the Turbos could be bad or that bad valve seals or guide could be to blame. In the case of the valve seals, oil will accumulate on the back of the valves and burns off at startup.

It's one of these certified-used situations and I want to suggest steps they could take to make the car worth buying. In the end, I'll probably keep looking. SHOs are few and far between at the price I'm willing to pay and it sucks that this one fit the bill initially.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

mavisky

Established Member
Sounds like coolant burning from somewhere. Could be a bad turbo from either or both of the turbos or even a head gasket.

94_Vert

Established Member
It could be from not being driven for a while. If it was only 15-20 sec.s, and didnt do it again, may not be anything. Go back in a few days and drive it again. See if its still there.

soundhertz

I'll definitely be driving it again sometime soon. I was actually thinking to let it sit for an entire week to see if I can get it to smoke again this time with a mechanic in the passenger seat.

The poor salesman had no idea what was going on...gotta have a gear-head when selling one of these.

What an insanely fun car. I haven't felt an AWD setup move like that maybe ever. Drove the Volvo S60 T6 earlier in the day and my dinky little malibu could have smoked its supposed 300hp.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Mine sits alot and zero smoke and smell. Sounds like a turbo shit the bed. If its a Ford dealer they should warranty it. If not, Find another SHO.

Users who are viewing this thread