Test drive Viper?

out99sider

Established Member
So i have owned my SN95 cobra for the past 10 years, modding everything but the engine and sinking an unreasonable amount of money into it. I have always wanted a Viper since I was a little kid and as the prices have come down more and more, it is now within reason. My question to you is what do you do when you have a specific car in mind but haven't got enough time behind the wheel to determine if it is a good purchase. Both cars I own I had spent time behind the wheel of but Vipers are obviously a little more difficult to come across. Of course, I can go and test drive but I just don't think a quick test drive would determine much. Any suggestions? I am looking into a 97-02 RT-10- does anyone have one relatively close to here? Thanks in advance!

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
I would try a viper forum and not a svt site as they would have more knowledge on the subject than a ford forum just a thought.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I highly doubt someone would let you test drive it if your engine is stock. These cars are very squirmy when you hit the go pedal and you could wreck it of your not used to the power and the raw feel of the vipers.

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
more important than a test drive is having a qualified mechanic look at the car. you know they're fast. what you need to know is that it's not a piece of shit.

out99sider

Established Member
thanks for the support you all. i figured i would ask here first considering I have been here for 9 years and not just a newbie like I would be on a Viper forum. as for the power of the car, I understand what your saying, I am just basically looking to get a general feel of how the car rides and not looking to set any record 0-60 times. I have some friends here that have owned collectively 5+ Vipers but have since moved on to other rides so they will definitely help me in what to look for. Lastly, having had my SN95 Cobra coupe for the past 10 years, I'm looking at RT-10's for the simple idea of being able to take the Targa top off. Also, these seem to be a little more in line with my 25k range price wise. thanks again

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Vipers are cool cars. They're fast and you get a lot of attention in them. On the other hand, they're pretty uncomfortable and ride like shit compared to other sports/muscle cars.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'm looking at RT-10's for the simple idea of being able to take the Targa top off.

Supra turbo or C5 would be my choice over a RT10. Both would also sound better. If you go the C5 route drop in a crate LS3. :dancenana:

out99sider

Established Member
^and that's the catch 22. i've always wanted the viper but would hate to get one then realize a week later comfort wise and driveabillity it sucks. thanks for the thoughts you all.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have drove a 96 GTS and a rt10. Both rode like sh*t imo. I have RODE in a 03 srt10 and it was a bit better

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If you plan on driving the car a lot, don't get one.

These cars are for real men, who don't don't bitch about traction control and a rough ride.

97gts

Established Member
If you plan on driving the car a lot, don't get one.

These cars are for real men, who don't don't bitch about traction control and a rough ride.

+1, however I daily drive mine. The biggest complain I hear is getting in and out of the car and the lack of cup holder....it's a great car...

Users who are viewing this thread