Test drove an ST and a GTI

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Ok, so I spent some time today at a couple of dealers test driving the ST, and the GTI. I drove two ST's, an ST2 and an ST3, and a GTI/GTI-R (both with and without the DSG).

Anyway, the VW first. The GTI is a nice car. Compared to the focus it rides smoother, has a little more room for the passengers (but less storage), comfortable seats and I flat out love the steering wheel. Steering feel is alright, not as quick as the focus, but not bad. The car accelerates alright, doesn't really have any noticeable torque steer, but it's definitely slower than the ST. Probably the thing that surprised me the most was sound. First, the car is louder inside at cruise than the focus is, and second, it just doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the focus when on the gas. Still, it's a really nice little car even though it wasn't anything I was real excited about. The DSG trans is pretty cool, but I still prefer a regular manual. The R-model was noticeably faster then the regular GTI, but for my budget this time around I don't think I'm going to spring for the R. Otherwise i'd have a much harder time making a decision. One thing that did strike me as a negative though, was that you can't (as far as I could tell anyway) remove the rear head rests. This was a problem for me, because proper installation of my son's forward facing car seat requires that the headrest be removed. So be warned if you need to take the headrest off for a car seat, you might have an issue.

As for the focus; First, two car seats DO fit in the car. A big plus to the focus in this regard was the front seats....I couldn't really feel my son kicking the seat in the focus, unlike the VW, which felt like he was kicking me directly. I'm guessing this is related to the Recaro seat construction, but whatever it is I'm thankful for it. The focus, IMO, is more fun to drive than the GTI, but has far worse torque steer. The steering wheel is also not quite as nice (and much more busy), and ford could learn something from the VW dead pedal setup. The focus was quieter at cruise, and sounded much better under hard acceleration. Other things I noticed between the ST2/ST3 models. First, I found the all leather seats in the ST3 to be more comfortable, I'm guessing because they don't grip your clothes as easily as the cloth. Second, the ST3's driver seat is power, but the adjustments with it are the same as the ST2. Back/forth, up/down, and recline. Raising the seat does adjust the tilt some, but you can't alter that angle independently of anything else, which was a disappointment for me. I was able to find a comfortable driving position however. 3rd, despite what the online reviews say, the rear seats DO fold flat. You just have to flip the bottom seat forward first. This tidbit was NEVER mentioned anywhere online, everyone just complained that the seats didn't fold flat. That's simply not true. Last, the ST2/ST3 have a different center console design. I didn't realize this until I had gone to a different dealership to drive the ST2, so I do'nt know how much the armrest storage space differs, but I can tell you that the cup holders are in a different spot (and orientation), and that the parking brake is moved. i'm guessing this is to accommodate the heated seat controls.

I enjoyed driving both cars, but I think I prefer the focus. I can't really quantify why exactly, but to me, the focus is the more fun of the two to drive. I'm also a big gadget geek, and as far as electronic toys are concerned, the focus is the hands down winner. MFT, though buggy, leaves you a whole bunch more to play with than the VW setup.

On a side note, I think the focus has the deepest glove box I've ever seen. I think you could fit at least one dead hooker in there.

Last edited:

flS/R

Established Member
if you want a your choice to be quantified, read the review car and driver did between these two cars last month. They came up with the same conclusion

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah I saw that. I'll probably drive both again, but the fact that my initial impressions have me leaning towards the focus, AND the focus is cheaper, i'd be surprised if I got a GTI. I'm still going to to drive a WRX though.

LaserRed38

HOONIGT
Established Member
I haven't driven an ST yet, but I drove a regular Focus and the lineup has come a LONG way. I have a few friends with WRX's though, and that boxer-4 just tugs at my heart. I have an Escape right now, and I'm thinking long and hard about trading in for an STi, which would be my first non-Ford!:nonono:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I haven't driven an ST yet, but I drove a regular Focus and the lineup has come a LONG way. I have a few friends with WRX's though, and that boxer-4 just tugs at my heart. I have an Escape right now, and I'm thinking long and hard about trading in for an STi, which would be my first non-Ford!:nonono:

I love a WRX, but I don't know if I want one as a daily. I just don't like the interior as much. It is fun to drive though, and they just flat out sound cool.

For those following, I've got a couple of ford dealers down to the 27,500 range (plus tax/tags) for an ST3 with a moonroof. That seems to be about as far as I can press them though.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
I drove a 03 GTI and after test driving the focus ST I was sold. I have 2 car seats in the back and I do feel my son if he bumps the back of the seats but it feels the same in any car to me. The new GTI is nice I was looking at the GTI R if I was going to replace mine but my wife said no more VW's since I had to take it in to the shop for warranty work a lot.

Last edited:

nicksender

Established Member
I think you are on the right track with the ST. I worked on my brother's '02 GTI a lot when it was out of warranty and it nickel and dimed him before dumping it for a new WRX.

The GTI was a nice car; but it always needed expensive electrical parts and special tools for repairing a lot of the general maintenance items. I know a lot of people with the GTI's and most of them were maintenance nightmares; especially in the electrical dept. I guess they are fine if you have one under warranty and plan to dump it after that. They always do well in the magazine tests; but that doesn't mean much to me.

I would take a chance on the ST even without a proven background in the US. Good luck with your choice!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I drove a 03 GTI and after test driving the focus ST I was sold. I have 2 car seats in the back and I do feel my son if he bumps the back of the seats but it feels the same in any car to me. The new GTI is nice I was looking at the GTI R if I was going to replace mine but my wife said no more VW's since I had to take it in to the shop for warranty work a lot.

Really? I couldn't feel mine kicking hardly at all. Do you have the Recaro's?

I was looking at the Golf-R, but it wasn't any more fun to drive than the focus...which made it really hard to justify the extra 6 grand to get it. Plus...the maintenance problems. I've read, and heard, lots of folks complaining about them. The R is AWD which really had me considering it, but I eventually stuck with the Focus.

I think you are on the right track with the ST. I worked on my brother's '02 GTI a lot when it was out of warranty and it nickel and dimed him before dumping it for a new WRX.

The GTI was a nice car; but it always needed expensive electrical parts and special tools for repairing a lot of the general maintenance items. I know a lot of people with the GTI's and most of them were maintenance nightmares; especially in the electrical dept. I guess they are fine if you have one under warranty and plan to dump it after that. They always do well in the magazine tests; but that doesn't mean much to me.

I would take a chance on the ST even without a proven background in the US. Good luck with your choice!

Thanks. Lets hope it's a solid car. Ford really seems to have been doing a good job with the new vehicles, and I'm hoping this one sticks with that trend. It's a real blast to drive, it could just use a little more oomph. Maybe I'll get used to it though..we shall see.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
Really? I couldn't feel mine kicking hardly at all. Do you have the Recaro's?

I was looking at the Golf-R, but it wasn't any more fun to drive than the focus...which made it really hard to justify the extra 6 grand to get it. Plus...the maintenance problems. I've read, and heard, lots of folks complaining about them. The R is AWD which really had me considering it, but I eventually stuck with the Focus.

Thanks. Lets hope it's a solid car. Ford really seems to have been doing a good job with the new vehicles, and I'm hoping this one sticks with that trend. It's a real blast to drive, it could just use a little more oomph. Maybe I'll get used to it though..we shall see.

I have the all leather Recaro's. Took me a day to get adjusted to the seats but I wouldn't trade them for anything else. Watch the videos and read the articles write ups about the GTI Vs. the Focus ST. Everyone of the tests they put the cars though they liked both a lot but the ST won them over.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah, same here. I went back and forth, but still bought the ford. My kid LOVED his first ride in it this morning.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I love a WRX, but I don't know if I want one as a daily. I just don't like the interior as much. It is fun to drive though, and they just flat out sound cool.

For those following, I've got a couple of ford dealers down to the 27,500 range (plus tax/tags) for an ST3 with a moonroof. That seems to be about as far as I can press them though.

If you are an mca member you might be cheaper on x plan than negotiating.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
For me living in Northern VA. my kids love the ride when I'm on the back roads through the twists and hills

Sweet, I'm looking forward to taking this thing down some local windy roads once the weather dries out a bit. I know my Kid sure liked it this morning (he's 3).

If you are an mca member you might be cheaper on x plan than negotiating.

Unlikely. I have access to X-plan, and the price I got on this was definitely better than X-plan pricing that I've seen others post. X-plan is very convenient, but you can often beat the price if you get a couple of volume dealerships battling over the car for you. The invoice on an ST3 with a moonroof is 28,130, and it has 800 in holdback. So at 27,500, they ate 630 into holdback. I don't think X-Plan brings the price down that far, at least not from what I saw people posting on focusst.org

I just watched an ST vs Golf R review on youtube and the presenter said the same thing you just did.

Yeah, I have a feeling the ST is gonna put a dent in GTI sales. The VW salesman that I was working with didn't sound surprised when I bought the focus instead...I have a feeling I wasn't the first person to do it.

Asylum938

Established Member
I am in VW sales.

And The GTI is a great car! and I haven't had the chance to drive an ST yet. I would like to!

Just a note the GTI/R rear headrest do come off! there in a little trick to it though that im sure most people don't realize. there is a small slot in the side of the headrest that you have to insert a flat head screw driver to push in a clip.

and even though I am in VW sales I drive a 2011 GT so you can see what way i went! :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread