Test drove the NEW 05 Mustang GT

qbeanjoe

Banned
I loved it, it was all black on black, I was getting sooo much stares in it, it was a 40 min of racing in the hills, i put at least 15 miles on it, and he didn't trip. Might buy it this weekend, anyone else moving up to the new style?

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
How did it feel performance wise???

Personally I do not like the look of the new body style...(at least until I see the new cobra in a few years) thats why i bought a 2004 cobra as fast as i could.

they say that the new GT can hit 0-60 in like 5.3 which is a full second quicker than previous GT's. did u get on it at all??? how was the handling? what was the sticker??

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Looking at it in person made me realize how much I really didn't like the looks of it. And opening the door and looking at the interior just made things worse. :(

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I saw my first 05 GT today and maybe it was the color (bright yellow) or something but it just didn't have the same energy and luster to it that it did in the Redfire color at the autoshow last year on the turntable. Needless to say, I wouldn't have a yellow 05 GT. Actually, (hope this doesn't offend anyone) it looked kinda girly to me, especially in the rear end. It looked chunky and too square.
Well, that was my initial opinion. I don't know, I'm really liking mine more since seeing a couple of 05s with the only REAL envy being for that gorgeous interior its got. However, judging my the pics, my favorite colors have been bright red and silver. If the car doesn't win me over with red, silver or black, I'm going to officially say I don't like it.

Last edited:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I've only checked the one at up at my work so far. It sold in the first hour that it was available for sale. They would look clean as hell with a 2" drop and some 18"s with 275 or 295's in the rear.

Sephiroth

Established Member
Originally posted by 04TRCobra
How did it feel performance wise???

Personally I do not like the look of the new body style...(at least until I see the new cobra in a few years) thats why i bought a 2004 cobra as fast as i could.

they say that the new GT can hit 0-60 in like 5.3 which is a full second quicker than previous GT's. did u get on it at all??? how was the handling? what was the sticker??

Hm, I dont think 0-60 is over 6 seconds on a 99+GT. :??:

I havent driven one either, but I have heard 2 different things, one is it is(feels faster) than the 99+'s, and some guy on Corral said he bout a auto for his wife and it is slower than his 99auto. He didnt say if his 99 was stock or not. :shrug:

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Established Member
New thread on Corral:

I work in the service department at a dealership in McGregor, Tx and we dealer-traded for a dark-grayish '05 GT 5 speed, leather and all the whatnots, yesterday. I got here at the dealership about 20 minutes before everyone else this morning and went out to rag on it. I would say it felt equivalent to my friend's '99 WS6 when it was stock. Sounded the same inside the car as the WS6 did, and the power was definitely there. I missed 3rd gear once, but the power was so much more than the '04 GTs that I've driven off the lot. The clutch was pretty light, which I'm not used to, but yeah besides the different transmission the power, handling and sound reminded me of driving that WS6 all over again.

:p

Cal

Established Member
Autoweek got to 60 in 5 flat and I think motor Tend got to 60 in 5.1 or something close.

I'll take mine in Black, add 18 (or 19 inch - those will fit well) 00 R wheels (in chrome) and blackout (or remove) the fog light lenses. Then I'll drop it 2 inches. I'll also put a more agressive hood (maybe a cowl). That's what it needs.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Originally posted by Cal
Autoweek got to 60 in 5 flat and I think motor Tend got to 60 in 5.1 or something close.

Yep..motor trend for 5.1 in an AUTO! They say they predict the 5 speed should do it in 4.8 or 4.9. Quite a bit faster than the pre-05 GT's.:rockon:

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Originally posted by StngStr
Yep..motor trend for 5.1 in an AUTO! They say they predict the 5 speed should do it in 4.8 or 4.9. Quite a bit faster than the pre-05 GT's.:rockon:

Damn that's quick! If a manual can get to 60mph in 4.8 or 4.9 seconds, that would put it very close to some expensive performance cars.

URBAN COWBOY

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
It also makes one wonder what in the heck SVT has in mind with the Cobra if the GT is going to be this good of a performer? Just to think if Ford could somehow make the blown 5.4 DOHC halfway affordable in the Cobra (mid-upper $30s) what kind of ego damage a Mustang could do in the performance car world!!!!
Think about 450+ horsepower, 6 speed manual tranny, and a performance-tuned suspension with a IRS that everybody could be happy with. Undercut the Corvette's price and overpower it, all complete with a backseat.
Now, rationally I'll think about how poor I still am, how much the insurance premiums would be and probably what kind of gas mileae it would get.

Sapperstang

Established Member
I checked one out last night. Dealer had a bunch of V6's. The exterior is OK but I can't bring myself to like the interior. Feels cheap. Steering wheel especially.

bchisom99

Established Member
Feels Cheap?? WTF do you drive an Infinity??? Drove one today, thought the interior was awesome....cheap? .....its a mustang....not an Aviator

Sapperstang

Established Member
Originally posted by bchisom99
Feels Cheap?? WTF do you drive an Infinity??? Drove one today, thought the interior was awesome....cheap? .....its a mustang....not an Aviator

I drive a Mach 1 and you would of seen that had you read my sig. So I don't think the interior is much of a step up as far as quality goes. That is my opinion. Especially the steering wheel and the tilt function.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Originally posted by StngStr

yea i read that in my mag as well...i dont understand that....they also said how they ran a previous gen mustang 5-speed 0-60 in 5.4 seconds...i dont believe that. every other mag/article about previous (2004 and under) mustangs said that their best was usually around 6.0.

and i used to have an 04 WRX and when it was stock i would beat mustang gt's to 60 by about 2 carlengths. so now way were they running in the mid 5 second range.

and i dont believe that a new mustang gt will run to 60 in under 5 seconds with a manual...i have a hard time believing they got an auto to go it in 5.1.....i mean this car only has 35 more hp than the current. not that much of a difference. the weight factor isnt that huge either. A Camaro SS with 330hp does 0-60 with a manual in like 5.5-5.8 how can a 300hp mustang GT hit 4.8????? doesnt make sense. thats getting right on top of our 03/04 cobras. and since mustangs usually get faster and faster the more u get into the throttle....how will a 4.8 0-60 end up with a 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile time???? so they get slower after a jump off the line. then who cares about there 0-60 time.

id like to see how they perform on the street with a daily driver.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
you don't have a clue what you're talking about. A Camaro SS will do 0-60 a lot faster than 5.5-5.8. More like 5.0. Our terminators do it in about 4.5 stock.

Mojo03

Established Member
I happen to like the looks of the new Stang. I, for one, can remember driving in the 68's and 69's, but I can understand the younger crowd's feeling about it, too. Check out the other comanies because retro is definitely "IN."
It'll always be a Mustang, but it's very improved in many areas. Look at the base price for what you get and I think that's pretty darn good!
I'll predict that the looks will be tweaked over the next few years because it feels just a little "not quite there."
I'll keep my mod'ed '03 Cobra until the '07 comes out. Should have around 500hp and, hopefully, a better blower that keeps huffing as the RPMs climb.

99GTvert

Established Member
I have seen many articles and stats on the internet of the previous generation GT's getting to 60 in 5.4-5.5. None of them were anywhere near 6 let alone mid 6's and the LS1's were even faster. And the 05's are not just a previous model with 3v heads and 40 more hp. It is completely redesigned from drivetrain to suspension. So these numbers seem very possible. As for retro being "in" I definitely agree but I would also say that Ford is the only company doing it right (05 Mustang, GT, Cobra Concept). All of the other "retro" cars are not that great I think (SSR, GTO).

qbeanjoe

Banned
Really 5.1 on an auto?
I drove the auto on a GT, it seemed fast, but not that fast.
I think it's because the transmission felt smoother when it accelerated, I had to take off the damn traction control so i could tweek the wheels, with 300 hp on an auto, shouldn't it burn some damn tires? It didn't really burn them with soooo much power.

Also, I went back to the dealership, and the 05 gt was sold the same night I left. It was such a bummer, but they wanted a $5000, mark up. They'll come down to 25,000. One day.

The interior was pretty comfortable, it looked wierd at first, but when you sit and it, and drive it, it doesn't feel as cheap. It seems that all the ford cars will have thunderbird interiors.... from the dash. It's pretty much the same in the F-150, and Expedition also, i mean the AC vents.

Users who are viewing this thread