Texas gun questions

Monster14

Beer Me
Established Member
When I travel in my truck I carry my pistol in my glove box, I do not have CHL, but my understanding of Texas law is I don't need one to carry in my vehicle.

#1. Do I have to declare the weapon if pulled over for a minor traffic violation if not asked if I have a weapon?

#2. If I have a gun in my truck without a CHL and I make the officer aware of it, does that give the officer probable cause to search my vehicle?

I don't have nothing to hide but I don't want to be standing on the side of the road while they tear my car apart looking for something that is not there.
This has never happen to me but I always think about it while traveling. Thanks for replies, especially LEOs.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
1. No, you do not have to declare the weapon. It's up to you. Now, let's say you open the glove box to retrieve your insurance papers or whatever the case and I see it. You are fixing to have a 357 stuck in your ear.
2. Depends on the circumstances. If you declare it I'm going to want to know where it's at. I may even ask to see it and be prepared to answer several questions about it. I will likely run the serial number.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
1. No, you do not have to declare the weapon. It's up to you. Now, let's say you open the glove box to retrieve your insurance papers or whatever the case and I see it. You are fixing to have a 357 stuck in your ear.
2. Depends on the circumstances. If you declare it I'm going to want to know where it's at. I may even ask to see it and be prepared to answer several questions about it. I will likely run the serial number.

just to clarify, you do NOT have to have a CHL to carry a weapon in your car? Can it be loaded or does the magazine/ammo have to be seperate?

Why would you run the serial if its declared? (just curious, though I think i know what you will say)

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
just to clarify, you do NOT have to have a CHL to carry a weapon in your car? Can it be loaded or does the magazine/ammo have to be seperate?

Why would you run the serial if its declared? (just curious, though I think i know what you will say)

1. In Texas, no you do not have to have a CHL to carry a handgun in your vehicle but no where else. Statute was passed allowing this in 2007. It can be loaded.

2. They run the serial number to verify that it's not stolen. I've never understood it, especially with CHL holders, but it's SOP for some.

blackvette101

Established Member

I think its standard procedure. Over the last few years I've had my serial numbers run every single time I've been pulled over. (at least a dozen or more times) I've actually had the same gun checked out by the same cop in a period of 6 months. I'm a CWL holder.

It's probably because one of them is a mini AK-47. Some cops are cool and talk to me about guns for 20-30 minutes and some look at me like I'm bin laden and call for mass backup when I tell them about it.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I have had my CHL for a year but carried in my car for years before that because my buddy who is a CHL instructor advised me to. It is perfectly legal. I was told BY A COP who lives next door to me (also a good buddy) that I do not have to declare the weapon. Now that I have my CHL that is a different story. You must turn over your License and CHL cards when pulled over.. if you fail to hand over your CHL you will have a pissed off officer for sure. Most officers who I have talked to are very cool with us having concealed weapons to protect our selves and families. My neighbor bugs me to carry all the time and tells me they can't be everywhere all the time to help. Carry on man!

NEp8ntballer

Established Member

in TX your vehicle is considered an extension of your 'castle'

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
You carry the firearm how you want to carry it, loaded or unloaded. Me, why would I carry a firearm unloaded.
Running the serial number is a policy issue to check for stolen. There are too many thieves and un-honest knuckleheads stealing firearms and selling to the cartel. No, say it ain't so!!

Just cooperate and go with the flow. If you had a firearm stolen from you I'm sure you would want it back and the only way to recover the firearm is to run serial number. Keep in mind the officer is doing his job. Don't take it personal!

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
You carry the firearm how you want to carry it, loaded or unloaded. Me, why would I carry a firearm unloaded.
Running the serial number is a policy issue to check for stolen. There are too many thieves and un-honest knuckleheads stealing firearms and selling to the cartel. No, say it ain't so!!

Just cooperate and go with the flow. If you had a firearm stolen from you I'm sure you would want it back and the only way to recover the firearm is to run serial number. Keep in mind the officer is doing his job. Don't take it personal!

I understand it's procedure, but it just seems illogical to me. If I volunteer information that the firearm is there, it stands to reason it's not likely stolen.

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
I understand it's procedure, but it just seems illogical to me. If I volunteer information that the firearm is there, it stands to reason it's not likely stolen.

If you believe everyone when they tell you it's not stolen, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

If you knew it was stolen, would you admit it to the officer???:shrug:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
If you believe everyone when they tell you it's not stolen, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

If you knew it was stolen, would you admit it to the officer???:shrug:

No but I likely wouldn't tell him it was there either. Thus the "stands to reason" portion of my post.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member

If you purchased the weapon via a private sale, it would be possible for you not to know the history of the weapon. Just because you announce your carrying and seem like a nice guy, doesn't mean your not a shitbag. If I have you pulled over, I'm running the serial.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
If you purchased the weapon via a private sale, it would be possible for you not to know the history of the weapon. Just because you announce your carrying and seem like a nice guy, doesn't mean your not a shitbag. If I have you pulled over, I'm running the serial.

That's true, hadn't thought of the private sale component. Like I said, I'm fine with the procedure though I've never had it done personally or gotten anything other than "leave it where it is".

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member

Well put. :beer:

Dalpilot

Established Member
Take your hands roll them palms up and stick them in the half circle between the top of the wheel and the hub. Roll all the windows down and if its night turn the lights on. Declare the weapon is in the vehicle. Many times that is enough for a warning. Ih he is comfortable and knows you are doing everything you can to make him comfortable he is going to be alot more agreeable to let you off with a warning.

Dalpilot

Established Member

Why would you give the "shitbag" an opportunity to place his hand on a weapon?

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Where did I say that I would let a potential "shitbag" place his hands on anything?

Think he's implying that the driver would have to place his hand on his gun in order to hand it to you. I'm going to go ahead and bet you probably don't allow him to hand it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread