Texas Leos Plz....

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
I see alot of mustangs without front license plates around here, and have talked to alot of these guys and none of them have had any problems with the leos. My former 89' didn't have a license plate in the front (that's the way it came) but i got my ass handed to me by a texas trooper because of the fact that i didn't have one (no ticket, just a warning and a half hr lecture). My 86 didn't have one either and i got the same ass chewing, yet i see cars like this all over the road even NEW mustangs. I just bought a new front bumper (long story involving drunk driver.) and this new bumper doesn't have any holes for the plates. Do i need to buy the plate locator kit and drill holes in my new bumper (i really don't want to) or can i leave it clean? I really love the way some of you guys's cars look with out the front plate sucking up the front profile shot. Do i need it or can i leave it off? Sorry it's a bit long but i felt some back story would help. Thanks guys in advance and keep up the good work on the streets.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Texas issues two license plates. They are both to be affixed to the vehicle in the proper place.

Use velcro and attach it to the from bumper.

83 5oh

Established Member
well it's good to know. but why do i see cobras and vettes rolling around with out them? i mean wouldn't they get tickets? i'm just trying to clearify this for my self as much as i can. thanks for the response svtfan

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
They are taking a risk. If you wish to assume that risk, go ahead. But with every risk assumed there is a consequence.

Evileyes

Established Member
Put on the front plate and get over it. Two plates front and rear, STATE LAW, if you don't like it talk to your district rep.

83 5oh

Established Member
whoa man, why so harsh...i was just askin about it...so as to NOT get a ticket if i did it...thanks fordsvt, it's goin on this bumper.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
As FordSVTfan stated, you are taking a risk everytime you get on a public roadway.
I warn the driver with a new vehicle one time and that is it. Now, if you have an older vehicle and give me the excuse "I just don't want to" then you will be issued a citation.
There was a petition at the last legislation two years ago and it did not pass. I hear there is a petition again, but I haven't seen the propsed bill as of yet.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
two plates guys front and rear...this is to assist us in identifying your vehicle coming or going...as some of you like to do that very quickly at times...In my 10 year career, I have only issued it as a citation once...I told a lady to put her front license plate on her vehicle and she mouthed off at me and told me she would...she even showed me the plate in her vehicle, under the seat...3 weeks later I saw her and the vehicle again...no front LP...citation city

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^ yes, here recently I've had to do the same thing. I guess these folks think we are just blowing smoke or something? After a few warnings that's it. You are not special.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Negative, it is okay to visibly show it from the cab. Again, it must be visible. I have had folks throw it up on the dash when they see me, sorry but thats not going to cut it either. Try again.

83 5oh

Established Member
ok so if it's visible from the cab then it's cool....i was going to put it on my passenger side visor velcro'd on and just have the visor down when i drive it....so that would work?...as long as it's visible from the cab right? the bumper is on the car but the front plate isn't. i haven't used the car since i posted this becuase i pulled the motor to get it freshend up.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Yes, velcro'd to the visor will work, but keep in mind an officer may not see it at times due to angle, sunlight etc. So, that doesn't mean you will not be stopped. As far as DPS policy we will not issue a citation as long as it visible to the front.

Users who are viewing this thread