The BEST CAI ???

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What's a good CAI for these Foci?
It's an 03 SVT.
I don't want some cheap ass chrome/metal tube that just heats up.
I want something ceramic coated or plastic.

Also what are a few good sites for parts?
I'd like some nice billet interior pieces, among other stuff.

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
Ebay FTW bought mine Red for 104 then got a KandN filter with Outerwear Prefilter for 50. Love the CAI 2nd one also since my first one was doen for.

Good sites our
c-f-m
focussport
newedgeperformance
massive

theres alot of different sites to be honest. Do a google search itll bring up alot

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't you guys understand that a metal CAI does nothing but heat up the air?

Lightningfr, why don't you like the K&N Typhoon? How much you want for it? Any pics?

Lightningfr

Banned
and plastic or ceramic wont heat up the air?
thats y the air is gathered from away from the engine so its at least somewhat cooler then the engine temp.

the typhoon is a short ram its right next to the engine and there is NO heat shield so its gone

stuff03

Established Member
I dont think that most people understand the amount of cfm's that flow into an engine, "cubic ft. of air per minute". If the filter is sucking in cold air, there is no way that in the split second that it takes for the air to travel from the filter to the intake manifold... that it would warm up, even if the intake tube was really hot. The more throttle you give, the faster the air is going to travel to the intake manifold. As far as i'm concerned, if you have a true cold air intake, don't worry what the tubing is made from, the air is not going to hang around in the intake tubing long enough to warm up from the initial temp it was sucked in at. If someone can argue this with prove me wrong... Please do, i'm no expert, it just seems logical when you think about like this, right?

SpeedOften

Established Member
Most metal intakes are coated which reduces the transfer of heat from the engine bay to the air going in the intake.

For those getting ebay CAI's and AEM CAI clones, I really suggest getting a bypass valve so you don't **** up your engine when driving through deep puddles.

An Altenative is you can also modify a Volant intake from the regular zetec to fit where the stock airbox went and use thermal tape to wrap a dryer hose to draw cold air through from the lower grill area. If you can find the end of a Powerstroke Diesel intercooler from a superduty to use as a scoop this will work well too...

5pointHo

Established Member
i have an AEM and i love it. i especially like how it sounds around 3000-4000 rpms. it almost sounds like a turbo spooling up.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Post pics of your CAI setups.
Be sure to state what brand it is.
Also how difficult is it to install? There doesn't seem to be much room under the hood.

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
Ebay With KandN Filter with a Outerwear Prefilter. Install not to long just the radiator support was a pain. But its my second one and I love the thing.

SVT060.jpg

SVT061.jpg

And theres plenty of room especaily after you take the stock air box out.

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
that was when i first got it on Ive put it up some its not that close anymore. its still down there just not right under the lip anymore

5pointHo

Established Member
intake.gif

i dont have one from the bottom view.

i found that if you start from the bottom pipe, and install that one first, its way easier than attaching the upper tube to the throttle body, then attaching the bottom tube to the upper tube. when you do it like that, it doesnt leave room for you to move it where it needs to be. does that make sense? hahaha

mines an AEM btw. i got it off of c-f-m.com

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
its like Deja Vu looking at SVTGrl and My Intake haha.

So you got the CAI from ebay in but not the filter from C-F-M Lighting? Did you order the same time. my intake took like 2 weeks and my filter like 4 days.

Users who are viewing this thread