The best H/C/I setup for 5.0s???

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
I love gt40p's.

I think the heads I dislike the most are AFR's..... After watching them underperform, I am will never ever purchase them, or recommend them. When a company claims XXX cfm ,and you test them....and they make 10-15 less cfm....that is sad.

corysmach1

Established Member
bigger not always better..
gt40p
explorer intake
b303
1.7 rr
65tb.... a friend made 288rwhp trq 327
on a 5 spd

This would be the cheapest setup.....as for drivability a big cam wouldnt bother me yes I would drive it a lot on the street. But if i am going to take my girl out I will just drive my Cobra.

trendkilllx

Established Member
My old set up was AFR 165's, tfs-stg1, and a performer intake. Have a friend that had the tfs kit and he was very happy with it. His car seemed very close in HP to mine. I have read of people pulling good numbers with AFR165's, ported Performer intake and a custom grind cam from FTI. I'm sure you would be happy with any of the combos mentioned.

Last edited:

fast89stang

my combo

I had the AFR 165s and now have the 185s on a stock bottom end with FTI cam......went 7.12 with 165s and the old FTI cam and goes 6.98 with notched pistons and 185s and new fti cam in a 92 coupe with 302 and 4.10 gears, full stock interior. I will never have anything but AFRs as it seems my car has run with several strokers with trick flow and other brands of heads.

blownfox

Established Member
I really like my trick flow kit. It came with everything I needed to finish the swap. I am guessing that it is 350 crank power so you would be 290ish rwhp plus whatever others mods you have. Most people make over 310ish to the ground.

turbogts

Established Member
Yeah, you're right. I'm going to call AFR tomorrow and tell them that they may as well scrap the 165's :poke:

Thanks for the useless post........... I was just looking for someone that has tried both sets and if they gained or lost power.......... :rolleyes:

I had the AFR 165s and now have the 185s on a stock bottom end with FTI cam......went 7.12 with 165s and the old FTI cam and goes 6.98 with notched pistons and 185s and new fti cam in a 92 coupe with 302 and 4.10 gears, full stock interior. I will never have anything but AFRs as it seems my car has run with several strokers with trick flow and other brands of heads.

Thanks for this information, will be very useful to me.
Sounds like a badass setup. :beer:

Last edited:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Thanks for the useless post.

Look who's talking. Why do you think AFR has a 165cc head? You admit that what I said was also claimed by lots of people that you know of and then say that you have no proof..BUT YOU HAVE SEEN ONE FLY WITH 185's THOUGH!!

Yeah, that's much better.

I was just looking for someone that has tried both sets and if they gained or lost power.......... :rolleyes:

Not once did you ask that... Besides, you're not the op :rollseyes

The 165's will provide better velocity on a stock displacement 5L
The 185's will make a better blower head on the same engine.

My point is that it would probably take a rather aggressive N/A setup (aggressive cam timing, high compression, intake, etc) to make more meaningful power. Even then, the majority would be all up top. Great for a track car; not the greatest on a street car. It's not always about overall flow.

Last edited:

turbogts

Established Member
The 165's will provide better velocity on a stock displacement 5L
The 185's will make a better blower head on the same engine.

My point is that it would probably take a rather aggressive N/A setup (aggressive cam timing, high compression, intake, etc) to make more meaningful power. Even then, the majority would be all up top. Great for a track car; not the greatest on a street car. It's not always about overall flow.

Why was this not said in the first place, thanks for the info.

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
the reason for 87-93 being more desireable is the a9l EEC. the 94-95's have a different eec that is not nearly as adaptive to mods as the a9l/a9p's. once you swap out the cam and heads, youre prob going to need a dyno to get it right. bigger heads will need rpm's, which will also have to be tuned around in the eec or youll be stuck with 6300 iirc with the stock rev limiter. ive seen a few people with issues running afr's over the past 6mos, shitty valve guides/ locks and valve failure/dropping. trick flow has a new 190FAC head out which is a decent head, and has room to grow if you decide on a stroker later on. brodix, dart, edelbrock's estreet line are heads to look into, dont waste your money buying anything other than aluminum when it comes to heads otherwise youre just wasting money. you can buy used ones for well under $1000 everyday on most any mustang forum. jay allen, ed curtis, or buddy rawls are all decent places to shop for a cam. look them up on corral.net.

1992 Ford Mustang LX - Mustang 5.0 Magazine

cheaper, and faster....

Last edited:

fast89stang

I have had 2 sets, first set was 165s and they were great and these 185s i have now do just what Ed said they would. I think with more tuning it will go 6.8s......and thats moving for a 121,000 ,mile short block with fesh rings and bearings. But my heads were used, and maybe some of those parts were upgraded at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread