The BOSS is back!!!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Just got my copy of 5.0 Mustang & SF in the mail. Nice article on the 351 V10 BOSS mustang. (They just added two extra cylinders on the 4.6L cobra block to get the extra displacement.) Al heads and block w/ 10:1 comp ratio, T56, 9-inch rear w/ 3.82 gears. Results: 426 hp at 6,500 and 400 ft-lb at 5,200. Quarter mile ... 11.93 @ 117 mph. Woo hoo! :D

Rwick7

Established Member
Is that the same one from like 5 years ago? It was in Car and Driver or something...hmmmm

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
Is that the same one from like 5 years ago? It was in Car and Driver or something...hmmmm

Ya I have that copy of C&D LOL. It was an orange colored Boss competing against a Camaro SS I believe.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
That was in Motor Trend a few months back, if I recall there are no present plans to go to production with this car.

-norcal_cobra

fr03cobra

Established Member
boss

They are suppose to be doing a 5.0 4v making 420 hp. They wanted to take my motor out and replace it with that. Then serialize it and call it a king cobra. I already called them about it.

mosconiac

Established Member
StL is talking about the 10L Boss which is a 1994 Cobra with a Boss 429-based 604ci motor. "The car made 855 horsepower, 790 lb.-ft., and it ran 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 in 5.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile in 10.55 seconds @ 135.05 mph."

The Boss 351 is a 2003 GT with a modular V-10-based 350ci motor. This boss runs 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, 0-100 in 10.3 seconds, and the quarter mile in 12.88 seconds @ 114.4 mph.

All Hail The Real BOSS...
boss9.jpg

Last edited:

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Re: boss

Originally posted by fr03cobra
They are suppose to be doing a 5.0 4v making 420 hp. They wanted to take my motor out and replace it with that. Then serialize it and call it a king cobra. I already called them about it.

Don't fool yourself now, there is only one true King Cobra.....

-norcal_cobra

fr03cobra

Established Member
That is what they told me. So I'm not going to complain. I don't think alot of people would do it so the serial numbers would be low.

Silver10thAConv

Established Member
The Motor Trend article about the V10 Boss351 clearly said this car wouldn't go into production. The engineers where just playing around. I'm wondering if they got too much of a response to ignore.

I saw a post of an article in the Detroit News that had an interview about the demise of SVT. In it John Colletti said the next Lightning would have a 500HP motor similar to the GT, maybe a supercharged Marauder(trickle down from the 03/04 Cobra maybe?), possibly a V10 Mustang, and a Turbo Focus.

I'm not holding my breath for a V10 Mustang but it got my attention when John Colletti said it. The MT article said the engineers where just toying around but casting an aluminum V10 block and 4V heads is some expensive fun.

Just have to wait and see.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
mosconiac - Now that is one sweet lookin' engine!!

Wouldn't you love to have these guys jobs - building these kinds of things?!

larryc7777

Established Member
Now think about this. Whatever happens to all of the "what if" project cars. I bet that the engineers build dozens of these one off vehicles each year. Where do they go? Are they snapped up by lucky factory big shots? Do the engineers spirit them away in the middle of the night? Are they gathering dust in some warehouse? Man, i'd love to look in that warehouse sometime. Remember the scene from "Gone in 60 Seconds" where they break into the warehouse that has all the Ferraris? We could do that.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Most of the concept vehicles are locked away into storage until ford decides to do another house cleaning auction.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I had the opportunity to see this car in person and talk to the engineer myself about the V10. It was Cobra motor with the 5.4 cobra R heads modified of course 1 cyl extra per head lol.

There was quite the story behind its development. I must say the car lights the tires up with ease and like you never seen before. Also love the sound of it.

Last edited:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
AS far as engineers getting them it took a act of god for me to see this by the engineer, they dont get them off the property easy and dont want people to see them. Like this one Bill ford himself had been behind the wheel before it was admitted to exist.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
here is a pic of the interior. The 2 things you see on the dash was used to run 2 ignition systems at once since there was no ready availiable system he could have used. He said its pretty wild to to do that and it will hicup once in a great while. Heck I was suprised it even worked trying to run 2 banks seperate

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Actually, the two units in the car there are just A/F ratio moniters: http://www.ecm-co.com/afrlambda.asp . Im sure they were used in part to run 2 ignition systems, but those arent the systems themselves right there. Id be interested to know if anyone has used one of these moniters before, they seem to be quite expensive, but im sure very accurate.
On a side note, that company also makes A/F gauges in a 2 1/16 size. They look to be the real deal, and not just pretty lights like the autometer units.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread