The cold is coming, is your intercooler ready?

Steve@Tasca

Time once again for my warning about frozen intercoolers for you "warm weather" guys, due to unusually cold temps across the country any of you running plain water or water wetter need to either drain them, find warm storage or get a 50/50 antifreeze mix in your systems before you end up with a cracked intercooler.

Happens every time we have these cold snaps.

weather_zps258b8f2d.jpg

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
It was -5 at my house yesterday. Don't you dare tell me the cold is coming... I KNOW IT AL-DAMN-READY!!!:cryying:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Thanks Steve!! Excellent reminder. I drained the water out of my intercooler system on Monday and replaced with a nice anti freeze mix.....

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I remember with my HEMI I welcomed the cold as I swear that motor felt 20% more powerful when it was winter, just vroom vroom! This will be a first with the Shelby. Do people really just run straight water in their coolant tanks\inter cooler in the hotter months?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
25F air is like free nitrous. 75 in California, but those high taxes, traffic, and Smog Cops, are a bigger turn off.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
25F air is like free nitrous. 75 in California, but those high taxes, traffic, and Smog Cops, are a bigger turn off.
CA isnt that bad if you find the right metro area re taxes and traffic. Smog is a pain, but its every two years and CARB is allowing the OBD2 check for newer cars instead of running on the barrels.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Im in florida so its not a huge worry. But do you pour the mix in or mix it with water?

You can purchase 50/50 premix which you can just pour in, or you can purchase concentrate which you would have to mix with water to achieve your desired coolant/water ratio. There is usually a chart on the back of the anti-freeze container that will assist you to achieve desired protection for your operating climate.

Users who are viewing this thread