Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
heah heah yeah wait till we ride in each others cars Jon, you'll see. there a little noisey back there. of course i dont have a back seat, just the delete panel-which isnt as thick(noise supressing) as the seats obviously.:thumbsup:
oh great... one more freakin noise!!! hehe, well I was thinking I would like to sit in your car as you pull into my driveway, that would be a great test to hear how the springs react, of course with my vert it will act a bit different.

you know Bryan you could put your stock Iso's back in or perhaps the MM Iso's and you would raise your car up a bit and you may be even happier, but again the coils would still be cut...

Last edited:

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
87whitevert said:
, but again the coils would still be cut...

thats just it...it bothers the hell out of me:kaboom:
i kinda wonder if there not at least partly the reason the cars so skatey, jiddery.

SVTPaul

Established Member
need lowering spring advice

I just bought an 04 Coupe. According to the previous owner it has H&R SS springs. The stance looks awesome, but the car just sits way too low for the roads around here. Even going in and out of my driveway requires a lot of care. I have MM subframe connectors as well so ground clearance is definitely an issue. With 315's on 17x10.5 wheels out back, I find myself scraping the exhaust driving down main roads and scuffing the back tires on the fender well lips. These springs also feel way too soft for how low they are. They gotta go. I may put a stock set back in but I want something that offers at least a mild lowering. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to lowering my Cobra the right amount? I'm not even driving this car until I get the right springs in there (I don't want ANY scraping). How about Eibach? Or maybe the Steeda or Ford Racing? Is there anywhere that I can view a summary of the amount of drop each brand offers and the spring rates?

Last edited:

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
SVTPaul said:
I just bought an 04 Coupe. According to the previous owner it has H&R SS springs. The stance looks awesome, but the car just sits way too low for the roads around here. Even going in and out of my driveway requires a lot of care. I have MM subframe connectors as well so ground clearance is definitely an issue. With 315's on 17x10.5 wheels out back, I find myself scraping the exhaust driving down main roads and scuffing the back tires on the fender well lips. These springs also feel way too soft for how low they are. They gotta go. I may put a stock set back in but I want something that offers at least a mild lowering. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to lowering my Cobra the right amount? I'm not even driving this car until I get the right springs in there (I don't want ANY scraping). How about Eibach? Or maybe the Steeda or Ford Racing? Is there anywhere that I can view a summary of the amount of drop each brand offers and the spring rates?

I think the Race springs would be perfect on a Coupe. With stock isolators your car will only be lowered a little bit...still look good, but nothing crazy. With urethane isolators it will barely look any different at all. Mine will be for sale soon. (they're too hard for the 'vert)

SVTPaul

Established Member
Thanks for the posting these pics...very useful! I was leaning toward the H&R Race springs but it looks like they sit about the same as stock. Did they settle any since these pics were taken? And has everyone's experience with the Race springs been the same as this? But for me, I don't want a drop that's too aggressive due to poor road conditions where I live (see my above post in this thread). thx

kirks5oh said:
here is my car stock, and after H&R race springs. i left all the stock iso's in place and must admit i'm kind of disappointed, as i thought the drop would be just a bit more. the car drives like a dream, and hopefully i won't need caster/camber plates when i take it to get it aligned.

before
s3500029jx0.jpg

s3500047tg2.jpg

s3500055gk2.jpg

SVTPaul

Established Member
JPIStang said:
I think the Race springs would be perfect on a Coupe. With stock isolators your car will only be lowered a little bit...still look good, but nothing crazy. With urethane isolators it will barely look any different at all. Mine will be for sale soon. (they're too hard for the 'vert)

Yea I may go with the Race springs. I need to make up my mind soon and get a set of something ordered! I just don't know what. I guess I'll have a set of H&R SS's for sale once I find suitable replacements.

Last edited:

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
SVTPaul said:
Thanks for the posting these pics...very useful! I was leaning toward the H&R Race springs but it looks like they sit about the same as stock. Did they settle any since these pics were taken? And has everyone's experience with the Race springs been the same as this? But for me, I don't want a drop that's too aggressive due to poor road conditions where I live (see my above post in this thread). thx

Did you look at my pics? http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898504&postcount=194

That's with stock lower isolator up front and urethane lower isolator out back. With stock isolators up front it would be just a tad higher....nice drop without being overkill.

They took about three weeks to fully settle.

ib_604

Established Member
JPIStang said:
Did you look at my pics? http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898504&postcount=194

That's with stock lower isolator up front and urethane lower isolator out back. With stock isolators up front it would be just a tad higher....nice drop without being overkill.

hey JPIStang,
how is the car riding now with the Race springs? is it still really rough? I am torn between the H&R Race or the Sport. I just had MM full length subs welded in.

have you changed your shocks/struts?
thanks for the help!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Hey, I've still got stock shocks/struts. While I do notice the rear being underdamped, my real complaint is just how hard the ride is. Actually that's not really it, my complaint is that I think they're so hard that they're contributing to cowl shake, even though I have MM full length subs and a MM Strut Tower Brace. I would not recommend the Race springs to anyone with a 'vert.

ib_604

Established Member
JPIStang said:
Hey, I've still got stock shocks/struts. While I do notice the rear being underdamped, my real complaint is just how hard the ride is. Actually that's not really it, my complaint is that I think they're so hard that they're contributing to cowl shake, even though I have MM full length subs and a MM Strut Tower Brace. I would not recommend the Race springs to anyone with a 'vert.

thanks for the info...its confusing cause some people were saying it rides so nicley, better then stock even...so its good to hear your feedback...but i guess if i consider maybe upgrading to koni yellow dampening adjustable shocks, that would do the trick?
but if not, then maybe the Sport ones are the way to go...thanks!

SVTPaul

Established Member
JPIStang said:

Yes that looks like the drop I'm looking for, very nice. The only thing is that I don't want to remove any isolators and I don't want too harsh of a ride or any underdamping. I was also considering the Steeda Sports. From what I've seen they don't look like too much of a drop. Can anyone chime in with what they ride like? Hmmm this is turning out to be a tough decision. EDIT: Also, I was just on H&R's website and they claim a drop of 1.6" front and 1.5" rear for both the Sport and Race springs. WTF? That seems quite different from what people have gotten on here. My car has Sports and it has much more drop than that! I guess the previous owner must have had the isos removed. I'll find out this weekend.

Last edited:

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
ib_604 said:
thanks for the info...its confusing cause some people were saying it rides so nicley, better then stock even...so its good to hear your feedback...but i guess if i consider maybe upgrading to koni yellow dampening adjustable shocks, that would do the trick?
but if not, then maybe the Sport ones are the way to go...thanks!

I think that a high rate coil spring is just a bad choice for the vert...regardless of the strut. Coilovers tend to have a better ride so if you want to lower it whatever amount you wish and still have a really good ride you may want to consider that. It's just not in my budget.

ib_604

Established Member
JPIStang said:
I think that a high rate coil spring is just a bad choice for the vert...regardless of the strut. Coilovers tend to have a better ride so if you want to lower it whatever amount you wish and still have a really good ride you may want to consider that. It's just not in my budget.

yea no doubt, i talked to a guy at Maximum Motorsports, and he told me the same thing. go fo coil's but i dont want to spend over $2000 on suspension, cause i know i wont get my moneys worh out of it, i will never raise/lower it once its set...haha but its the same for me, out of my budget...springs are much cheaper...

So yea I think i will go for the Sports, hopefully i wont bottom out every5 minutes...

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
ib_604 said:
thanks!

sorry, but a newbie question....what do urethane isolators do?

They deflect about 80% less than the stock rubber ones. They go on the top and bottom of the spring between the perch and spring on one side and the control or "A" arm on the other side. Stop noise mostly.

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member

SVTPaul

Established Member
Your car looks pretty low for having the Race springs from what I've seen and read so far. Although those pics are kinda small. Do you have isolators in there?

Damascus Cobra said:
MY CONVERTIBLE IS FOR SALE - $31,900:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...engine=&body_style=CONVERT&doors=&fuel=&lang=

I just drove to Annapolis and back last Sunday with 4 in the car... about 3 hours in the convertible. I never even thought about the ride relating to comfort. The ride is perfect IMO and the handling is right on. have the H&R Race on my 'vert and have zero complaints.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
SVTPaul said:

my car settled 1/4". so not very much. if i ever get the notion to do so, i will remove one of the stock iso's from the front and rear, for just a bit more of a drop. the car handles much better now. on the bright side, i shouldn't need caster/camber plates, because the car is only about 1/2" lower.

i'd go with the race springs if i were you.

SVTPaul

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
my car settled 1/4". so not very much. if i ever get the notion to do so, i will remove one of the stock iso's from the front and rear, for just a bit more of a drop. the car handles much better now. on the bright side, i shouldn't need caster/camber plates, because the car is only about 1/2" lower.

i'd go with the race springs if i were you.

So a 1/2" drop is what I'm looking at with the Race springs hey? I guess the claimed drop of 1.6" front and 1.5" rear on the H&R site is not accurate then? Thanks for your input! Leaning even more towards the Race springs now. Do you have stock shocks in yours? How's the damping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread