the end of my cobra? help bad noises

cobra101

Established Member
Well after 10 years I may have to sell it..arghh.

I heard a knock tick metal slap from motor area on a hot day. Temp gauge was 34 in normal range. The noise was very concerning...Water and oil levels are good.

After it was off and cooled down, it started and did not make the noise ( I haven't driven it though). But when I turn it off it makes a weird electrical type lopping noise.

Any ideas?

I'm going to start it and test it/drive it to a dealer and end the 10 year run...

I could have it towed to local ford as an option but very worried if it bad and then no trade in value at that dealership.

Thanks for any ideas to troubleshoot this.

mach1033

Established Member
Also why don't you have someone trouble shoot the issue? What if its only a 500 dollar fix you know what I mean?

cobra101

Established Member
I will post if sold. I will most likely have it towed first..

For troubleshooting..... I started it today and no noise from engine at all.

About 5 miles in it started knocking and singing.. with the
cadence of rpms . No fluids under car but Im pretty sure i
smell radiator fluid. When cars turns off I hear a fan like spin down but
noisey.

Maybe blower oil? Heater core but no leak?

Thanks for any help...

mach1033

Established Member
If your lucky it could be just a TOB or that knock could be bearings. You would need to have a compression test done.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
My guess IMO. Valve seat sounds like its loose. I had same problem. When cold did great #6was 30less then all others if I drove my car under no boost at all I never had a problem. But was my old more was warmed up. Just after 3/4 wot passes it would spit and sputter. When I got home comp. Tested again still 30psi low on #6 .after couple of months stressing. Dimly the car was running like crap.all the time comp tested.again #6 had 0 psi.take motor out exhast rocker jumped off.pulled head off and the seat.was.split and loose.bent valve in it hit the.piston.not.a.cheap fix
Wish you the best of.luck man!

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Quit stressing and just have a competent mechanic check it out...if you can't afford to fix it just post up a copy of the techs anaylsis on here with a for sale ad. Being a car dealer I can almost guarantee you will find a member on here willing to pay more than what you would get trading a broken car in. That being said if you find out its bad and trade it in without disclosure that is no different than stealing in my book.

cobra101

Established Member
Thanks for replies. Yeah.. I was frustrated.. turned out was radiator fan bearings.
Mechanic found part and should be picking up car tomorrow.
Also, I wasn't trading it to dealer to not disclose it, trust me it was obviously noisey. But a dealer would address it to resell it. did not want a private buyer stuck with issues.

250.00 total. 100 labor plus 150 part.

Ps. Pretty sure I'm selling it anyways. Been thinking about. It for awhile...trying a merc e55 Amg . So don't be surprised if
You see my car in for sale section. I'm sure the fact it was the sound of kitt in the knight rider series, 2009 I'm sure I can get at least .50 cents more.

Thanks again..

Last edited:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
E55 you say, my friend has one for sale if you don't mind flying to tn and driving it back. It's an 04 with 103 on it...pretty much stock. Think he would sell it for $16k. Strong car; it outran our friends bolt on 02 911 turbo by a car or two to 150mph.

cobra101

Established Member
How's the condition and how was the reliability while he had it? Was it broken allot or any expensive repairs?

Coming from the cobra just curious on reliability. My cobra was near. Perfect through 80k hard miles.

Thanks for info:)

Users who are viewing this thread