The engine is finally in the car

haskett

Established Member
For what has to be the slowest rebuild in history (I initially blew the motor in March 2010), the slowest engine drop in history was fitting yesterday. It took six hours for my dad and I to get the engine into the car and the mounts bolted down. We fought it for hours before figuring out that we had the passenger exhaust flange in a bind between the bellhousing and the firewall. Duh. Once moved, it dropped in like all of my other engine drops have. I really wish I had the space to pull the motor out of the bottom. For anyone that has the space, I highly recommend doing that rather than pulling out of the top.

DSCF0037.jpg

I'm not going to be able to work on it much in the coming days, but I hope to have it running next week. I'll post updates to this thread to mark progress.

Marvin97

Established Member
I know how you feel man, I fought with my motor for a couple hours before we discovered that the egr tube was hitting the firewall and keeping my driverside motor mount bolt from slipping into the kmember. Took it loose and she fell right in.

jimbob8915

Established Member
Thats a crazy picture :lol I would never try to put a motor an tranny in at the same time anymore. I would put motor in then put tranny in from underneath.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Lookin good! heck if you can do the engine/tranny in one shot why not? Thats what I've done, especially if it's not on a hoist.

haskett

Established Member
Thats a crazy picture :lol I would never try to put a motor an tranny in at the same time anymore. I would put motor in then put tranny in from underneath.

Each person seems to have their preference. I hate trying to stab a tranny when it is teetering on a jack unde a car and I can't get a good handle on it SAFELY. I would much rather slide it onto the engine while on the floor of he garage. To me, dropping the combo at once is easy.

Not to be a downer, but a guy on here died a couple of years ago when the tranny dropped on him while he was installing it under the car. I'm not saying to avoid stabbing the tranny under the ca, but there are times that is the only option, but I just avoid that scenario when I can.

Of course, the ultimate is to drop the engine, tranny, and subframe altogether out of the bottom. :). You just have to have the garage space to 1) slide the combo out sideways an 2) the ability for the car to sit for the duration without bein able to roll it.

Users who are viewing this thread