The HARD TRUTH about EVs

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It’s all a big farce. I own an EV as my DD (Tesla Plaid) it’s cool, fun and fast, but it’s expensive to manufacture and buy, and far from cost efficient like they claim. My electric bill is going through the ****ing roof. Granted a part of it is I haven’t been scheduling my charging at off peak hours, it’s still way up. My electric bill has always been high because I keep my house freezing cold, but now it’s just insane.

This push to force people to use EV is total ****ing bullshit.
ef7e88a1b6fe2d3ca69365908ae94855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, does your homeowners insurance know you have an ev in the garage?

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
So, figure you spent $143 to 'fuel' your Tesla for the month(June compared to July). Assuming your traveling a decent amount of miles each week in the Tesla, roughly $35/week doesn't sound insane to me at all.

How much did it (or would it) cost you to fuel your gas/diesel vehicle to travel the same distance over a month?
Better start saving up for a new battery

kaz109

Established Member
It’s all a big farce. I own an EV as my DD (Tesla Plaid) it’s cool, fun and fast, but it’s expensive to manufacture and buy, and far from cost efficient like they claim. My electric bill is going through the ****ing roof. Granted a part of it is I haven’t been scheduling my charging at off peak hours, it’s still way up. My electric bill has always been high because I keep my house freezing cold, but now it’s just insane.

This push to force people to use EV is total ****ing bullshit.
ef7e88a1b6fe2d3ca69365908ae94855.jpg

I don’t own a EV yet but I had looked into getting a EV6 or Mach E for my son to drive but couldn’t get on in time for Christmas last year so I bought a Civic.

For the reason you just stated I’m looking at trading in his civic for an EV. The civic gets decent mileage but the gas take is so small he gets the same range with a full tank of gas as he would in a EV but the difference it the cost to fill the tank vs the cost to a full charge is why I’m thinking of making the switch

blk02edge

Established Member
I don’t own a EV yet but I had looked into getting a EV6 or Mach E for my son to drive but couldn’t get on in time for Christmas last year so I bought a Civic.

For the reason you just stated I’m looking at trading in his civic for an EV. The civic gets decent mileage but the gas take is so small he gets the same range with a full tank of gas as he would in a EV but the difference it the cost to fill the tank vs the cost to a full charge is why I’m thinking of making the switch
Going to spend an extra 30k to save $500/year? Stonks

phils04gt

Established Member

This push to force people to use EV is total ****ing bullshit. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230708/ef7e88a1b6fe2d3ca69365908ae94855.jpg

I have a plaid as well. My electric bill hasn't increased too much. Pay about 6 cents a KW at night, so a full charge would be 6 bucks from 0-100%, which i never do. Car eats tires which costs about 600 a piece installed at Tesla. Been through 3 in 10 months. More than likely going to get rid of it next year. They track charging and cost on app but not sure how accurate it is. Paid 115k for the car about 10 months ago and now only worth about 83k or so, not good. . FSD is meh. Don't use it much anymore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709_140231_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_140231_Tesla.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 56

kaz109

Established Member
Going to spend an extra 30k to save $500/year? Stonks
Just curious were you got 30k from…. and yes saving that or more plus the convenience of charging while sleep instead of going to a gas station.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Just curious were you got 30k from…. and yes saving that or more plus the convenience of charging while sleep instead of going to a gas station.
Yeah probably a bit high at 30k more. The rest of your statement… holy shit man. What do your other investments look like?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The Chinese EV market is coming apart at the seams.

The China EV boss may mad at Tesla, but Tesla was responding to all the piranha's taking market share.

Brandstatter said that EV startups are under financial strain, with many either having left the market or on the verge of doing so. Consider the ongoing struggles of Lordstown with its Endurance pickup; the Ohio-based company suspended production of the truck earlier this year due to the high cost of producing it as well as quality issues. Its partnership with Foxconn was under strain, and it recently filed for bankruptcy and sued its own partner, reports Reuters.

The VW China boss was also highly critical of recent EV discounts in China. "The fierce competition has led to deep price discounts in recent months," said Brandstatter. "This will ultimately harm the interests of consumers. They will no longer be able to get services from retired brands, or they will see a significant price cut on models they buy." That affects residual values.

It's no secret that these specific comments were leveled at Tesla, since the EV giant spurred on a price war by drastically dropping prices across its lineup at the start of 2023.

kaz109

Established Member
Yeah probably a bit high at 30k more. The rest of your statement… holy shit man. What do your other investments look like?
Well enough that I wouldn’t lose sleep over this decision

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My dad's best friend ordered a Lightning and my dad just told me he backed out of the order and got a Tesla.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
The VW China boss was also highly critical of recent EV discounts in China. "The fierce competition has led to deep price discounts in recent months," said Brandstatter. "This will ultimately harm the interests of consumers. They will no longer be able to get services from retired brands, or they will see a significant price cut on models they buy." That affects residual values.

My new Model Y is over 7K less than the one I purchased in '21, which I'm sure hurt my residual as well, but like I said in my previous post, the Tax Credit will make it a much better deal. Just have to wait until tax time to realize the final 'cost' to trade up.

Have to wait and see how this new one will depreciate. Time will tell.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Nah. My new '23 Model Y is supposed to be here by the end of the month w/ a fresh 4yr/50,000 B2B warranty and 8yr/120,000 Battery warranty.

FJB, but his $7,500 Tax Credit is making it too easy to trade-up.
Well if you start saving now in 8 years you can get a new $50,000 battery for your go cart when the range is barely 50 miles to paperweight.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree…. Continuing to post about the cost of a battery in 10-15yr in every single EV thread is pretty stupid.

Yeah, it's like continuing to warn faggits about the risks of STDs from low life sex and needle sharing. Some faggits won't learn until they suffer.

Last edited:

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
I agree…. Continuing to post about the cost of a battery in 10-15yr in every single EV thread is pretty stupid.
Ha! Looks like I hit a nerve! I’ve been waiting for the “I’m not going to own it in 5 years blah blah” garbage response or any response that takes in account that the battery would be worth more than the vehicle in 5-8 years after ownership. Like who is stupid enough to buy a 5 year old electric car? LOL. Buying this garbage makes zero sense, cost of ownership, time to charge, all the limitations! And they are more expensive! How stupid do you need to be to buy this junk? Kaz, please tell us in your next reply!

Users who are viewing this thread