The Hunt For Red October is now a reality.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Skipping will get you stitches..... Flank speed isn't all that exciting - a little vibration throughout the ship, but it doesn't rattle dishes.. Angles and dangles is fun and is an evolution performed usually after you've been in port for awhile. You check stowage and ensure everything is secure by diving and ascending using up to a 30 degree angle. You just hang on and listen for stuff to crash because items aren't secured properly. For torpedo evasion maneuvers, you're hauling ass anyway (ahead flank cavitate), but any additional noise doesn't help your chance for survival.
Knuckles in the water is fun where you are going full out and lets do a 90 degree turn now then 2 seconds later a counter turn. So going, then a hard right then 2 seconds a hard left. Basically it is a cheap way to throw off a torp that is trying to home in by creating an air pocket and then the water rushing in that void makes a sound that the sub tries to use to mask itself and so lose the tracking torp as it locks onto the knuckle.

Dusten

Established Member
We had fun chasin Ohios too...and yea if they are trying to make time they arent hard to find...they move a lot of water as you know better than us. 688 was way harder to find.

We did a deal in a place with a diesel/electric once and we knew the box...but still couldnt find those assholes till the surfaced and laughed at us.

Im sure seawolf, virginia and so on are stupid silient...never got to track one of them.

Dusten...ever track an Alpha? They were my fav russian boat...wish i coulda seen one lol. I did get to see a victor, oscar Ii, foxtrot and kilo in the flesh lol

I have not.
Akula. Oscar ii. Severodvinsk. Kilo.
As far as Russians go. I've seen cuts of a Yankee. Victor. Alfa. All for training. But nothing live.
I watched the cut of the kirsk. My friends knew that stupid civilian sub sank way before the news reported it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife's first husband was a sub sailor. She said when he first saw The Hunt for Red October, he was surprised at how much stuff was in that movie that was considered "classified". This was back in the 70's, so who knows what they're doing now.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I have not.
Akula. Oscar ii. Severodvinsk. Kilo.
As far as Russians go. I've seen cuts of a Yankee. Victor. Alfa. All for training. But nothing live.
I watched the cut of the kirsk. My friends knew that stupid civilian sub sank way before the news reported it.
I was on watch when kursk went boom and down. My nsa rep and i had the graphs on our desks within a few hrs...it was obvious what happened

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Yeah titanium isnt great for sound insulation lol...but yeah hauled ass
Liquid Lead Bismuth reactors, this was how the Alphas was able to be so small and with a crew of only 47. Bad thing is if the temp ever dropped below 130 C 233 F then the metal would start to solidify and then become nothing but a paper weight as the reactor was just a rock for all intents and purposes. So there is pros and cons to this set up it is more compact and creates far more power over a water cooled high pressure design. But on the down side at least water don't have to ever worry about becoming ice in a water reactor as long as the fuel is still good and functioning.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Liquid Lead Bismuth reactors, this was how the Alphas was able to be so small and with a crew of only 47. Bad thing is if the temp ever dropped below 130 C 233 F then the metal would start to solidify and then become nothing but a paper weight as the reactor was just a rock for all intents and purposes. So there is pros and cons to this set up it is more compact and creates far more power over a water cooled high pressure design. But on the down side at least water don't have to ever worry about becoming ice in a water reactor as long as the fuel is still good and functioning.

Very interesting

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Each sub has a person assigned to monitor noise, used to be an electrician.
They have a book with allowed noise levels / per equipment.
When something exceeds spec, it's noted & generates a repair @ next port call. Besides motors & pumps, the reactor drive motors are sound tested, ( not ships company ), results are recorded & used to be sent to Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory.
( CRDM sound signatures ) Control Rod Drive Mechanism
I worked on several sub tenders during my career, work center 92A ( sound analysis, noise & vibration reduction ). This usually an electrician billet, but an unusual set of events got me in to this gig in 1974 on the USS L.Y. Spear ( AS-36 ).
Equally unusual, as I transferred from ship to ship, I kept getting assigned to 92A, as the skill set was few & far between. ( AS-33 )( AS-34 )( AS-31 )(AS-19)..
I collect and analyze vibration data on rotating equipment at the plant. I bet that would be pretty interesting to do on a boat/sub.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
That guy on YouTube that does the animations of famous MIL operations (the Situation Room iirc) did a video on Hunt for Red October as an April fools joke last year or the year before

01yellercobra

Established Member
I collect and analyze vibration data on rotating equipment at the plant. I bet that would be pretty interesting to do on a boat/sub.
I'm starting a new project for work that is writing the calibration procedure for accelerometers. One of the experts I'm going to be using for help used to take vibration samples on hulls of newly built and refurbished ships.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Knuckles in the water is fun where you are going full out and lets do a 90 degree turn now then 2 seconds later a counter turn. So going, then a hard right then 2 seconds a hard left. Basically it is a cheap way to throw off a torp that is trying to home in by creating an air pocket and then the water rushing in that void makes a sound that the sub tries to use to mask itself and so lose the tracking torp as it locks onto the knuckle.
Submarines have a very different approach for torpedo evasion. Order up all ahead flank (usually followed by the word "cavitate") Noisy, but if the bad guy already had a mediocre firing solution, you're more concerned with outrunning a torpedo, and surviving vice sticking around and developing a firing solution on the guy who just shot at you. You'll also likely change depth, and launch countermeasures to deceive the incoming torpedo.

When I was aboard my second boat, we participated in a TORPEX where we tested Mk50 torpedoes. These are small and launched from ASW airborne platforms. Our ship was free to do everything needed to avoid. These torpedos homed-in and impacted us greater than 80% of the time. Obviously there was no warhead, but they're designed to just take a boat out of the fight by punching a hole in the hull, so a boat would be forced to slow and come shallow.

Users who are viewing this thread