The last remaining S197 GT500 IRS unit

jes_csx

Established Member
I was supposed to get this piece 12+ years ago. I posted about it on this forum, and then the deal feel through. It has sat in storage until I was recently contacted about it again, so I jumped on it.
This is the only known remaining prototype S197 GT500 IRS unit. 10 cars were built, and they performed very well, but the bean counters killed the IRS as being prohibitively expensive. 9 were destroyed, and one made it out into the wild. The hand painted GT500 part number is pretty cool. It would be great to more info from engineers who worked on the project. I own a 2019 PP2, so I dont have a S197 to use it in... but it was hard to pass up such a unique piece as someone in the Shelby/Mustang business.

EDIT: apparently is extremely likely there are 2 more of these out in the wild.

Attachments

• F74DB7FF-02DE-42E6-B925-93384BAA83FC_1_105_c.jpeg
    F74DB7FF-02DE-42E6-B925-93384BAA83FC_1_105_c.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

jes_csx

Established Member
I jumped on it because it was really cool and in danger of disappearing into obscurity. I'm open to selling it, but its not an easy piece to price. PM or email me if you want to discuss.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now that is pretty cool. Last one! Certainly a neat piece of Ford history.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I jumped on it because it was really cool and in danger of disappearing into obscurity. I'm open to selling it, but its not an easy piece to price. PM or email me if you want to discuss.

I just want to see it preserved. Just don't let it get scrapped.

I'd make a case and make it my coffee table.

That's exactly what I'd do with it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
In 2013, Dean Martin told me he purchased two of the prototype S197 IRS units from Ford and then sold them to John Vermeersch. Is this one of those?

Dean also told me he was tasked with driving an S197 prototype with the IRS (he was a vehicle dynamics engineer with SVT at the time, IIRC). He told me his drive was short whereby he returned to the garage and handed the keys back, commenting that the car was good to go.

My post on the matter from 10 years ago...

jes_csx

Established Member
In 2013, Dean Martin told me he purchased two of the prototype S197 IRS units from Ford and then sold them to John Vermeersch. Is this one of those?

Dean also told me he was tasked with driving an S197 prototype with the IRS (he was a vehicle dynamics engineer with SVT at the time, IIRC). He told me his drive was short whereby he returned to the garage and handed the keys back, commenting that the car was good to go.

I do not believe this belonged to John at any point. It came to me from a long time Ford (corporate) parts guy and Shelby enthusiast. Sounds like there are at least 2 more out there. Thanks for the additional info. I have a long thread to read now!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I messaged Total Performance. Any S197 prototype IRS assemblies they had are long gone.

einehund

Established Member

Alot of comments against the IRS in there didn't age well! Hindsight is a mofo!

Poisonous West

Established Member

This IRS set-up is not going to be cheap.

I wonder how much custom work requires to get this IRS set-up install on the S197 body.

Users who are viewing this thread