The more I drive it, the more torque it makes

Avispa

Established Member
Been 2 years since a full head cleanup put the beast back in shape. Now Im stumped. Lately its been breaking the tires loose at light part throttle in 2nd and even 3rd ( rolling at 50 mph!). Thought the traction loc might be going out but there are two nice, clean, even rear tire marks in my driveway, so that's not it. Nitto 555 315/35/17s on the back. Its getting really hard to drive it on the street. Last dyno run was 4 yrs ago and it did 525 tq from 2500 to 6300, flat as a pancake. Any ideas? If the tires are the likely culprit I'll junk em in a heartbeat. Otherwise I have no idea where all the new torque is coming from.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the tires are also 2 years old that's more than likely your issue. I know when my old 555R's got old I could spin them at 60. And I'm not making a ton of power.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Get some good, sticky DR's on the back of that car. At your Hp/Tq range, you may spin them a little bit but they'll hook right up. On a hot day, they'll dead hook.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Those tires suck. I would spin those once in awhile in second gear when I made 455/479.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Definitely the tires.....especially considering the density altitude in Houston about now is near +3000 feet. This extra tire shredding TQ would make sense around January

txrunner

Established Member
Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but I see a few folks on here from around the Houston area. Anyone ever want to meet up for some coffee / chat? I'm in Sugar Land & work in the Galleria area

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Are the tires Nitto 555 or Nitto 555r? The regular 555 tires are not really a good pick for these cars, especially with a twin screw. Plenty of people curse the 555r but I would barely spin in first gear with a set that was 5 years old. Once they went almost completely bald that was a slightly different story. But still never had an issue after half way through second.
I am having them replaced today with another set of brand new 555r, so I will check back once I have drove the car with them.

speedoflife

Established Member
I've driven on the old NT555's. I bet they are your traction culprit.

They. Are. Terrible.

They have the new NT555 G2 tires. I don't know how those are - there is relatively little information on them and I haven't seen them in person.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've driven on the old NT555's. I bet they are your traction culprit.

They. Are. Terrible.

They have the new NT555 G2 tires. I don't know how those are - there is relatively little information on them and I haven't seen them in person.

If you haven't installed them yet take them back and get something else. I have the G2's. They're decent, but they don't hook for anything. I have them on the wife's 06 on an 18x10 rim and they grab fine. I have 315/35/17's and I spin first, second, and sometimes a little bit of third. I'm at the point where I'm just going to burn them down and go back to 555R's.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I'm surprised no one has suggested the nittro nt05 been thru three sets, as with all tires not so good in rain when wore down it till then a great tire

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I'm running Toyo R888's, and I have no issues, but I'm only making 467hp/470tq. When I bought the car, it had Nitto 555r's, but they were worn down, and it would spin every now and then if I wasn't careful. Sounds like you just need to get a new set of tires.

Nice looking car by the way. I think I've seen your car before too out on the streets in town. I'm also in the Rosenberg/Richmond area. I think that makes like 4 03-04 Cobras I've seen not too far from me in the last couple of years I've owned this car, and most of them have been convertibles.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I'm running Toyo R888's, and I have no issues, but I'm only making 467hp/470tq. When I bought the car, it had Nitto 555r's, but they were worn down, and it would spin every now and then if I wasn't careful. Sounds like you just need to get a new set of tires.

Nice looking car by the way. I think I've seen your car before too out on the streets in town. I'm also in the Rosenberg/Richmond area. I think that makes like 4 03-04 Cobras I've seen not too far from me in the last couple of years I've owned this car, and most of them have been convertibles.

What are your supporting mods, just got similar numbers just reversed you can pm just so we don't hyjack this thread

Avispa

Established Member
They're plain NT555s. New back tires it is, then. Thanks, guys.

FWIW, I did have NT555 drag radials on it until last year. Tire store told me to wait two weeks before stomping the gas or they'd rotate on the wheels. They were right....lol.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Step up to Mickey Thompson or a Hoosier. Then you'll start complaining your clutch is starting to smell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
They're plain NT555s. New back tires it is, then. Thanks, guys.

FWIW, I did have NT555 drag radials on it until last year. Tire store told me to wait two weeks before stomping the gas or they'd rotate on the wheels. They were right....lol.

Did you mark the rim to check? I've never had that happen. But then the lowest pressure I've gone is 15psi at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread