The R is one helluva track car!!!! :))

Andy M

Established Member
Folks.

I went to TWS in College Station TX today and ran the R real hard. All I have to say is, " What a machine"!!!

I had just installed my new Steeda (inch and 3/8) front sway bar and also ran my new BFG Competition RA1 tires and man did the car handle like a dream! :D Once the tires got hot and sticky, it was just glued to the track!!

Many thanks to Joe Johnson for coming along for the fun. Joe met me at my home this morning at 6am and we proceeded to go in my Nissan Frontier to pick up the R, which lives in a nearby secure storage facility. We put all of my tools, track rims + tires, and other stuff in my p/u and Joe drove it to TWS while I drove the R on my street tires. TWS is about a one hour drive from my home.

We arrived around 7:45 and spent a few minutes swapping the street tires for the new RA1's then had some catered breakfast with the Momentum group. We were a very small group, maybe only about 10-12 cars total. We had the entire track to ourselves for most of the day. There were a handful of new E46 M3s, one Porsche TT, one Porsche Carrera 4, a couple of Porsche Boxsters, and my R.

I can't wait to get my new diesel truck and trailer so I can start doing this more often. Did I mention yet how much fun I had today??!!! ;-)

I started the day doing 2 minute 22 second laps and desperately needed some good instruction. Joe rode with me in the car and even drove it early on so I could see how a more seasoned veteran handled it. Then I drove for several laps before we came in for a break. By the last session just before lunch, I had whittled lap times considerably down to about 2:14, with my best session coming after lunch -- 2:12. Not bad for a relative novice, as this is only my second time on a track with the R, or any other car for that matter. Additionally, the guy there in a new Porsche Twin Turbo was only running 2:09 and he was veteran driver at TWS.

Bottom line, I would like to thank my good friend Joe Johnson for coming along and helping me today. I learned alot today, and I pushed my car much harder than I had ever done before.

This car just ROCKS - plain and simple.

And for you guys who don't track your R - you don't know what you are missing out on?!!! Get the bloody thing on a track as soon as possible??!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M

This car just ROCKS - plain and simple.

And for you guys who don't track your R - you don't know what you are missing out on?!!! Get the bloody thing on a track as soon as possible??!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by BRIMSTONE
Awesome! I love the feeling after a good day at the track, I wish I could go home and give my car a big fat steak!!

Mike
Mike,

Great idea!!! I think I'll do that today, just after I give her a bath! ;-) Man, she got dirty yesterday. But, boy did we have some fun?!! The car performed flawlessly. It was really sticking down well. The new Steeda front sway bar makes a huge difference in handling. The car understeers slightly now, but just enough to keep you out of trouble. Man, you can take the car farther to the edge now without fear of losing the rear on the curve. It was just awesome! I had several guys come over to heap some praise on the car whenever we would come into the paddock area for a break.

Joe ended up getting quite a bit of seat time also. He is a very good driver and was a GREAT instructor. We used his nifty little intercom radio so we could hear each other inside the car.

By the way, in case some of you are looking for a good way to protect your car when you go to the track? Go to Home Depot or your favorite hardware store and pick up some blue painters masking tape. I used this stuff to cover up my front headlight lenses, the edges of the fenders, the fake loover flank on the sides just before the rear wheels, etc... to keep the rock chips and road debris from scratching up the car, and it worked GREAT! I had seen the Porsche guys doing this last time I went to the track and it works wonderfully. It keeps the car from getting scarred up, so it doesn't age the paint so quick. Joe says it is too late for his R, and that the paint chips give his car "character"! ;-)

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
COOL!!!! I'm waiting for Englishtown to get their road course done....its only a little over an hour drive from me....

Regarding the larger sway bar, its funny, I was lying under the car (thats right, cold concrete floor, no lift....yet.... :rollseyes ) last night while finishing the bassani install, and I was noticing how whimpy the stock sway bar looked....I know when I added a larger one to my 68 mustang, it made a world of difference....good to know they have one available for our cars....

kevin

andy, glad to hear you and joe have really hooked up. joe's a great guy and i miss seeing him more often (i'll see him in atlanta in april tho). you can learn a lot from joe. it's even more fun when you and he get on the track with BOTH of your cars and take turns following each other.

i haven't done the front sway bar yet. joe and i talked about it the other day, but i've been gone the past month and had my plate full already on the r.

hope to see you again sometime on the track. maybe you come to the r meet at road america later this year. also, joe's and i are going to the mam meet in october.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
andy, glad to hear you and joe have really hooked up. joe's a great guy and i miss seeing him more often (i'll see him in atlanta in april tho). you can learn a lot from joe. it's even more fun when you and he get on the track with BOTH of your cars and take turns following each other.

i haven't done the front sway bar yet. joe and i talked about it the other day, but i've been gone the past month and had my plate full already on the r.

hope to see you again sometime on the track. maybe you come to the r meet at road america later this year. also, joe's and i are going to the mam meet in october.
Kevin,

The new Steeda front sway bar is AWESOME!!! It makes the car stick much better in the turns and it seems to hold the high speed on the straights much better, making the car more stable. I was getting 140 on the front straight coming into turn number one at TWS and the car felt perfectly stable, even at 120+ in the transition coming into the turn.

I highly recommend it!!

kevin

Kevin,

The new Steeda front sway bar is AWESOME!!! It makes the car stick much better in the turns and it seems to hold the high speed on the straights much better, making the car more stable. I was getting 140 on the front straight coming into turn number one at TWS and the car felt perfectly stable, even at 120+ in the transition coming into the turn.

I highly recommend it!!

do they have only one? is there a product number? thanks

did you get my email i sent you from this site?

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin

do they have only one? is there a product number? thanks

did you get my email i sent you from this site?
Kevin, I don't have the part number handy, but just call Steeda and ask for the biggest sway bar for the Mustang... I think it is 1-3/8" thick? Tell whoever you talk to over there to look up either my order or Joe's order and they can find the correct part number that way.

I did get your email and just replied. Pls reply back with your home phone and a time for me to call you?...

kevin

Kevin, I don't have the part number handy, but just call Steeda and ask for the biggest sway bar for the Mustang... I think it is 1-3/8" thick? Tell whoever you talk to over there to look up either my order or Joe's order and they can find the correct part number that way.

I did get your email and just replied. Pls reply back with your home phone and a time for me to call you?...

just did

Users who are viewing this thread