The Random Boating Pics/Vids Thread

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I know your reasons but there is slot to be said for maintenance and knowing how to care for one. Any boat can be ruined no matter what it’s made of with out knowledge of its construction and proper care.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yep, I just don't like having a material that will rot when exposed to water as a structural component. That's especially true considering the state of modern foams and composites that can be used.

coposrv

Established Member
Yep, I just don't like having a material that will rot when exposed to water as a structural component. That's especially true considering the state of modern foams and composites that can be used.

That’s my biggest gripe with some “boat builders”. Using cheap crap lumber and polyester resin with penetrations for outfitting the boat not properly done. A boat made with proper boat lumber and epoxy resin will outlast an owner. My cousins sloop was originally built in the 30’s and when we were refitting it you could smell the cedar after drilling a hole.

CSG

Established Member

coposrv

Established Member
Image1528226696.423895.jpg

Jim smith was a pilot, boat racer, captain, boat builder and innovator. He retired to Stuart, Florida I believe and started building his own boats. They were incredibly strong and very light weight being jig built cold-molded. He originally intended to build a boat for himself and charter out from behind his house. However, once people started to see how fast his boats were, even with comparable horsepower his boats never stayed with him very long. Owners would be quick to offer whatever money it took to buy the boat and that’s how Jim smith started his boat business. Several of the boats he built were commissioned by Dick Moroso and they were all named the speed merchant. That boat at 50’+ was twice as fast as anything else comparable on the water. Jim’s legend lives on with tribute boat works, a company started by a long time Jim smith employee.

“Fuel consumption of the MTU 12V183 engines at wide open throttle is a mere 57.7 gallons per hour and at 1900 RPM, they each burn 27 gallons per hour. Dick Moroso's Speed Merchant IV is projected to top 54 MPH and cruise at 40 MPH. Impressively, the fuel consumptions at these speeds fell comfortably within Dick's desired range."

compare this to Jarrett Bays new 70' which has two 2800 HP engines fuel burn is 200 gallons per hour and a slower boat. This boat requires 3X times the Horse Power of the Tribute boat.
Liquid Asset.

Jim smith was decades ahead of his time.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Whenever we go out in de boat, we always make a stop at the local watering hole/island. It's not too big, maybe 1/4 mile long (if that). Lots of olddd oaks that have been thru more storms than Jesus, and has a pretty snazzy view.

Wolf.jpg

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
U.S. Third Fleet aircraft carriers at anchor in Ulithi Atoll, 8 December 1944, during a break from operations in the Philippines area. The carriers are (from front to back): USS Wasp (CV-1, USS Yorktown (CV-10), USS Hornet (CV-12), USS Hancock (CV-19) and USS Ticonderoga (CV-14). Wasp, Yorktown and Ticonderoga are all painted in camouflage Measure 33, Design 10a. The other Essex-class carrier painted in sea blue Measure 21 is USS Lexington (CV-16).
Ulithi Atoll

View attachment 1474851

In that picture you can really see how that pain camouflage works. Cool stuff.

joshcarp81

Established Member
You can take a day trip there from Key West on a sea plane or fast cat.

The wife and I took a day trip there a few years back. It's worth doing the tour and even exploring some yourself. We were suppose to do the seaplane rides out but something happened with scheduling and they had to cancel all trips out on the one plane which happened to be us. I had a blast getting sunburnt while snorkeling while the wife laid out on the beach.
Saw a big ol barracuda while swimming. Awesome place!

Users who are viewing this thread