The RX8 that thought he COULD!

Pyro

Established Member
Not really a race but funny nonetheless.

I was at a stop light about 3+ blocks before two lanes merged into one. I was in the front with a minivan to my right then a black RX8 pulls up behind me. The driver was a mid 30's guy with sun glasses on and collar up...the whole "I'm cool and I'm gonna pick up on teenage girls" look. I knew for sure that he was gonna do a ricer fly by as soon as the minivan dropped back. Sure enough as I took off at moderate speed, the minivan dropped back and Mr. Cool immediately made a move to overtake me. As he came up to my hind quarter, I heard my 8 year old daughter say, "dad, this nerd is trying to race you, you better make the car whistle again." Who am I to dissappoint my little girl so I just tapped the gas for a few seconds to close the door on the "nerd" all the while, never exceeding 60 mph. I guess he got the picture since he backed WAY off after seeing a 20-60 blast in less than the blink of an eye.

The best part was that the daughter knew the drill and was sharp enough to know a "nerd" when she saw one. I was rewarded with a "Nice job dad!"

Guess who will be driving the Cobra whan she turns 16. :eek:

2814v

Established Member
Talk about taking a knife to a gun fight. RX8 have zero low end TQ. They are a lot like the SVTF, great at speed and in the corners. But are pretty worthless at a stop light.
Got my wife a new Mazda MPV minnivan last night and checked out a RX8 that was on thier lot. It was pretty nice, surprised by the room in the cabin, very comfy. But no match for a cobra and a modded one at that.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I remember one guy a while back had just bought an RX-8, still had dealer tags. He lined up next to me, I slowed down to about 25mph. Revved, he punched, I punched, I put about 8 cars on him in a matter of a few seconds. When I slowed down and he caught up, he motioned me to pull off to talk. I did, he said "It's not ready to race yet." I just wanted to be like "Then why the hell start something?" Best thing was is that he had his 15-16 year old kid with him. Sucks watching your dad get molested by a 19 year old in a 17 year old car that cost less than a 1/4 of what his dads did.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I remember one guy a while back had just bought an RX-8, still had dealer tags. He lined up next to me, I slowed down to about 25mph. Revved, he punched, I punched, I put about 8 cars on him in a matter of a few seconds. When I slowed down and he caught up, he motioned me to pull off to talk. I did, he said "It's not ready to race yet." I just wanted to be like "Then why the hell start something?" Best thing was is that he had his 15-16 year old kid with him. Sucks watching your dad get molested by a 19 year old in a 17 year old car that cost less than a 1/4 of what his dads did.

BAWAWAWA!!!! :-D

bchisom99

Established Member
"Sucks watching your dad get molested by a 19 year old in a 17 year old car that cost less than a 1/4 of what his dads did. "

That it a great quote...

I think most of the people around here w/ RX-8's know that they are slow and I havn't even gotten to play w/ one yet...been wanting to wax one.

IE Evo

Established Member
Daughter in training is priceless. Great kill and write up.It is funny how people think that their 15 sec cars are quick until they line up against a real monster. Reality sucks but hey there is always someone faster to make me realize that my car is not all that quick.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
roflmao. your little girl is awesome!! reminds me of a buddy of mine's son, he's like 4 or 5...and he counts off races. Ask him "what do you do out the window?" "ONE TOO TREE!!"

"what makes cars go fast?" "ALL BOTTLE NO TWATTLE"

lol

good kill :-D

spinscan

Established Member
My daughter bought one and it is not fast at all. My wife's Lexus would wax it. I tried to talk her into getting an Evo or Sti but she had to get the RX8. Not a bad little car though.

SVTCOUPLE

Established Member
Chick in a G-35 tried the same thing with me, pisses me off every day some prick does the same thing at the same intersection and everyone has to brake to avoid them.

94RX-7

Established Member
I love it. Train them young:thumbsup:
As for the RX8... I don't even think they should have RX in their name. :nonono: :nono:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
"I heard my 8 year old daughter say, "dad, this nerd is trying to race you, you better make the car whistle again." Who am I to dissappoint my little girl so I just tapped the gas for a few seconds to close the door on the "nerd" all the while, never exceeding 60 mph."

O-W-N-E-D

lmao, the daughters are owning this week on SVTP!

Last edited:

charles6

Established Member
One of my buddies had one w/the 6speed, I was descently impressed. It was one of the funnest cars I have driven. Put the tc off it was a blast, but I haven't driven a cobra either. It was really quick when your holding about 6krpms and nail it, but below 5 and it feels about like my 4.2l f150

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
awesome pyro. your daughter is gonna be lucky :). if i may ask what road was this on? becuase i know the RPD have been cutting down on any type of "sideshow" ;)
btw, if you see a True Blue '01 Cobra, that may be me. :)

/hijack
edit: i kinda had the same thing happen. i was getting to 395S from Lemmon and this sentra flys by me after the light, so i figure lets kill my first rice (easy target i know, im still getting my shifting down) so, i catch up to him just as me make the turn on to the on-ramp, which is 2 lanes going to one in about 80-90FT so, just as im done turning, i floor it(im in the inside lane) in 2nd, and shift to 3rd, i hear his engine get loud, so i know hes on it, but i fly by him in about a second, i slow down after i merge onto the highway, and he never caught up after me.
/hijack off

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by LTHLBLU
awesome pyro. your daughter is gonna be lucky :). if i may ask what road was this on? becuase i know the RPD have been cutting down on any type of "sideshow" ;)
btw, if you see a True Blue '01 Cobra, that may be me. :)

Hey neighbor!! I just got off 395 at the Damonte Ranch exit headed up Arrowcreek Pkwy right after passing S. Virginia and Zolezzi (sp?). Arrowcreek Pkwy goes from two lanes to one just a few blocks past Zolezzi. It wasn't much of a race but I didn't need much to put him away.

Btw, I love True Blue!!!

I live in the Galena area so keep an eye out for me and I'll do the same! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread