The " SUPER CAR " Debate

Venomm

Established Member
This argument is floating around on another Mustang forum as well as a Corvette Forum... the Question here is:

Would you classifly the "Corvette, Z06, Zr1" as a Super Car... the mustangs side is " if you throw the corvette in this then the 03/04 deserves to be as well " but the push back is "OVER ALL PERFORMANCE" is far greater with a corvette from the Factory... sure the likes of a 03/04 corba will give a base vette a run for its money in the 1/4 but put both cars on a track and test handling/breaking...

I speak this from owning both 03 Cobra ( which roughly $20k was spend on performance, suspension and handling ) and a few C5's and C6's vettes some full built motors by Lingenfelter and some with mild heads/cam/headers... and after owning both I would venture to say the 03/04 cobra is track built for 1/4 mile and Corvette is built for over all performance...

What is the opinion on the SVT side of things...

Is the Corvette an Entry Level Super Car with the Mustang being a "ponycar, sports car, muscle car"

oR

is the Corvette something else in your opinion...

** FREE FOR DEBATE **

Personally I say you cant compare them as they are built for different things like that of comparing a Honda Civic to the likes of a SVT Cobra they both go from point a to point b one faster then the other one with better milage they both have there pros/cons to gettting there...

Common

Established Member
Not rare enough and price tag JUST barely makes it one. However, if GTR fanboys can call that heaping pile of electronic nannies a supercar, so can the Corvette crowd.

LOL at Cobra belonging in the category.

Venomm

Established Member
Not rare enough and price tag JUST barely makes it one. However, if GTR fanboys can call that heaping pile of electronic nannies a supercar, so can the Corvette crowd.

HAHAHA I though about getting there OPINION on this as well just to fire them up some... GTR ( SUPERCAR ) Vs ZR1 ( being a supercar)

bscarberry

Established Member
When I think supercar I think Porsche GT, Koenigsegg CCXR, Enzo, Veyron... not Corvette.

The ZR1 and GT-R are supercar sidekicks. Like Robin to Batman

Last edited:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
ZR1 could be called that. Z06 is not, and the base Corvette is definitely not. An 03/04 Cobra as a supercar? Really? Talk about fanboism

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Let me ask you this, would you classify a Super Snake as a super car? They are rare, hard to come by and expensive.

My answer no mustang will ever be called a super car. The Corvette fits into the category because of its performance, it's like an FGT.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So where do we find the definitive word on what determines a car is "Super"? I always thought that one of the requirements to be classified as a super car was the ability to hit 200+MPH in stock form. If this is the case only the ZR1 from your list qualifies.

U.M.

Venomm

Established Member
ZR1 could be called that. Z06 is not, and the base Corvette is definitely not. An 03/04 Cobra as a supercar? Really? Talk about fanboism

Good points coming in... opening eyes to alot of people, again this is just a friendly debate... :beer:

kingnut

Established Member
Hennessey Venom GT is a supercar. Bugatti is a supercar. an 03/04 cobra is a bargain priced muscle car. its not even close to either of the first 2 vehicles mentioned.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member

+1 No mustang will ever be a supercar. And too me a corvette is not a supercar nor is a GTR. They are all awesome cars but a supercar is something I'd twist my neck to see drive by. A zr1 is the closest to one but still I dunno...

Mustangs, camaros, challengers = pony cars/muscle

corvettes, vipers, gtrs = sports cars

Ford Gt's, ferrari's, any real exotics = supercars

Last edited:

Venomm

Established Member
+1 No mustang will ever be a supercar. And too me a corvette is not a supercar nor is a GTR. They are all awesome cars but a supercar is something I'd twist my neck to see drive by. A zr1 is the closest to one but still I dunno...

Mustangs, camaros, challengers = pony cars/muscle

corvettes, vipers, gts = sports cars

Ford Gt's, ferrari's, any real exotics = supercars

I agree most to this... What would you throw into an " Entry level Super Car "

kingnut

Established Member
LOL dont get me started on "Hennessey" HAHA

1000 to 1200 hp and looks like its gonna weigh under 3000lbs. 2.2 to 60. about as super as it gets if you ask me. built of the Elise platform. i want just a half hour with one.

Venomm

Established Member
1000 to 1200 hp and looks like its gonna weigh under 3000lbs. 2.2 to 60. about as super as it gets if you ask me. built of the Elise platform. i want just a half hour with one.

Dont get me wrong he/ HIS COMPANY makes EXTREMELY FAST CARS but I wouldnt trust him around my old Viper let alone in the same parking lot... most will agree after reading this... nothing against his cars just his way of doing business...

For those who dont know the real story behind John Hennessey/Hennessey Performance

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I agree most to this... What would you throw into an " Entry level Super Car "

I'd probably have to say the V10 Audi R8 based on one of the lowest priced as "entry level" super cars. The v8 one doesn't do anything for me besides look nice. But arguably the ZR1 is a close performer to the 5.2 fsi v10 R8...so it's tough.

Personally I'm more impressed with a V10 R8 than I am with say a 360 Modena.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I don't really count any corvette as a supercar....even tho it may perform at supercar levels. GTR isn't really, but closer to supercar status than the vette since it doesn't have a base model "cheap" version.

And mustang? seriously?
Even the KR's or super snakes will never be super cars, for the same reason the vette will never be, no matter what kinda performance or price tag you get outta it. They make a V-6 mustang.
Same reason I have a problem labeling even the high end porsches super cars.

Venomm

Established Member
I'd probably have to say the V10 Audi R8 based on one of the lowest priced as "entry level" super cars. The v8 one doesn't do anything for me besides look nice. But arguably the ZR1 is a close performer to the 5.2 fsi v10 R8...so it's tough.

Personally I'm more impressed with a V10 R8 than I am with say a 360 Modena.

I have buddies here that live in the Dominion * rich side of SA * that own both and I agree with the Audi r8 being an over all better preformer than the likes of a 360...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
When I think supercar I think Porsche GT, Koenigsegg CCXR, Enzo, Veyron... not Corvette.

The ZR1 and GT-R are supercar sidekicks. Like Robin to Batman

Even though a C6Z and ZR1 shit on most of those cars in almost every category (except for interior amenities and price)?

the above is just overpriced exotics. Super rare, super expensive. Super performers? Not always. Most are just names and johnson enhancers.

IMO cars like the Viper ACR, Ford GT and Corvette ZR1 are definitely supercar category, just because Jeremy Clarkson doesnt think so and thinks every car has to be in the $300k+ category to be a supercar, does not make it true.

03/04 Cobra? not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread