The Texas Mile (Videos Included)

Txoutlaw

Established Member
A friend and I attended the event and it was a blast. I just thought the 1320 was fun, but the mile is just addicting! On Friday afternoon my friend and I left Corpus headed for Goliad, him towing his STI and me towing a 5’x10’ fully enclosed uhaul trailer with our race fuel, tools, racing jacks, jack stands…etc. Once there, I put the truck in race form and let her rip on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday after my last run, I detuned and as we were leaving people were pointing and laughing but not in a bad way (I think they were a little surprised). As I drove by the food vendor area with uhaul trailer in tow, I heard one guy say “hey that’s the same truck that just ran 163”. He gave me the thumbs up and I did the same. It was a pretty good feeling.

There was another gent (David a real nice fella) running his L and his best was 148 & change. I think he had a 4lber, a tune and a few other mods.

I purchased my built engine from a gent named Gary Soulage. This engine was built by Dante. I had PSI Motorsports in Houston tear it down for internal inspection, reassembly, installalation and tuning. I think the performance of my truck is a testament to the great engine builders and tuners that we have in the L community. So my hat is off to DMP and PSI.

Here are some videos of my run down the mile.

This was on Saturday. We had about an 8 mph head wind and just before the end of the mile I had to get out of it because the front of the truck started to lift. You can see the side to side movement during the video. I could tell that the front was getting light but when I lost steering for a split second that got my attention pretty quick. I ran 158 and change on this run.

http://s153.photobucket.com/player....s/s236/TMcW/TM-Oct2007-158.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

This is my best run of the event and I achieved my goal of 160 mph in a mile. I really feel that I would have been a couple of mph better had I not spun so bad off the line. I had to get out of it and then get right back in it which cost me a mph or 2. I ran 163 & change on this run. I really thought I blew this run and you can hear me express my dissatisfaction after the run. The GT500 that went right before I did ran 194 & change.

http://s153.photobucket.com/player....W/TexasMile-Oct2007-163mph.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Here is a link to the Texas Mile page. This is the fastest run for each participant. In the top box click the “Each Participant: Fastest Run” link. After you click the link a box will pop up, select open and it will open an Excel spreadsheet with the information. I was number 140.
The Texas Mile

A guy I work with and his daughter set a couple of new records on Sunday. Jennifer ran 216 & change and Roger ran 211 & change (both on their Hyabusa’s). Jen is the fastest woman ever at the Texas Mile and Roger and Jennifer are the fastest Father/Daughter team ever at the Texas Mile.

There were some other just unbelievably fast cars and bikes there as well. The fastest bike was a turboed Hyabusa w/nitrous (600 + HP) that ran 242 mph & change.

There was a Supra that was also just phenomenal and the fastest car there. The guys name is Tommy Banh and he ran 228 mph & change.

Here is link to his video:
YouTube - Autobanh Supra hits 228MPH in 1 Mile

I did my best to represent the Lightning community with a strong showing. As I drove down the return road back to our pitting area, I was getting a lot of thumbs up, great run comments and a few wanted me to stop for photos. I was very honored by their good gestures. Overall I am really happy with the truck. I ran with a lot of cars and some bikes as well as bested some cars and bikes and the truck never missed a beat. The truck was still pulling on my 163 mph run ever so slightly and the RPM’s were at about 5200 when I crossed the finish line. I am not sure of what the top speed of the truck is but I know it is well beyond the aerodynamics of the truck. I learned a lot that weekend. Top speed is one thing but top speed in a mile is a whole different animal. Plus you got about a half a mile to slow down to make the turn to the return road.

Looks like it’s time to go to school on aerodynamics and aerodynamically enhance this brick for another outing at the Texas Mile in March. I also need to step up the power so the hard part is going to be convincing Patrick to burn me a special tune at 24 -25#s of boost. I also have a few tricks up my sleeve but we will see what happens.

svtsilverback

Established Member
care to share engine/suspension mod list?

i love the videos / 1st time i have seen a video of a L at the mile

cthunder

Established Member
considering you beat a couple of vettes, vipers, and some pretty potent bikes with a truck built like a brick shithouse, I'd say you repped the L community very well. nice time by the way! nice place and person to get a used engine from also!

Txoutlaw

Established Member
Thanks a bunch fellas!

svtsilverback - I really don't have all of the specs since I bought the engine used. Here is what I do know:

*Bored 15,000 over;
*Teflon coated 9/1 custom CP pistons;
*Crower valve springs;
*Total air flow CNC heads;
*SS rings;
*Billit Crower cam speced by Dante;
*Aligned bored, decked, balanced and blueprinted;
*Stock crank;
*Manley H-Beam rods, and
*Federal Mogul HD bearings.

That is all I know about the internals of the engine. My suspension is stock with the exception of 3" drop shackles.

Red-light I uncapped the headers so the engine could breathe a little better and geesh it was loud but I got the full effects of being in a race truck.:rockon:

I hope the L community shows up in full force come March. You could definitiely grenade your motor doing this so I could certainly understand if someone didn't want to subject their truck to this.

Thanks again fellas! :-D

Txoutlaw

Established Member
damn it, I can't get them to work!!! I just get "error on page"
your firewall is probably preventing you from viewing the videos. Give this a try:
Go to google and type in photobucket. After the photobucket site opens, type in tmcw in the search bar that is in the middle of the page and select search. tmcw is my account name. After you click the search button, you will get another page and it will ask "Are you looking for the Photobucket user tmcw?" Right after that you will see a link that reads "Click here to see this user's album". Click the link and it will take you to my account. The videos of my runs are on the top, 2nd and 3rd from the left. The first video is from right after the young lady told me I ran 158 and then continues down the return road.

Hope this helps. If not let me know.

Todd

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Awesome! You repped the Lightning community well. It was nice to meet you at PSI. We'll have to meet up again sometime and hit up some meets or go to the track or something. Maybe my truck will be ready to run the next Texas Mile, who knows.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
why do we hear no supercharger screaming?

awesome job though man, most of em pry still dont know what a lightning is

Txoutlaw

Established Member
Thanks gents!

Awesome! You repped the Lightning community well. It was nice to meet you at PSI. We'll have to meet up again sometime and hit up some meets or go to the track or something. Maybe my truck will be ready to run the next Texas Mile, who knows.
You were the big fella right? Good to meet you as well. Send me a PM when you get your truck finished. I would definitely like to hang out in Houston with you guys for a weekend and as you said hit the track and maybe some Hooters. Hopefully you will be able to bring your truck to the mile in March. It should be a monster.

why do we hear no supercharger screaming?

awesome job though man, most of em pry still dont know what a lightning is
It's funny that you ask, couple of my buddies in the pitting area said man you could hear that SC screaming. The open headers were just hella loud. Once I put the hammer down it was so loud inside the cab that I couldn't hear myself think. I wish I would of had someone take a video from the pit area but it never crossed my mind with the in cab camera.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Thanks gents!

You were the big fella right? Good to meet you as well. Send me a PM when you get your truck finished. I would definitely like to hang out in Houston with you guys for a weekend and as you said hit the track and maybe some Hooters. Hopefully you will be able to bring your truck to the mile in March. It should be a monster.

That be me. I'll definitely let you know when it's done. It'll be a little while, and I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread