The Ultimate Driving Machine My Ass...

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
So I just got the Griggs/Shelby GT500 back on the road after about a month of work on the car, a little by me and a little by Griggs, so I decided to take it out for a shake-down run on some of my favorite back country roads.

I've got this route that's about 40 miles long in 3 sections, the first and last sections are twisty roads that run next to resivoirs and they only have locked/gated side roads, no homes anywhere on them and no line down the middle of the road so you can legally use the whole freaking road, they're also maintained by the water utility district so they are in primo shape compared to most country roads around here; the middle section just connects the two others and isn't all that twisty or fun.

So I do the drive out (freeway) to get to the first section and notice a newer BMW M3 headed towards my first section, later I see that it's a V8 M3 so that's why I say "newer." I keep a nice distance between he and I so as not to scare him any, I also wanted him in front of me when we hit section 1.

When we turn onto section 1 there are two DD's in front of him, I close the gap and he passes by the first DD and I follow, the second DD pulls over once he sees us coming.

And off we go...

I'm following along and not pushing it too hard, then he picks up the pace and starts drifting through a few turns, I don't drift...it isn't the fastest way IMO and I didn't need to drift to keep pace w/him. Finally, I let him out a little, about 25-30 yards, and then I start toying with him. I'd come out of a turn and go WOT and fishtail up behind him, then I'd let him out again. He was working his drift and I could smell his tires and brakes, but I just kept on toying w/him, out and back, out and back.

Finally, after about 3-4 minutes of me letting him out and reelin' him back in, he pulls to the side but only slows a little, I shift down to second and floor it past him.

This is the best part, as I'm passing him, with the supercharger roaring and the rear wheels spinning, I catch a glimps of his face and it's got one of those, holy-shit mother-of-god looks on it :burnout: It was priceless to say the least...

So now I'm in front and I'm not playin' around anymore, I let it rip and he tries, yes, tries to keep up, but he just disappeared behind me.

I continue on to section 2 and 3, no cops, very little traffic the windows are down and the temp is just right; the car runs flawlessly the whole way back to the shop.

Sorry, no video, I forgot the HD Hero this time :nonono:

Last edited:

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
nice, I kinda want to say that he was drifting for fun and not trying to take them quick, but theres no way he would let you get on his ass, pass him, and not try. Nice kill, I love to see the BMW drivers when they get pushed through a good corner.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
nice kill. You would have won the race, when you were stock

You think so? The '11 5.0 GT's are just keeping up with the "11 M3's on a road course, I'm not very confident that a stock '07 GT500 could do the same.
_

nice, I kinda want to say that he was drifting for fun and not trying to take them quick...

He was drifting for fun, he was good at it too.

Last edited:

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
You think so? The '11 5.0 GT's are just keeping up with the "11 M3's on a road course, I'm not very confident that a stock '07 GT500 could do the same.

He was drifting for fun, he was good at it too.

I would say... on the right track an '11 5.0 would give an m3 a LOT of trouble.. in most tracks it'll be a challenge for the m3 owner. Now the '11 gt500's... completely different story.

Not to be... too inquisitive.. but how do you mean by drifting? Was he in the middle of a turn then flooring it to get the rear end loose or was he actually initiating a drift before the turn. I find it hard to believe he'd really be going full out...

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
op, as im reading this race, im thinking "fast and furious tokyo drift". i didnt know the GT500's had very much handling capabilites. thats very good driving skill to be able to control that throttle around the turns against an M3...vids would've been very worthwhile to see for sure!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
op, as im reading this race, im thinking "fast and furious tokyo drift". i didnt know the GT500's had very much handling capabilites. thats very good driving skill to be able to control that throttle around the turns against an M3...vids would've been very worthwhile to see for sure!

With the Griggs Racing suspension upgrades its an absolute animal.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Not to be... too inquisitive...but how do you mean by drifting?[/COLOR] Was he in the middle of a turn then flooring it to get the rear end loose or was he actually initiating a drift before the turn. I find it hard to believe he'd really be going full out...

Good question, he was not flooring it and kicking out the rear end, al la World Drift, he was trottle steering the car to balance its weight and slide the whole car through the turn.
-

With the Griggs Racing suspension upgrades its an absolute animal.

Yes it is :thumbsup:

If his M3 was stock, and it appeared to be, I had about a 100lbs. weight advantage and 200-225whp advantage over him; I also roll on Toyo R888's which are DOT racing tires (100 UTGQ wear rating).

It's a totally unfair match-up IMO, but these contests do happen on the street and most sport car/sport sedan drivers think "fat and doesn't handle" when they see a GT500 and very, very few of them have ever heard of a Griggs Mustang.

Last edited:

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
if you don't mind me asking, other than the suspension mods, what power mods do you have done to ur GT500? It's an awesome looking car! :beer:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
if you don't mind me asking, other than the suspension mods, what power mods do you have done to ur GT500? It's an awesome looking car! :beer:

Bolt ons: JLT CAI, Metco 2.6 pulley, BBK TB, Revan Racing radiator & HE, SLP Loudmouth axle backs, custom tune. 576whp/564wtq

Whipple 2.9 is going on it soon, looking for 650whp/630wtq and cooler IAT's :banana:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
maybe you all should read his sig!! his damn GT500 went to SEMA with Griggs lol. He has quite possibly every singe suspension part from Griggs. His car has nothing stock on the underside of it lol..

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
maybe you all should read his sig!! his damn GT500 went to SEMA with Griggs lol. He has quite possibly every single suspension part from Griggs. His car has nothing stock on the underside of it lol..

^^^all true... GR40TT :: GR40TT Slideshow slideshow by wp64 - Photobucket There isn't one stock suspension part left on my car...

You know these roads:

Section 1 is Calaveras Ave. from Milpitas to Sunol
Section 2 is Niles Canyon/Palomaraes Road from Sunol to Castro Valley
Section 3 is Redwood Road from Castro Valley to Oakland

We should go out for a drive sometime, what's up in the hills behind Campbell?

You ever driven up Mt. Hamilton and down the other side towards Patterson and Livermore? The drive up sucks, the 30 mile drive down and to Livermore is awesome!!!!!!

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^all true... GR40TT :: GR40TT Slideshow slideshow by wp64 - Photobucket There isn't one stock suspension part left on my car...

You know these roads:

Section 1 is Calaveras Ave. from Milpitas to Sunol
Section 2 is Niles Canyon/Palomaraes Road from Sunol to Castro Valley
Section 3 is Redwood Road from Castro Valley to Oakland

We should go out for a drive sometime, what's up in the hills behind Campbell?

You ever driven up Mt. Hamilton and down the other side towards Patterson and Livermore? The drive up sucks, the 30 mile drive down and to Livermore is awesome!!!!!!

No I have never been up there!! That would be awesome. I'm stationed in Mobile AL right now but I'm coming back in Nov so we should definatley go cruising up and down those roads. As for the roads behind Campbell it's pretty much HWY 9 that's about it though. They aren't paved very well at all though. When I come back I'm totally down to get walked all over the place by your GT-500 in the twisties. That would be alot of fun since all I ever get is straight line stuff. I don't know of to many twisties besides hwy1 which I used to live off of in Point Reyes and I own that road from P.R to petaluma lol. If you know the roads I'll just follow your line :beer: might be alittle slower than you though since I don't have nearly as much suspension or R888's lol. I shot John an email a little bit ago but he hasn't replied I'm guessing that they are pretty busy..

Last edited:

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Bolt ons: JLT CAI, Metco 2.6 pulley, BBK TB, Revan Racing radiator & HE, SLP Loudmouth axle backs, custom tune. 576whp/564wtq

Whipple 2.9 is going on it soon, looking for 650whp/630wtq and cooler IAT's :banana:

Very nice! Make sure to post some vids/pics after the Whipple! Your car is a beast man! Stay safe!

:beer:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Man that sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun. I mean going in a straight line is fun and all, but I've always wanted to learn how to carve up the corners.

Derek, if you ever make it out to the Left coast let's get together for some corner carving, I'll even let you drive the car :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread