The Ultimate Roadtrip, The Pan-American Highway

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The Pan-American Highway, in its entirety, is just short of 19,000 miles in length. It extends from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, to Ushuaia, Argentina.

Info below is relatively recent (2019) and from an excellent article written about Eric Rutkow, writer, lawyer, historian and asst. prof at UCF.
The book Eric wrote, “The Longest Line On The Map” is also cited below:

“It was a footnote in a random book in Central America that sent Eric Rutkow — lawyer, author and UCF assistant professor of history — on one of the biggest journeys of his life. The footnote was a nod to the construction of the Inter-American Highway — 3,400 miles of road that stretches from Mexico to Panama. But what Rutkow found so interesting was the mention that this stretch of highway was the United States’ largest global development project between the world wars.”

“And many of those U.S.-Latin American relations started with a railway dream. That railway never came to pass, but it led to a new route to connect the Americas: what would become known as the longest road in the world, stretching 19,000 miles from Alaska to the tip of Argentina.”

IMG_5290.jpeg

“The Darién Gap*

Between Panama and Colombia lies 60 miles of territory shrouded in mystery, danger and very tentative tourism for those who want credit for passing through one of the world’s most dangerous areas unscathed.”

IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg
IMG_5295.jpeg

Source:

Eric’s book, “Longest Line On The Map”:

Another fascinating article on Eric Rutkow and the PAH:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've driven 745 miles of it on Ruta 5 in Chile. From Valparaiso to Pargua and back. Pargua is where you need to take a ferry to cross over to the island of Chiloe where Route 5 ends in Quellon. Taking a ferry is cheating, so I take pride in reaching the southern most driveable point.

Smooth modern highway, well constructed. Reminds me of a modern european highway. Well lit exits and signs. Desolate, no traffic anywhere, in places where I was doing 190kph in my little shitbox Renault. Foot to the floor for 15 minutes never lifted. Wish I had my GT500 instead!
Screenshot_20240402-224324_Maps.jpeg

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Ironically,

I drove parts of the Pan-American Highway while crossing Mexico [north to south] to Guatemala and thru to Guatemala City just about a month ago.

Wish there were signs indicating as such...

Like the "Historic Route-66" signs...

Here's the route I used to cross Mexico to Guatemala>

Nuevo Laredo, Tamps MX to Tapacula, Chis MX

Spent time all across Guatemala & drove about 1,000 miles total there>

Roadtrip > Guatemala

.......................................................................................................

I'll probably post sum pics of my adventure...

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Ironically,

I drove parts of the Pan-American Highway while crossing Mexico [north to south] to Guatemala and thru to Guatemala City just about a month ago.

Wish there were signs indicating as such...

Like the "Historic Route-66" signs...

Here's the route I used to cross Mexico to Guatemala>

Nuevo Laredo, Tamps MX to Tapacula, Chis MX

Spent time all across Guatemala & drove about 1,000 miles total there>

Roadtrip > Guatemala

.......................................................................................................

I'll probably post sum pics of my adventure...

Wow, very cool.
Was that for a vacation?
Weren’t you worried about your safety?
The pics would be great!

Have the Clarkson, Hammond and May done this yet?

Top Gear:
- Patagonia Special
- Bolivia Special

Grand Tour:
- Colombia Special

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Wow, very cool.
Was that for a vacation?
Weren’t you worried about your safety?
The pics would be great!

It was sorta an "impromptu" vacation/trip:

My retired in-laws have a vacation house in Guatemala & wanted to leave another truck at the house so they have "wheels" to get around. There first truck is or was having issues & it was just easier to sell off versus repair it.

They tried calling shipping agents to get a quote & submitted requests online... No response.

Soooo... I offered to drive them & their truck all-the-way down...
Cannonball-style, NON-STOP.

There's two "2-to-3 hour" easy-highway driving sections in Mexico that I would give the keys back to my father-in-law & he couldn't get us lost... So I can pass-out & catch sum ZZZZZ's before jumping back "behind-da-wheel".

For me, this would be my fourth driving trip down to Guatemala... last one I did was back in 2018. I can get across Mexico typically between 24 to 26 hours nonstop.
For me, I've always used the Laredo, TX/Nuevo-Laredo, Tamps international border crossing. Specifically the smaller "Bridge No. 1" about a block or two away from where I-35 ends near the main bridge "No. 2".

Laredo Int'l Bridge 1 MEX View

Laredo Int'l Bridge 2 MEX View

-----------------------

My buddy, aka "Partner-N-Crime", would listen to my stories and had seen pics of my past trips down to Mexico & Guatemala...
Yeah, he thought I was crazy too...
After some cold beers & shots, he wanted to see & experience the "Real Mexico & Guatemala" and hitched a ride with me.

-----------------------

It's not as bad as everyone thinks...
You gotta pay attention to your surroundings and keep eyes-in-the-back-of-your-head... Just be ready to JUMP back in the ride if anything pops off & get the "foook-outta-dodge"
Dress casual & zero jewelry visible.
Be confident & don't appear paranoid...
It like being in any major city/metro-area here in the good ol' U S of A. Stuff happens here too.

Down there, it's actually a GOOD thing to see military presence & police convoys on the road and by the tollbooths... it keeps the "cockroaches" away.

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It was sorta an "impromptu" vacation/trip:

My retired in-laws have a vacation house in Guatemala & wanted to leave another truck at the house so they have "wheels" to get around. There first truck is or was having issues & it was just easier to sell off versus repair it.

They tried calling shipping agents to get a quote & submitted requests online... No response.

Soooo... I offered to drive them & their truck all-the-way down...
Cannonball-style, NON-STOP.

There's two "2-to-3 hour" easy-highway driving sections in Mexico that I would give the keys back to my father-in-law & he couldn't get us lost... So I can pass-out & catch sum ZZZZZ's before jumping back "behind-da-wheel".

For me, this would be my fourth driving trip down to Guatemala... last one I did was back in 2018. I can get across Mexico typically between 24 to 26 hours nonstop.
For me, I've always used the Laredo, TX/Nuevo-Laredo, Tamps international border crossing. Specifically the smaller "Bridge No. 1" about a block or two away from where I-35 ends near the main bridge "No. 2".

Laredo Int'l Bridge 1 MEX View

Laredo Int'l Bridge 2 MEX View

-----------------------

My buddy, aka "Partner-N-Crime", would listen to my stories and had seen pics of my past trips down to Mexico & Guatemala...
Yeah, he thought I was crazy too...
After some cold beers & shots, he wanted to see & experience the "Real Mexico & Guatemala" and hitched a ride with me.

-----------------------

It's not as bad as everyone thinks...
You gotta pay attention to your surroundings and keep eyes-in-the-back-of-your-head... Just be ready to JUMP back in the ride if anything pops off & get the "foook-outta-dodge"
Dress casual & zero jewelry visible.
Be confident & don't appear paranoid...
It like being in any major city/metro-area here in the good ol' U S of A. Stuff happens here too.

Down there, it's actually a GOOD thing to see military presence & police convoys on the road and by the tollbooths... it keeps the "cockroaches" away.

Thanks so much for the stories and info!
Glad your four trips have been safe.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
If you find the crossings interesting, you need to check this out! Looks like the trip of a lifetime! They go through the Darien gap.

Thanks! Great video of their 1978, 22k mile trip. Five CJ’s, and a Cherokee (for support?) from Argentina to Alaska. Fun watch for sure.

I’ve read several places that only two teams have successfully crossed the Darien Gap. The American team in the video above, and a British team ‘72.

What a rabbit hole this turns out to be - lol.

Then there’s this noted American Corvette dealer from Illinois, Dick Doane.

IMG_5410.jpeg

Seen here with Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles.

IMG_5411.jpeg

Back in 1960, Dick sponsored a team to cross the Gap with 3 red Corvairs, just released, and 2 Suburbans and a fuel truck (Suburban?). They started in Illinois and headed south to the Gap.

IMG_5418.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg
IMG_5416.jpeg
IMG_5415.jpeg
IMG_5408.jpeg

One of the Corvairs still resides in the Gap to this day.

IMG_5413.jpeg

The original video:

Recent video from ‘21 telling the story and where I grabbed the pics:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Same year as my first car, a 4-door Corvair, except mine was blue. That footage from @Fastback's video about the Darien Gap was interesting, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread