The "VIBE" and a leaking rear main seal

Mowgli

Established Member
Just found out today my rear main seal is leaking.

My car was a first production run (bought it in June) and it has 11,000 miles on it. (Vin 1391)

Thing is: it was one of the cars with the driveline vibe. (Wasn't that fun going thru last summer? I had two replacement DS's put on it last summer, the second seemed to have fixed most of the problem.)

Anyhow, fast forward to today: at lunch changing the oil, the tech calls me down into the pit, and sure enough there's oil on all the bolts and the swaybar is wet. Pointed right to it. Arg. :(

Can the two be related? Can the driveline "vibe" be affecting the rear main seal?

Another tidbit of info: I occasionally feel vibration in the clutch pedal, but its rare. Warped clutch disc?

Just looking for possible causes as to why the rear main seal might be leaking. Don't want to take it in and have the dealer replace the gasket and retorque the bolts without looking for cause.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I know on one of my old trucks I was going through rear output shaft seals every feew weeks. The driveshaft had a CV joint so I couldnt tell if it was sloppy or not so decided to tear it apart and replace the u-joints and ball/trunion, turns out one of the u-joint cap holes was too large and new cap would fall right through. I ended up replacing the whole shaft with a rebuilt one and it never leaked after that. Not quite the same, but can demonstrate just how little play is required to take out a seal....and in my case there was no noticable vibration or anything when driving.

Mowgli

Established Member
Anything else I should have them check?

Clutch?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Some months back, someone else thought they had a rear main seal leak. It turned out to be leaking from above and running down. I would explore that possiblity first, just to make sure. Don't hear of too many rear seals going out that soon.

If the clutch vibration you mention is actually more of a chatter when you are releasing the clutch, that could be oil contaminating the disk/plate. If they do do the rear seal, have them inspect the clutch and if you can get them to do it, replace the entire clutch assembly. Make sure you mention the clutch chatter to them.

Dana

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks.

I'll let folks know whats up when I get it back. Curious whats above there that could leak.

Mowgli

Established Member
An Update - they couldn't find the source of the leak. They put in dye in the oil and I'm to run it til my next oil change and bring it in to them and they'll blacklight it and try to find the leak.

Hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread