Thermostat Help

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
Im looking for a 160* but all of my local parts stores have stock temps for my 97 Cobra. Can I get one form a Crown Vic or any other models that will work with lower temps. I would rather not order so I can get it done this weekend. Thanks

war_machine92

Banned
get a 190. 160 thermos are more for cars that are run all out all the time. you drive a car with a 160 thermo all day everyday its just gonna stay open once it hits temp once,,, and its never gonna stay cool, especially in the heat. put a 190 in it, it'll stay around 185 then. all day long

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Do a 180 or 190. I know my car never heats up it could be 110 outside and the car stays at 160 all the time no matter what. I have a 180 with 03 cobra rad. It's stays cool.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Thats not what he was asking guys. I know you can use any thermostat from and of the cobras and i would assume that would also include the thermo from the mach and the marauder as well. maybe a mark VIII too.

My 180 stayed dead center of the gauge and never moved. My 160 will stay over the "N" as long as im moving and its not 100+ outside. and if im sitting still it will move up to dead center.

Thats all on stock fan settings

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Go to your local Ford dealer and ask them to search one up. Do NOT trust the auto parts store brands even if they say its compatible with your Cobra. I went through a hell of a time 2 years ago just doing a standard replacement and having the car overheat because the aftermarket ones that were "for my car" did not open all the way inside the goofy aluminum Cobra t-stat housing. I tried a Stant, a Ready-Rad, and another model before going to a Motorcraft OEM replacement.

Just FYI. Perhaps there is a Motorcraft 160 for our application, but I wouldn't trust anything less than OEM for the brand.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I wouldn't use a 160 unless I were running 9+ PSI with a non-intercooled blower.

These engines love to run at 190+, and the only reason you need to run cooler is if you are at risk for detonation due to high IATs and ECTs.

I've been running a stock 195 for years with a 3" copper radiator and a non intercooled KB at 6PSI, and my motor loves it.

Users who are viewing this thread