Thermostat location?????

missile man

Established Member
Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located on our cars? I think it is under the car in the aluminum housing between the short hose connected to the radiator/cooler and the hose coming from the top black pipe tower. I just bought the 160 degree thermostat and want to install it this weekend without making a total mess and disconecting all the hoses. LOL.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Yes, that is where it is at. The Aluminum housing with all the hoses going to it under the front of the motor towards the driver's side.
Have fun not making a mess.

Dana

Poor Todd

Established Member
You can try to drain all of the fluid but it doesn't seem to work right. :rollseyes I got drenched. :nonono:

Oh well...live and learn, and have a bucket ready.
:-D

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I never looked, but is there a drain plug or petcock on the radiator?

I just cracked open the thermostat housing to drain the system when I installed the electric water pump.

Dana

Poor Todd

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
I never looked, but is there a drain plug or petcock on the radiator?

I just cracked open the thermostat housing to drain the system when I installed the electric water pump.

Dana

Yes. There is a petcock on the lower passenger side of the radiator.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Todd,
Does it work any better than the drain it through the thermostat housing trick or is it a mess no matter what?

Dan

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Please let me know if you feel the 160 degree thermostat was an improvement and worth while mod. I have heard both sides to this one.

missile man

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the input. I will have the bucket ready. Will let you know about the performance. I am concerned with the heat here in lower Alabama and wanted to make the engine last longer. Thanks Again.

missile man

Established Member
Good Idea. I don't have a wood clamp but I can sure use a C clamp and couple of pieces of wood. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread