Thermostat

blk96SVT

Established Member
Just wondering if I were to switch my stock thermostat to a Steeda 170 degree (I think thats what it was) would it really make a difference? And if so, how much of difference, besides the fact it would run cooler. Thanks!

Tim

97 horse snake

Established Member
i'm not positive on this, but i think that if you go below 180* sometimes the engine likes to stay in "warm up mode" and is bad for it. i'm sure someone will chime in and come up with the exact answer.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
180* is what you want to get, Also I have heard that the steeda unit is the same one sold at Napa so you are gonna be paying more for the name. When I did my Tstat I also upgraded to a Fluidyne so I cant tell you the gains of a Tstat alone. Good luck.

Alex

97 horse snake

Established Member
welp, i did one in my old truck and there's definately a difference. might not be as noticeable in a car with so much power, but i'm guessing probably another 5hp on the truck. it's cheap and you can pick up a high flow unit at your local pep boys or autozone. make sure to get a new gasket with it. shouldn't cost you more than like $10 total.

blk96SVT

Established Member
Thanks! Im not sure if Im going to do change it out or not, just curious more than anything.

Tim

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by blk96SVT
Thanks! Im not sure if Im going to do change it out or not, just curious more than anything.

Tim

might as well bud. i'm sure you won't regret spending $10 to make your car a little faster. i'm gonna do it pretty soon. i've just been too busy lately to get to pepboys. you should notice some throttle response, especially when it's warmer outside.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I will pick one up here pretty soon. Probably going to wait till March or so. I cant wait till the weather gets nicer. I hate this crap, its no fun driving in it, and Im getting my car washed like every other day cause of the salt (getting expensive).

Tim

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
I have a Hypertech 180 degree stat and ive been told not to go any below that.

Could you tell any difference when you installed it? I wasnt sure if it was 180 or 170. Thanks for clarifying it.

Tim

ALLNTRL

Established Member
A 180 degree is what you want, you don't want to get one any colder than that or it can cause running problems. ;-)

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I could tell a slight difference, but nothing big. No performance gains or anything, but just made the car simply run better. I recommend getting one. Ive been told by other mustang owners and by some websites not to go below 180 b/c of driveability problems.

Users who are viewing this thread