Things they dont tell you in the owners manual

LightningEd

Established Member
To start with, yes I did know better.

I'm on my way to the track, when from behind me comes a chevy ss. He gets on my bumper and when traffic clears he shoots around to my right side. Once along side, he gives me the thumbs down and hits it. I cannot let this pass, so I stomp on the loud pedal and pass him fairly nicely. He tries again, this time with a running start. Again I stay in front. I decide to ice the cake and keep my foot in it through 130 mph. This is where the owners manual is lacking with warnings.) The soft top decides to break at the plastic corners near the cab and does its best impression of a parachute. Right now, it is pretty funny, but at the time all I saw was the top in my mirror.

Please tell me I am not the only one to have ever done such a bone headed thing.

I have ordered the parts to fix the damage. :pepper: :bash:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Lightmare said:
Yeah, I drove around one time in my old lightning with a cape flapping behind me. I'm batman.

ROFLMFAO :lol:

Yea i went hardtop and neva looked back.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Lightmare said:
Yeah, I drove around one time in my old lightning with a cape flapping behind me. I'm batman.

That's so not what I wanna hear right now! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:coolman:

Lightmare

Banned
Skrapmetal said:
That's so not what I wanna hear right now! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:coolman:

Hehehe, no I bought this cover I'm selling to you from a guy here not to long ago. I only put it on my truck once for about 5 minutes.

The Lightning I'm talking about is this one....

ravensxo0mq4.jpg

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Well my Lebra cover jetisoned at 60mph. It dropped all the clamps a pair at a time within 1/2 a second as the soft tonneau and the aluminum frame both lifted off and was completely free of the truck. It reached an altitude of about 20 feet, before getting creamed by a semi.
I replaced it with a hard tonneau.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Lightmare said:
Hehehe, no I bought this cover I'm selling to you from a guy here not to long ago. I only put it on my truck once for about 5 minutes.

The Lightning I'm talking about is this one....

ravensxo0mq4.jpg

Well... my truck WOULD look good with a cape.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
Man that's crazy,i've been up around that same speed with no problem.Now you got me worried,i wonder what speed mine is set to jetison at??:-D

SADF

Established Member
Yeah, I hate the way the factory cover looks. Id rather not even have one and there are times when I actually miss the open bed and "truck look" it had without my gaylords, but those times are rare.

SSKillerF150

Connoisseur of fine whine
Established Member
I got to 135 the other day with one of the bows missing and mine held on. (the ol' lady wanted to bail out though) :) btw if anyone has an extra bow hey wanna get rid of pm me

04 Sonic Blue L

Sittin on 23s
Established Member
damn my buddy has an 01 with the soft top and we were doing about 140ish. . . being idiots. . . but still neck and neck and his soft top was fine. . this was about 6 months ago and the cover is facotry. . (so figure a good 5.5 years old) as it stands today. . . i don't think he is having this problem!!! i have a hard cover and WANT TO GET RID OF IT!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread